Salary ranges Web Developer in Munich

39 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Krieg said:

TT is a forum for ENGLISH speaking FOREIGNERS living in Germany.   We help each other in the daily chores of surviving in Germany as a non German, and in plenty of cases, a foreigner who can't speak yet any German language.

The experiences of a German living in Germany do not help us when the non-Germanness is the key issue in a thread.    Of course, opinions from Germans are welcomed when they are relevant, but you have proven to be wrong so many times about your own country than some of us do not really trust your information anymore and read it always with a grain of salt.

That you disagree with me doesn´t mean I´m proven to be wrong. Just let the OP decide for herself whether she deems my input relevant.

Don´t want to partypoop but you will be subject to FATCA and therefore double taxation. You need to figure this into your budget too.

I’ll add my 2 cents as someone who left SF six years ago for Germany with kids. It’s cheaper here. We still don’t pay in rent what we paid in Marin even after moving to Munich 2 years ago from elsewhere in Germany.  We choose to put our kids in public school, although they were smaller when we moved here than yours OP will be if you move.  The oldest is starting at gymnasium next year.  The schools have never tried to shuttle the kids off into separate tracks due to the fact their parents do not speak German.  My experience is that the teachers in fact have tried to help us help our kids overcome any issues they have with German, by suggesting extra work we could do with them. Yes the teachers don’t go over and above, but they don’t for any student from what I have seen.  There is a super focus on learning German, but it is the language of the country, I’m okay with that.  

As a female that works in tech, please make sure the company culture is one that can handle female leads. I cannot count how many times at one company I worked where the females at stand-up were referred to as girls, the few of us there were. Or if we challenged something, it could not be directly without being accused of being emotional. 

Oh and taxes. If most of your income is from wages, double federal taxation isn’t a huge issue due to the high tax rate here, but CA may still want their cut. 

1 hour ago, jeba said:

How is that relevant? 

If you are genuinely asking what is the relevance of the proximity in time or space (or indeed lack of) of your opinions to the OP‘s set of circumstances, I do not think I can help you.

I can see however why others frequently become irritated with the contents of your posts. 

Do you have any CURRENT perspectives on Montesorri schools in MUNICH to offer?

Is it really worth it to relocate to another country with a family of four just for Wanderlust -- whatever that means. 

Especially if you are taking a hefty pay cut -- if I know San Francisco's salary levels well, not to mention kids at an important stage of their education. Especially if the education is conducted in another language. The move to Germany with a family makes the most sense if its permanent. It would even be a good idea if it was permanent.

Also worth noting is that its actually very hard to leave Germany once you decide to in a few years. I have failed to leave the country and yet am single with no children. 

3 hours ago, The Vindictive said:

Is it really worth it to relocate to another country with a family of four just for Wanderlust

Yes, for many it is. I would say that that is why many of us moved to Europe originally. As my dad always said, do it all while you are you are young and healthy. Have no regrets.

People are leaving the SF area in hoards due to the high cost of living, taxes, etc.

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing their perspectives and experiences.

My kids are young - oldest is 7 so I’m not yet worried about gymnasium.  The 2 year old, who cares?

I’m not extravagant so based on the info shared, I think we could make it on that salary.

On 6/9/2019, 11:42:42, MikeMelga said:

The German primary school has one single and stupid objective: for your kid to master the German language, so that at the age of 10 his teacher will decide all his life by pre-assigning him to either a Gymnasium, a Real Schule or an hauptschule. As your kid is not German and will have a bad German language level, they will send him to Real Schule or hauptschule, thereby potentially fucking up his life.

Mike Melga is correct. The problem is especially the children who would have gone to Gymnasium in their home language or country, but here, only because of their German not being good enough, they were not allowed to. It happened to 3 families I know (English, French and Italian). 

Your 7 yr old would be going into the 2nd grade in Sept (?), so would need to go to an English or bilingual school. The German primary school is not designed to allow learning the language by immersion and it is not about fun and learning, because there is the deadline midway through the 4th grade that Mike alluded to, that is the focus of the syllabus.

HOWEVER This is not meant to put you off coming, and you were originally asking about salaries. But an international school is definately something to potentially factor in cost-wise, at least for your 7 yr old.

I agree with MMelga's comments. And Norcal puts it succinctly. Attitudes in Germany are much more patriarchal than in the Anglo-Saxon cultures, i.e. women really are not taken seriously and can be perceived as a huge threat to be undermined if they eclipse their male counterparts too obviously. Have T-shirt.

