unemployment benefit

89 posts in this topic

Could anyone advise on how long we must wait for unemployment benefit payments. we are now on week 9 of no wages. the last payment from my husbands work was just 450 after they finally admitted that the position that we moved across Germany for was not available. We were not able to return to our old place and my husband was sacked.

He has had 2 interviews at the job centre but they have not said when we might get any money. They have only started his unemployment from may 17.

we now have no money. I have to have certain medication that I can not afford to pay for. I have been told that it is my choice if I do not take it. it has been suggested that my son leaves uni to work. He is on his last year. It has been suggested that we get rid of our dogs.

we are selling unwanted items, the house is up for sale and the car will go soon.

the job centre have said that travel time for a job of 3 hours is acceptable. I presume they mean 3 hours total. All of my husbands interviews have been an hours drive away but without a car it can be much more.

The bank have helped but now need to know how much longer this help must go on for. We know that we´ll get 60% of his old wage, so once we start getting the payments we will be better off than most.

we had no idea that this was going to hit us so spent all of our savings on restoration of the house.

We had to start giving the food in the freezer to the dogs. This is not their fault.

my husband applies for jobs daily. Most of the time he gets no reply. He has been to several interviews. Yesterdays was really promising but when he got there he was told it was only fill in work if someone went sick. Other times hes gone for an interview only to be told that the position is already filled from within the company.

I fully understand now how some people can end up on the streets feeling worthless and how others feel that to end their lives is better than being treated like scum.

we have worked all of our lives. my husband for 44 years with only 10 days sick. me for 41 years with only 6 weeks taken sick and now we are not worth a civil answer to a civil question

7 hours ago, annieb8822 said:

Could anyone advise on how long we must wait for unemployment benefit payments. we are now on week 9 of no wages.

the job centre

Are you familiar with the saying "garbage in, garbage out"? If you want accurate advice, you need to provide accurate info.

In Germany the Job Center is the misnamed welfare office responsible for processing applications for needs based benefits derived from SGB II, whereas the Agentur für Arbeit is responsible for (contribution based) unemployment benefits derived from SGB III. Although some municipalities have both offices in the same building and it is not always easy for the public to see the distinction, this distinction remains important. Applying for the correct benefits at the correct office will be faster than waiting until the application lands at the right desk.

4 hours ago, LeonG said:

On another thread I suggested he should tell them that you are "mittellos". It's a type of keyword for no money, no food and need help fast. Did you try that?

This is a good idea, however, it is important to note that although the Agentur für Arbeit sometimes takes a few weeks to process applications (or longer if documents are missing), the Job Center are required to process your application quickly if you are mittellos.

In addition to the application at the Agentur für Arbeit, it also possible to apply for welfare benefits to tide you over until you receive the unemployment insurance benefits. Keep in mind that depending on when you receive the unemployment insurance benefits, the welfare benefits might need to be paid back.

7 hours ago, annieb8822 said:

my husband for 44 years with only 10 days sick. me for 41 years with only 6 weeks taken sick and now we are not worth a civil answer to a civil question

How well do you speak German? Unless either you or your husband speak German well, you should also look for an NGO offering assistance to foreign workers.

BTW, you might want to also look into whether or not the company owes your husband wages for the time he was still in their employ and the company failed to give him the opportunity to work.

Yes we do speak German. We are going to the right people.  We don't want to beg for money.  We have never had to do this before. We have just come up against a snotty young woman who thinks that she can treat my husband like dirt.  She will not answer a simple question 

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

BTW, you might want to also look into whether or not the company owes your husband wages for the time he was still in their employ and the company failed to give him the opportunity to work.

Agreed. They can't just stop paying him because they don't have work. I think they can sue the employer for unpaid wages most definitely. I'm not sure about the moving costs because they agreed to the move but still very nasty of the employer to have them move and after that decide they don't have a job there after all.

Maybe you should try a little job-seeking on here?

What business is your husband in? What can he do? Where are you based? etc.

