converting a 60k km petrol engine to LPG, worth it?

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Is it worth it to convert a 3L bi-turbo petrol engine with ~60.000 km to LPG? The price is very low (0.58euro) compared to 95RON E10 petrol (1.5euro).

I've seen that some tax exempt for LPG has ended in December of 2018 and that by 2022 or 2023, the german guvernment wants to increase the price so that it matches the petrol price. This makes no sense whatsoever to me but nonetheless.

What are your thoughts on the conversion? 

PS: I do drive a lot. Estimated yearly millage will be in the range of 50.000km

I did the conversion of our current car when it was around 60K km.  Totally worth, because it is an X5 with a 4.4 engine.

With 50K km per year you would probably recover your conversion investment quite fast, maybe even in just 1 year depending on how thirsty your car is.   So even if they increase the prices in 2022 you would still save a decent amount of money.  

If the government will really remove all the tax exceptions of LPG I don't know, my crystal ball is not working.  But I've been an LPG user since 2008 and the tax benefits of LPG were supposed to be removed some time ago and the government decided to extend them.   

And then even if they remove the tax benefits completely, it will only increase the price by around 15c, so you will still save money.   It will be more difficult for new conversions to recoup their investment, but by them you would have recouped your money long time ago,

FYI:  I don't know if it will affect you or not, but Eurotunnel does not allow LPG vehicles to travel on its services.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

FYI:  I don't know if it will affect you or not, but Eurotunnel does not allow LPG vehicles to travel on its services.

wow, didn't expect that one. Thx for the info but the only place I travel with the car in the UK is the Isle of Man and I take the ferry for that.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

I did the conversion of our current car when it was around 60K km.  Totally worth, because it is an X5 with a 4.4 engine.

With 50K km per year you would probably recover your conversion investment quite fast, maybe even in just 1 year depending on how thirsty your car is.   So even if they increase the prices in 2022 you would still save a decent amount of money.  

If the government will really remove all the tax exceptions of LPG I don't know, my crystal ball is not working.  But I've been an LPG user since 2008 and the tax benefits of LPG were supposed to be removed some time ago and the government decided to extend them.   

And then even if they remove the tax benefits completely, it will only increase the price by around 15c, so you will still save money.   It will be more difficult for new conversions to recoup their investment, but by them you would have recouped your money long time ago,

Would you be able to recommend a shop for my 3.0L bi-turbo W212 MB?

Also, do I need to revisit any amt/TUV after the conversion?

1 hour ago, xcxvt said:

Would you be able to recommend a shop for my 3.0L bi-turbo W212 MB?

The place I did the conversion does not exist anymore, but this is the place I take my cars for LPG maintenance and I am quite happy with them:

https://www.autogastanken24.de/meisterwerkstatt-berlin/

1 hour ago, xcxvt said:

Also, do I need to revisit any amt/TUV after the conversion?

Yes, you have to put your LPG system in the car papers.   The garage above would do the paperwork for you.

I just called them, they have one person who speaks English.