Jeba has a place on TT, even when he is wrong. Insight provided by Germans is valuable, even if expats' experiences are different.

OP and her husband may be interested to read Jeremy's experiences as a stay-at-home dad. Trailing spouses never have it easy and men are generally not good at coping with boredom and isolation, less so than women I think at any rate. Food for thought.

130K is a very good salary. If you cannot live on that, you would be pretty atypical.

3 hours ago, ZA1234 said:

German primary school is not designed to allow learning the language by immersion

Montessori schools are though. The bigger problem would be to find a vacancy in one of them.

3 hours ago, ZA1234 said:

Your 7 yr old would be going into the 2nd grade in Sept

Not necessarily. Kids can start in grade one when 7 years old as well. At least in Bavaria (and I´d bet it´s the same in other states).

Thanks everyone for all of their thoughtful responses to my query.

It took a long time but the company and I came to terms. 

I got the 130K and the relocation package I was looking for.

The location was Stuttgart instead of Munich which was fine with me since I've never lived in either place.

We sold everything and did the entire move in about 2 weeks and we finally arrived last Wednesday.  Let the house out, sold the cars, sold all the furniture, taking only a few bags.  I am very impressed with our resourcefulness.

Anyway, I will start different threads because now that we are in the city, we have lots of other questions.

But thanks everyone, for all your help and your answers to my newbie questions!

Keri

On 6/11/2019, 2:38:37, fraufruit said:

People are leaving the SF area in hoards due to the high cost of living, taxes, etc.

More hordes coming than going...

San Francisco Population Growth

San Francisco is one of the 20 fastest growing cities in the United States. It's estimated that thousands of new residents will call San Francisco home by 2040, and the city Planning Director said that the city would need more than 92,000 more housing units and 191,000 new jobs to accommodate this growth. The Bay Area as a whole will need 1.1 million additional jobs and 660,000 new housing units to provide for an estimated 2.1 million more people who will move to the city by 2040.

The population of San Francisco is projected to reach 969,000 by 2035, which is nearly a 20% increase from today's population, and development is already underway to help the city grow. 80% of the city's growth is likely to occur in just 20% of the city, and the density of San Francisco will only go up.

Welcome to Baden-Württemberg! Hope you have a great summer! Come and have a swim in the Bodensee if it gts too hot (2 hrs away).

On 7/21/2019, 8:06:28, Keri Carpenter said:

Thanks everyone for all of their thoughtful responses to my query.

The location was Stuttgart instead of Munich which was fine with me since I've never lived in either place.

We sold everything and did the entire move in about 2 weeks and we finally arrived last Wednesday.  Let the house out, sold the cars, sold all the furniture, taking only a few bags.  I am very impressed with our resourcefulness.

Anyway, I will start different threads because now that we are in the city, we have lots of other questions.

But thanks everyone, for all your help and your answers to my newbie questions!

Keri

130K for Stuttgart is really good amount as I think its bit cheaper compared to Munich

On 21.7.2019, 20:06:28, Keri Carpenter said:

We sold everything and did the entire move in about 2 weeks and we finally arrived last Wednesday.  Let the house out, sold the cars, sold all the furniture, taking only a few bags. 

I'm happy for you that you got the salary you wanted, but what about the relocation package? Does the company know what it needs to do to hire a foreigner? With that salary you'd think they'd want you to start soon and would have made some preparations.

Please post back once you get everything sorted.

Engelchen,

yes, they have a global mobility department that is now helping me.

i have my work contract and a wohnungsgeberbestatigung.  In the next few days I’m going to register with the city and start the process of applying for my blaue Karte.

Still much to do, but I’m here and getting settled!

thanks for all your help.

23 hours ago, CryptoAndBeyond said:

May I ask which co. in Stuttgart provides such a high salary to web developer ?

She will be managing (or did manage in SF) 30-50 web developers. 

On 23.7.2019, 19:12:11, Keri Carpenter said:

yes, they have a global mobility department that is now helping me.

i have my work contract and a wohnungsgeberbestatigung.  In the next few days I’m going to register with the city and start the process of applying for my blaue Karte.

Maybe the person responsible for your file was on vacation or is really new. They should have had everything organised for you when you landed. I really hope that they do better in the future.