unemployment benefit

89 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, maxie said:

Even if your German is good, it might be an idea to get someone to attend the appointments with you. Someone who knows the system and can set an ignorant caseworker straight.

Just to add to this:

When talking to officials in the Job Center, you have the right to take along a witness. Any witness, with or without deeper knowledge of the system.

The German term for this witness is Beistand. The German phrase to use if you are challenged by the officials: "Diese Person ist mein Beistand. Ich habe ein Recht darauf, dass er dabei ist!"

This witness may listen to everything and take written notes!

(Yes, I have been the Beistand for people talking to the Job Center. Made a big difference - the utterly broke applicant was immediately given a cash payout.
Pro tip: I also wore good clothing and was unfailingly polite, even when barked at.
When the official yelled at me if I were the Rechtsbeistand - a lawyer - I sidestepped the impersonation trap and politely repeated I was the Beistand - a witness. Never be intimidated if you help others at the Amt.)

My husband is always smartly dressed, very polite, calm and considerate. He usually takes a witness/local German friend but only because unemployment is new. we know that the work permit isn't required right now but November will be here in no time and I think the point this lady was making was that without a work permit employers may be less inclined to give employment . We have on the whole not bothered with the Brexit thing but it has affected our lives by not being decided. People in a panic. We've ended up in a bad place and we are not the only ones. It was suggested that returning to UK would be an option.  How. No credit rating there.  Impossible rental laws. High house costs

12 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I find it remarkable that someone can work for 41 years and 44 years and not have any savings.

We did have savings. However when my husbands office transferred him we ended up with a house that needed a restoring . Believing he had a job we piled all of our savings into the property.  His company messed him around for a month before admitting that there was not a job. This property is now up for sale fully restored.  My husband was lied to by his old manager who was also his friend. The guy hadn't got the gumption to stand up to the top brass and threw us to the lions. Hes off our xmas card list for sure

To OP, sorry to hear of your situation.  Sadly, the truth is  hard to hear for over 50s in the employment sector, and no job is for life.

Hope the house sale goes through and you can adjust your next stage in life.

15 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

, and no job is for life.

That has really changed in Germany over the past 25 years or so. 

30 years ago it wasn’t uncommon at all for someone to retire from the same place they did their ausbildung at. 

Now that is highly unlikely to happen. 

21 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

To OP, sorry to hear of your situation.  Sadly, the truth is  hard to hear for over 50s in the employment sector, and no job is for life.

Hope the house sale goes through and you can adjust your next stage in life.

We probably seem a bit feeble but we have never been unemployed,  never been in debt apart from the mortgage, never experienced anything nasty until the last couple of years. Our life was balls, eating out, no financial worries. I do know that we had a charmed life but we also worked very hard for it. We find the best information comes from those who have been here before.  We'll be fine once we have sorted out the new life rules

12 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I find it remarkable that someone can work for 41 years and 44 years and not have any savings.

We did have savings. However when my husbands office transferred him we ended up with a house that needed a restoring . Believing he had a job we piled all of our savings into the property.  His company messed him around for a month before admitting that there was not a job. This property is now up for sale fully restored.  My husband was lied to by his old manager who was also his friend. The guy hadn't got the gumption to stand up to the top brass and threw us to the lions. Hes off our xmas card list for sure

^^^ This.

@annieb8822 You don't have to justify your past actions to anyone on this board and it won't help your current situation. Concentrate on getting things sorted with the Arbeitsamt, looking for a new job and selling the house. It's a worrying time for anyone in a situation like yours and it's obvious from your comments that this isn't something you have had to deal with before so it makes it all the more worrying if you are over 60 and in a foreign country.

46 minutes ago, theGman said:

Don't worry about any comments RenegadeFurther makes, he revels in being a snidey Twunt. I hope things work out for you.