There are TTers throughout Germany, and most of them are the nice, helpful sort, so with a bit of luck, you might find something through TT.

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but if your husband has been working for 44 years, he must be near retirement age. Is early retirement an option?

It is a nasty situation and I feel the company still owes your husband money, at least for notice of termination. 

8 hours ago, engelchen said:

In Germany the Job Center is the misnamed welfare office responsible for processing applications for needs based benefits derived from SGB II, whereas the Agentur für Arbeit is responsible for (contribution based) unemployment benefits derived from SGB III. Although some municipalities have both offices in the same building and it is not always easy for the public to see the distinction, this distinction remains important. Applying for the correct benefits at the correct office will be faster than waiting until the application lands at the right desk.

Yes, of course, but if for example the OP's husband has been working and paying contributions as an *employee* (versus for example a freelancer) for less than a year, he isn't eligible for Arbeitslosengeld 1 from the Argentur fuer Arbeit.

He would have to apply for ALG 2 (formerly Hartz 4) from the Job Center right after losing the job. (I once was in a similar situation.)

No idea if my guess is right here. Am just throwing out the possibility.

My husband worked for 4 years with the company that messed him around. with Brexit looming they told him he had to transfer across germany. we did this. we then had a month of messing around where he was being sent from one site to another, meetings with people that didn´t turn up before someone finally admitted that there was no job to transfer to. he was given €450 because he hadn´t worked for the month and told to return to his old job until Brexit sorted itself out. we had sold our house and this wasn´t possible. we had also piled all of our savings into renovating the new place.

my husband was sacked because he could not dive for 2 1/2 hours to work and 2 1/2 hours to return home. it was also suggested that he left me in the new house and return to our old area. 

he has done everything correctly. all was fine until he came up against this young woman who is treating him like dirt. He has tried saying we are mittellos and we are following their instructions as best we can. we are to sell out tv, pc, any valuables, car and house. however the tv and pc are old, the car sale will prevent him looking for work and renting is going to be more expensive than a mortgage. we have also been told to get rid of our dogs and tell our son to leave uni. my son will be starting his last year in uni and pays his own way. this girl is saying that she can not see the problem with my husband driving 2 1/2 hours to work as 3 hours is acceptable. His shifts are 12 hours long. he has to be in work 30 minutes before his shift starts and often didn´t leave work until 30 minutes after his shift ended.

she has said that at his age it is a big problem. he is 60. he started work at 16 and never been out of work yet his is being treated like a layabout by this girl

I find it remarkable that someone can work for 41 years and 44 years and not have any savings.

One never knows... maybe they have bought property here that needed renovations and so on...  once you start on renovations.. its a bottomless pit..

I know people that have lived in Germany for 12years and dont speak German!    Some folks even longer and they can just about order a beer and food..

1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

...  Some folks even longer and they can just about order a beer and food..

What more do you need! 

17 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I find it remarkable that someone can work for 41 years and 44 years and not have any savings.

Bit harsh, you don't know the circumstances of their life.  Maybe in comparison to others they earn very little and  as Piggy said, there could be a reason why their savings have been wiped out suddenly.

And plenty of people struggle to survive month-to-month and can't save, even in a "wealthy" country like Germany.

34 minutes ago, annieb8822 said:

My husband worked for 4 years with the company that messed him around. with Brexit looming they told him he had to transfer across germany. we did this. we then had a month of messing around where he was being sent from one site to another, meetings with people that didn´t turn up before someone finally admitted that there was no job to transfer to. he was given €450 because he hadn´t worked for the month and told to return to his old job until Brexit sorted itself out. we had sold our house and this wasn´t possible. we had also piled all of our savings into renovating the new place.

my husband was sacked because he could not dive for 2 1/2 hours to work and 2 1/2 hours to return home. it was also suggested that he left me in the new house and return to our old area. 

