German B1 certification

9 posts in this topic

I am living in Berlin and working in a kindergarten. When my contract expires, to receive a new contract I need a B1 certification. I’ve completed A2.2 but haven’t been using my german much recently so I’m a bit rusty. Is there an online course that offers an exam test at the end of the course? I’d like to do it online because I work 40 hours a week. Doesn’t leave me too much room to take a class (yes I know I could take evening classes. Just seeing if there’s another way). I have seen plenty of online courses that offer certificates recognized by universities but are there any recognized by the government, as that is what I need for my job.

I think you first need to find out what your employer will accept as sufficient proof.   If they want a certification such as Telc or Goethe, then the only way to achieve this is to take one of these exams, so before you do something else and follow advice on here then you need to verify this first.

Goethe offers a significant discount for taking the exam for those students that have studied with them.  But they are not the cheapest and it might be cheaper to take other courses, such as VHS, and then pay the full price for the exam.

So the way I understand it, it’s not really up to my employer but to the government. I work at a private kindergarten but I am paid by the government through a grant program. I will talk to my boss this week and see if they’re aware of what is sufficient. Unfortunately I’m the first foreign language speaker they’ve hired in a few years and things have changed a bit since the last one they did hire I think. I’ve met all other requirements. My employer likes me. The kids like me. They want me to stay. This is just the last thing needed and there is no way to extend it or get around it.

9 minutes ago, KarlMaxwell said:

So the way I understand it, it’s not really up to my employer but to the government. I work at a private kindergarten but I am paid by the government through a grant program. I will talk to my boss this week and see if they’re aware of what is sufficient. Unfortunately I’m the first foreign language speaker they’ve hired in a few years and things have changed a bit since the last one they did hire I think. I’ve met all other requirements. My employer likes me. The kids like me. They want me to stay. This is just the last thing needed and there is no way to extend it or get around it.

Not sure why the Government  should pay for your course.  Did your employer expect, think, hope you would improve your language proficiency.

Deutsche Welle have free online learning for  improving fluency.

g@KarlMaxwell So, first, are you married to an EU citizen? This is the easiest way to get the gov't to pay for your lessons & testing. If not, you can go to this website and get some free materials. 

At any rate, yes, you can do this work online in the evenings. PM me for the name and contact info of a DaF teacher who is telc certified and can work with you over Skype.

BTW, the German gov't recognizes telc and Goethe exams as well as DSH. It depends on your visa requirements.

10 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Not sure why the Government  should pay for your course.  Did your employer expect, think, hope you would improve your language proficiency.

Deutsche Welle have free online learning for  improving fluency.

I don’t expect the government to pay for the course. The fee of the course is not the issue at all. The government pays my salary.

Do the goethe institute exam. It's the gold standard.

It doesn't matter where or how you learn, you can do an online course and just do the exam stand alone.

4 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

It doesn't matter where or how you learn, you can do an online course and just do the exam stand alone.

There is also the opportunity for the OP to take a weekend exam practice course in advance of the test itself. VHS and others offer this.. Very helpful to optimise what is already there.

It depends on what the OP would like to achieve in the future with this qualification. Goethe is indeed the international standard but if the qualification is only going to be used in DE then TELC is often recommended in my experience.

Evenig courses are tough. Especially in a big city like Berlin where a stressful  commute may need to be factored in after work and then back home again. I have done one evening in the week for 3 hours whilst working and found it challenging enough with travelling time and prepaaration. 

Wishing the OP all the best. If finances permit, a online tutor and home study as suggested above might be less stressful. If not, be realistic about what needs to be achieved and be kind to yourself.

Hi Karl, if I understood you perfectly, you need the German B1 Certificate to apply for a permanent residency in Germany, right. If that's the case I would recommend you take the TELC exam  at the Hartnackschule in Berlin, specically the DTZ-Deutschest für Zuwanderer/Intergrattionskurs.

You can get some preparatory materials from the telc website. 

I strongly recommend you use the +Babbel Application. It's not a free App. But I would say it's an excellent app. Give a it try. Approx. 56 € for a six months subscription.

All the Best!