Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German practice

4 posts in this topic

There used to be a fairly regular event where Toytowners could gather to practise their german. Does that still happen?  It's hard to practice German with native/fluent speakers. Does anyone know of any place for a A2 beginner to practice her german?

2 hours ago, kthxcia said:

It's hard to practice German with native/fluent speakers. 

I'm not here to answer the question, as I only practise my German with native speakers.

I'm just curious why you find it hard? I find it to be the best practise cause if I make a mistake, they can tell me what the correct way to say it is. People who are still learning German won't pick up on the small grammar issues.

38 minutes ago, SpongeOver said:

I'm just curious why you find it hard? I find it to be the best practise cause if I make a mistake, they can tell me what the correct way to say it is.

Not my topic but I can answer this question.

In my experience, native speakers go out of their way to practice their English with me, that's if we talk about people I know a bit closely than just random German on a street. Random Germans, tend  to do the opposite, pretend they don't understand you due to simplest mistakes. Language chauvinism is alive and well around the part of Germany I'm in. This leads to an interesting phenomena, I barely get to use German in Germany at all and this is a real problem for me.

33 minutes ago, JCrichton said:

Not my topic but I can answer this question.

In my experience, native speakers go out of their way to practice their English with me, that's if we talk about people I know a bit closely than just random German on a street. Random Germans, tend  to do the opposite, pretend they don't understand you due to simplest mistakes. Language chauvinism is alive and well around the part of Germany I'm in. This leads to an interesting phenomena, I barely get to use German in Germany at all and this is a real problem for me.

That's a pity. :mellow:

I just keep answering in German or pretend I don't understand English. I can be just as hard-headed as the Germans. ;)

I don't remember the last time I spoke anything other than German.