he has done everything correctly. all was fine until he came up against this young woman who is treating him like dirt. He has tried saying we are mittellos and we are following their instructions as best we can. we are to sell out tv, pc, any valuables, car and house. however the tv and pc are old, the car sale will prevent him looking for work and renting is going to be more expensive than a mortgage. we have also been told to get rid of our dogs and tell our son to leave uni. my son will be starting his last year in uni and pays his own way. this girl is saying that she can not see the problem with my husband driving 2 1/2 hours to work as 3 hours is acceptable. His shifts are 12 hours long. he has to be in work 30 minutes before his shift starts and often didn´t leave work until 30 minutes after his shift ended.

she has said that at his age it is a big problem. he is 60. he started work at 16 and never been out of work yet his is being treated like a layabout by this girl

I think maybe he should have rented a tiny room and come back at the weekends. A brutal situation for you though. Sorry to hear about it. Your husband could contact the company and say he has reconsidered, see what they say, rent a tiny place for him. It's an option. At 60 it is a massive problem. That is early retirement age here. Over 45-50 is a problem in Berlin.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Bit harsh, you don't know the circumstances of their life.  Maybe in comparison to others they earn very little and  as Piggy said, there could be a reason why their savings have been wiped out suddenly.

Is it harsh to blame some case worker for their life choices?

4 hours ago, annieb8822 said:

Write down everything she has said and make a complaint about her. It is definitely not acceptable to drive a total of 5 hrs per day as a commute. You can not be expected to sell your car even if you were applying for social benefits if it's worth less than 8500. Your son as a student with no or just enough income to support himself can not be expected to support you. Your husband paid into the system and is entitled to unemployment benefits. It's not like the caseworker is paying it out of her own pocket.

Before you starve you should swallow your pride and go to the job center as a mittellos and ask if they can lend you money to tide you over until unemployment comes in.

Nothing to add to the suggestions, except that you might be able to also file a "Dienstaufsichtsbeschwerde" against the case worker. In addition to speaking to her boss.

Depending on where you are in Germany, there might be a Tiertafel not too far away where you can get food for the dogs. Also a Tafel where you could get food for yourself.

As engelchen said, that your husband's employer paid him only 450 € seems very illegal. He has a contract, no? They can't just decide to adjust the salary after they should have paid it. If they have several offices across Germany, they probably have a works council. It has probably been mentioned before but he should definitely contact them.

And ffs stop talking about begging for money. You might need to swallow a bit of pride - I know I would probably feel the same way you do about having to apply for benefits - and grow a pair. It's help you are entitled to. Your husband worked, paid into the system, now he needs help and he should get it. The whole point of the Sozialstaat.

You could also check Verbraucherzentrale or Caritas. No idea if they help in this kind of situation, but if not, they might know who does. Even if your German is good, it might be an idea to get someone to attend the appointments with you. Someone who knows the system and can set an ignorant caseworker straight.

It turn out miss high and mighty made a mistake and we'll get some money in a few days. My husband saw the original lady today. The one who actually helps. He came away with a pile of jobs to apply for but some information that we didn't know. If there is a hard Brexit the benefits will stop. My husband intends to be working. His big problem is that he now needs a work permit. In big towns these are being issued. Not so in small places where we are told that we are EU and not needed. My husband has been told to try the bigger town and try and push the issue.  Huge difference seeing a different person. We do not have to sell the car as we live in a rural area,  nor do we have to sell our home as our mortgage is small. He has been advised to tweak his CV because it doesn't list all of his accomplishments. It was well worth returning because no one person has a right to make another feel so worthless 

3 minutes ago, annieb8822 said:

His big problem is that he now needs a work permit.

No, he doesn't. Until the UK actually leaves the EU, British citizens do not require a work permit for Germany. 

5 hours ago, engelchen said:

I highly doubt that only paying him 450€ was legal. You need professional help. I would suggest contacting a Beratungsstelle such as one of these: https://www.faire-mobilitaet.de/beratungsstellen

Again I would strongly recommend that you try one of the Beratungsstellen in your area.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

No, he doesn't. Until the UK actually leaves the EU, British citizens do not require a work permit for Germany. 

Berlin are already giving out permanent residency permits to Brits.