A vertiable PLETHORA of egg whites...!!!

6 posts in this topic

Sending out an SOS!!!

After teaching three cooking classes in a row lately, my fridge is in danger of being taking over by....egg whites. I have - I kid you not - over 1 liter of the slimy darlings.

SO,

I am looking for suggestions/recipes to make these guys into something that's not run-of-the-mill. We've done meringues (baisers), macarons, macaroons, omelets, pavlovas, angelfood cakes, and I cannot even get next to the idea of a cooked Italian or Swiss icing (frosting).

Please do not tell me to freeze them, Rachel Ray. I have no room.

So other than suggesting facial masques (I veture to say that I could supply enough for two cheerleading squads, but where to find them?), any/all suggestions/recipes are welcome.

Thank-you, in advance.

Mix with salt to roast fish and veg (celeriac baked whole is yummy) in oven with a salt crust. :)

A good start. How many whites to how much fish/veggies? Do you whip them first, or brush on before the salt crust?

For a whole baked celeriac I would use around 100g egg white to 600 g salt. Just mix to a thick paste, no need to whip egg whites.

Hard herbs such as thyme and rosemary can be chopped and mixed in to the paste.

Thank-you. This is also a good way for me to use lots of the herb salt that I have, which is a good thing, as I need to make new stuff for a course in the fall, which is about preserving and cleaning up the garden before winter.

Whole sea bass is super yummy when baked in a salt crust. Not something easy to find squeaky fresh in Berlin though.