Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

landlord not responding to plumbing issue

9 posts in this topic

Hi all - hopefully someone can offer a bit of guidance here. About a month ago we started having a plumbing issue here in our apartment, basically water flows through our toilet constantly and it doesn't flush anymore (it's a tankless toilet so I'm unable to fix it myself). We have the ability to turn off the flow of water but when we do it cuts off water to the rest of the apartment - so anytime we have to run the dishwasher, washing machine, take a shower or turn on a faucet a ton of water is being wasted down the toilet. Plus we have to flush it using a bucket full of water.

So I called the property manger and she said that they'll call me back soon and set up a time when a plumber could come. I waited a week but didn't hear anything. When I called a second time she was totally annoyed and said that the plumber was busy and "we'd have to be patient" two more weeks went by and I sent a polite but rather stern email explaining the fact that it's unacceptable to not have a functioning toilet for three weeks and to please arrange a plumber ASAP. It's been an additional week and I guess my email is simply being ignored. What avenues can I pursue now to make sure this problem is fixed? Is there some sort of government or city (Leipzig) entity that I can file a complaint with? Am I entitled at some point to hire my own plumber and deduct the amount from my rent? I'm also concerned about the amount of water being wasted. I'm pretty sure I'll be billed eventually for the amount of water used in my 'Nebenkosten' although I haven't yet gone through my lease with a fine-tooth comb. This is really frustrating and it would be amazing if someone could give me a bit of advice, thanks!

I am guessing you are not currently living in North America, as your location says!

Are you a member of the Mieterverein ( Tenant's association)? If not ( and why not?), then get down there tomorrow. 

This happens to us every few years, due to calcium buildup on the flusher. The toilet isn't really tankless - it's just that the tank is inside the wall and therefore not obviously accessible.

If pushing and releasing the button repeatedly doesn't solve the problem, you could try to fix it yourself - if the toilet is wall-mounted, the panel with the flush button(s) should come off if you slide it carefully to the left or the right (it's usually to the left). When you then remove it - again, slowly and carefully, it will pull out the flush/water stop mechanism with it. You should then soak the business end of the mechanism in vinegar essence to dissolve the scaling and then put it back.

If you don't feel up to the task, then send the landlord a letter via registered mail in which you point out how much time has passed since your initial complaint and give them a week to send a plumber or you'll arrange for one yourself and send them the bill.

Of course, RedMidge's advice is the soundest - the Mieterverein can help you with all of this.

49 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

if the toilet is wall-mounted, the panel with the flush button(s) should come off if you slide it carefully to the left or the right (it's usually to the left). When you then remove it - again, slowly and carefully, it will pull out the flush/water stop mechanism with it.

That heavily depends on the model, and usually the mechanism is not directly connected to the buttons - but removing the panel gives access to the internals to remove, usually with a manual inside on how to proceed from here. In most cases it's just the swimmer regulating the inflow to the watertank being stuck a bit though, and it tends to be enough then to manually push it up all the way a couple times or rattle that part for a bit as a quick fix.

You can also usually shut off the water inflow for just the flushing mechanism (...instead of the entire apartment) by this point - after just removing the panel with the buttons - with a simple screwdriver or similar.

When we had a similar cistern problem, there was lots of advice on Google/YouTube on how to to open the panel and fix various problems. Just to be sure, I rang the manufacturer and they gave me the advice needed for a quick and easy fix. If it's necessary, many replacement parts are cheap and easy to order online. 

Good luck.

3 hours ago, RedMidge said:

I am guessing you are not currently living in North America, as your location says!

Are you a member of the Mieterverein ( Tenant's association)? If not ( and why not?), then get down there tomorrow. 

More rubbish from you...   its a public holiday tomorrow...   

plus, if they join the MV now, they probably wont do much for them anyway as existing cases are usually not covered..

46 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

More rubbish from you...   its a public holiday tomorrow...   

plus, if they join the MV now, they probably wont do much for them anyway as existing cases are usually not covered..

Or the next day. They may not cover  a court case, but will usually write a letter to the landlord.

Here's to the lord of rubbish -SP.

13 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

The Mieterverein will help with advice and write letters even without legal costs insurance with them as soon as you become a member. I already had legal costs insurance which included Mietrechtschutz when I joined my Mieterverein years ago, so my anual membership fees are less than if legal costs insurance was included. 

I recall that I said "they probably wont do much"...  that means they will more than likely not do anymore than the OP has already done... 

The OP has already received advice here.. the same advice that the MV will probably give...  

The OP has already writted to the Landlord stating there is a problem that needs to be fixed...  The same that the MV will probably do.. 

If I was the OP.. I would probably imply that rent with  a 20%  reduction will be paid until the problem is resolved...