Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Something in meat that is not available from other food

134 posts in this topic

This morning I felt dizzy again.

I checked iron components in food. Cashews are very high in iron, dark chocolates as well, almonds are quite high, tofu as well. These are foods I had for the last few weeks or so. Didn't eat any meet for more than a month.

The only reason I can think about is that meat has more than just iron that helps me not to feel dizzy.

Another thing I noticed is that if I eat meet my bp goes up by 10 or so and fluctuates around 100/68. If I do not eat meat it is around 90/60.

Food is complex, with a great many components, and of course our bodies are all different and react differently.

There are a variety of things that are present more in meat than vegetables, vitamin B12 is probably the most difficult to get from non meat sources, but there are of course other dietary components such are carnitine, creatine and others that are easy to get from meat and hard from non meat food sources.

Its not just that meat may contain something that vegetables do not, replaceing meat with non meat foodstuffs is very likely to increase your total carb and fibre intake (for example) which depending on your views could either be good or bad.

Meat normally (not always, nothing in life is absolute) has a better protein profile than non meat sources.

The latest trend in hipster eating is a belief that Oxylates in vegetables are making us all sick.  I think this is, like most fads, an utter crock but if you go looking no doubt you will find smoe people who claim thats whats up with you.

Or it could just be psychological.

I don't eat meat and haven't for the past 30 years or so and am not prone to dizzy spells. I'm as fit as fiddle at 72. 

7 minutes ago, bramble said:

I don't eat meat and haven't for the past 30 years or so

You eat fish.

8 minutes ago, bramble said:

I don't eat meat and haven't for the past 30 years or so and am not prone to dizzy spells. I'm as fit as fiddle at 72. 

Good for you  :)  

I hope I can say "I'm as fit as fiddle" when I am 72  :)

Envy you

50 minutes ago, Krieg said:

You eat fish.

Yes, I'm a pescetarian and I eat fish about twice a week. Is it classed as meat, though?

2 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

This morning I felt dizzy again.

I checked iron components in food. Cashews are very high in iron, dark chocolates as well, almonds are quite high, tofu as well. These are foods I had for the last few weeks or so. Didn't eat any meet for more than a month.

The only reason I can think about is that meat has more than just iron that helps me not to feel dizzy.

Another thing I noticed is that if I eat meet my bp goes up by 10 or so and fluctuates around 100/68. If I do not eat meat it is around 90/60.

Not a doctor but that bp seems a bit low, get yourself a steak or two and pig out.

6 minutes ago, bramble said:

Yes, I'm a pescetarian and I eat fish about twice a week. Is it classed as meat, though?

I don't really care if it is "classed as meat", I am not interested in wearing any "I didn't eat meat for X years" batch, the point is that fish is a good source of the nutrients that a vegetarian/vegan diet lacks of, like vitamin B12, carnitine, carnisine, arserine, taurine, creatine, etc.

18 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I don't really care if it is "classed as meat", I am not interested in wearing any "I didn't eat meat for X years" batch, the point is that fish is a good source of the nutrients that a vegetarian/vegan diet lacks of, like vitamin B12, carnitine, carnisine, arserine, taurine, creatine, etc.

As far as I know vegans do not eat even eggs, not to mention fish.

1 minute ago, SmurfLee said:

As far as I know vegans do not eat even eggs, not to mention fish.

Please tell me more about it.

Could be lack of salt.

Meat, especially processed meat is full of it which can cause your blood pressure to rise. If you do not have enough salt your blood pressure could be low making you feel dizzy.

2 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

It's quite normal for blood pressure to increase after eating but there are so many different factors that affect some but not others make it very difficult for a laymen (TT poster) to even answer or give a diagnosis.

More importantly, had you considered that in the time it has taken you to start yet another thread(number 58 in 1 year) you could of contacted your doctor and made an apointment who is qualified to give you a thorough check and answer your questions.

TT is not the place.

2 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

It's quite normal for blood pressure to increase after eating but there are so many different factors that affect some but not others make it very difficult for a laymen (TT poster) to even answer or give a diagnosis.

More importantly, had you considered that in the time it has taken you to start yet another thread(number 58 in 1 year) you could of contacted your doctor and made an apointment who is qualified to give you a thorough check and answer your questions.

TT is not the place.

Is there any limit about how many thread we can start in 1 year?

Why does this bother you?

Of course I saw doc last time, and he asked me to eat meat.

I did not measure bp right after eating. I meant in general, during the time I eat meat, my bp is higher.

7 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Is there any limit about how many thread we can start in 1 year?

I don’t know about threads, but long ago there used to be limits on how many posts (or what percentage of the total board posts) one person could make. Some people may want those rules to come back. 

Not that I want you to post more or less, just to answer your question with a bit of historical background.