Nanaimo Bars

13 posts in this topic

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a recipe for Nanaimo Bars using ingredients that can easily be found in Germany? All recipes that I've found require graham cracker crumbs.

I have substituted those vanilla wafer looking cookies here for graham crumbs or cheesecakes, etc. I just put them in a baggie and roll a glass over them to crush. They sell them everywhere.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I have substituted those vanilla wafer looking cookies here for graham crumbs 

Aren't wafers softer and sweeter than graham crackers? Do you need to adjust the quantities of crumbs to sugar?

2 hours ago, easytodraw said:

The Leibniz  are a good substitute for  graham wafers

Do you use the Butterkekse from Leibniz or something else?

and the  recipe I  use calls for Bird's custard powder so use  the local  Vanilla pudding mix instead . 

Could you please share your recipe? 

Most would say get the layers/proportions right:  NOT like version on new  Canada Post's stamp!  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/nanaimo-bar-canada-post-stamp-controversy-1.5116981

That was a great article! Thank you for sharing!

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Aren't wafers softer and sweeter than graham crackers? Do you need to adjust the quantities of crumbs to sugar?

Usually melted butter is added for a crust. You can use salted butter. Maybe a dash of cinnamon like graham crackers have. 

Nanaimo Bars

From "A little Canadian Cookbook" Fautina Gilbey            Substitutes:

Base:

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup sugar

5 T cocoa

1 t vanilla extract                                                                A package of vanilla suger

1 egg

2 cups  Graham wafer crumbs                                          Liebniz Butterkeks  ( crushed)  .

1/2 cup chopped walnuts                                                  coconut instead of walnuts.

Topping:

3 T milk

2 T custard powder                                                             Dr Oetkers vanilla pudding mix

1/4 cup butter

2 cups confectioners sugar

4 oz semi sweet chocolate

1T butter

Mix the butter with the sugar, cocoa, vanilla and egg in a bowl.

Set the bowl in a suacepan of boiling water and stir until the butter has melted and the mixture resembles thick custard. Mix in the crumbs and nuts/cocnut and pack into an 8 inch  square  pan.

For the topping , mix the milk and custard powder together and  cream with the butter.  Blend in the confectioner's sugar and spread over the base. Allow to stand 15 minutes to harden slightly.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl standing in hot water and then drizzle the mixture over the trop of the custard.

Let set then cut into squares.

Happy Canada Day July 1!

Thank you @easytodraw ! You are the best! :)

Do you use the entire packet of pudding mix or just 2 Tablespoons? Do you use Blockschokolade? Is there any reason you don't use walnuts? Do you use the coconut that you can get in the baking section?

Sorry for all the questions, but I find making Canadian dishes with German ingredients sometimes difficult and knowing in advance what substitutes to use cuts down on the trials and errors.

I have never had Graham crackers, but reading the ingredients and the nanaimo recipe I think plain Leibniz Butterkekse would be a tad sweeter.

I would go for the wholegrain type

61RukG1eIjL._SL1024_.jpg.b1cb1a99a03c67b

or the Digestive Originals which should also be available in Germany

download.jpg.2fa3b32d3bcbfe4a420037a6227

Good  suggestions put forward. I'll try these.

@engelchen

Yes, just 2 TBPS of vanilla pudding powder.

Block chocolate is fine.

Coconut is what i am used to . No other reason. Yes, the coconut in the baking section.

There is really no way to ruin these : 40 miles to the store? Right, then we'll use...

They are always mega calorie yummy   even if you have to eat them with a spoon or  direct from the freezer at 3 a.m..  (Not  that anyone would do that...)

I've found that Speculatius cookies make good substitutes for graham crackers. But, as they're not to be had in summer, here's a recipe for Graham Crackers:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/graham-crackers/

I've included the link because I think the explanation leading to the recipe is very good.

For the flour, I use part whole wheat. For the sugar, I like the larger granulate brown sugar, not the heavy fine kind. Here are the metrics:

375g flour

175g brown sugar

1 Teelöffel baking soda (Natron)                                                     Topping:

3/4 Tl salt                                                                                              3 El sugar

100g butter                                                                                           1 Tl cinnamon

115g honey

75ml milk

2 Eßlöffel vanilla (or you can use Vanillezucker, mix it in with the flour)

I found this recipe to be the closest to graham crackers. I usually bake these without the topping, and don't care about the shape, then when they're cooled crush them and store them in the fridge or freeze them.

Then I always have them for cheesecake.  :)

Or, to be decadant, pair with a salty cheese ...

p.s. I would not use digestive cookies. They're not sweet enough.

I have found graham crackers at several Asian shops in Hamburg.