Not to mention the relative hypocrisy of telling someone else they shouldn't blame a beamter when he started an entire thread to find out if the police would raid a gov't office to get paperwork he failed to maintain copies of. SMDH

@annieb8822

When you do find someone to buy the house... make sure that you dont make a huge proffit on it as you will get clobbered for capital gains taxes... 

maybe talk to a tax advisor first t find out what you may get lumbered with... 

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

When you do find someone to buy the house... make sure that you dont make a huge proffit on it as you will get clobbered for capital gains taxes... 

Nope.

You never have to pay income tax on any profit that you incur from selling a house only you ever lived in, no matter how short a time you lived in it:

20 hours ago, annieb8822 said:

I do know that we had a charmed life but we also worked very hard for it. We find the best information comes from those who have been here before.  We'll be fine once we have sorted out the new life rules

Just remember that it's perfectly alright to ask for help and at as many places you can think of. 

I'm glad things are looking up a bit for you.  

12 hours ago, theGman said:

Don't worry about any comments RenegadeFurther makes, he revels in being a snidey Twunt. I hope things work out for you.

12 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

^^^ This.

@annieb8822 You don't have to justify your past actions to anyone on this board and it won't help your current situation. Concentrate on getting things sorted with the Arbeitsamt, looking for a new job and selling the house. It's a worrying time for anyone in a situation like yours

I second and third this! Ignore the trolls! (You can also report them.)

Yes, the OP sometimes wasn't very organized or clear in her postings in the past, but IMHO she is extremely overwhelmed to the point it read like a movie script.

At least they are now getting advice and help.

8 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

Nope.

You never have to pay income tax on any profit that you incur from selling a house only you ever lived in, no matter how short a time you lived in it:

ok... I thought that they lived in the place... and it wasnt a second property!

On 5.6.2019, 10:06:41, annieb8822 said:

Could anyone advise on how long we must wait for unemployment benefit payments. we are now on week 9 of no wages. the last payment from my husbands work was just 450 after they finally admitted that the position that we moved across Germany for was not available. We were not able to return to our old place and my husband was sacked.

This thread seems to have taken some turns and I didn't notice the obvious answer to this question yet.

Basically if we're talking unemployment money and not welfare, then if your husband lost his job through any fault of his own you don't get unemployment money for the first 3 months.

He has to have registered with the Arbeits Agentur at the earliest possible opportunity and preferably 3 months before being unemployed if he had prior warning or a limited contract.

If I misinterpreted the question then sorry, carry on folks ...

On 06/06/2019, 20:47:19, annieb8822 said:

WMy husband was lied to by his old manager who was also his friend. The guy hadn't got the gumption to stand up to the top brass and threw us to the lions. Hes off our xmas card list for sure

Any chance of talking to the old manager about going back to the old job and husband living in a small rented flat/room during the week on a limited contract? 

On 06/06/2019, 21:26:53, annieb8822 said:

We probably seem a bit feeble...

No. Absolutely not. You come across as very resilient against all the odds in a foreign environment. I doff my hat to you both and wish you strength and courage as you navigate the white waters. Life has thrown shit at you. It happens. But this has come in bucket loads. Fast. I feel for you, really. Chin up and keep buggering on. I get what you mean about going back to UK. Property prices mean this is no longer an option for many expats.

1 hour ago, black1 said:

Any chance of talking to the old manager about going back to the old job and husband living in a small rented flat/room during the week on a limited contract? 

This was approached already, the OP has some sort of handicap and can't be left alone for long periods, so this is not an option.   Or something like that.

On 6/6/2019, 12:28:48, LeonG said:

Before you starve you should swallow your pride and go to the job center as a mittellos and ask if they can lend you money to tide you over until unemployment comes in.

Will this really work? 

As far as I am aware they own property (with a low mortgage) so the Job center will take that into consideration when deciding on their case. If they have a lot of equity in their property then they would not be entitled to support.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

This was approached already, the OP has some sort of handicap and can't be left alone for long periods, so this is not an option.   Or something like that.

Oh OK, sorry, thanks.