Dinosaur in need of a new Laptop.

112 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, French bean said:

The present one is 4GB RAM, 500 GB Memory I believe.

That memory seems to be sufficient for just surfing the web and for using a spreadsheet every now and then. If you want to keep costs low, why not consider formatting the drive on your existing laptop and reinstalling a clean copy of Win 10? It is easy for the Windows OS to slow down over the years if there has not been appropriate maintenance. So simply reinstalling the OS from scratch may just be what you need based on the simple use you make of your computer.

Yes, but be aware that you may wind up needing to repurchase some software. 

Save all of your purchase emails, licenses, etc. 

22 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Yes, because no money to be made with the 1% of the population that uses Linux.

Many businesses (big businesses, not just small to midrange) use unix in general for, among other things, their business intelligence software environment. 

The trend is also to move away from Sun OS/Solaris to linux (usually Red Hat). 

I havent read all the posts.. but 18 months ago, I bought the Lenovo that Frankan linked to...

I got it from Notebooksbilliger and it was 390€ incl delivery....

I love it!  the KB is nice to tripe with, plenty of memory, but I forgot how much!

15 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

Many businesses (big businesses, not just small to midrange) use unix in general for, among other things, their business intelligence software environment. 

I stand corrected. I was gonna plant the argument that Munich has gone to Linux then read (oh bugger) that they've said sod Limux (they called it) we're going to Win 10! Yup I admit Linux is hard for noobs to use. I do however love using it for coding. I will switch over to my Windows for Photoshop or Cubase. Media editing is still not so good on Linux. 

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

P.S., Your old system might work much faster if you replace your HDD for an SSD.  This is the single upgrade that might bring the life (speed) to old systems.

Did that with my old Lenovo laptop.  Made a world of difference.

My desktop PC has two SSDs - one for OS (WIN7) & the other for data.  There also also a HD drive for large stuff.

3 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

After Oracle killed Solaris by making support expensive (back in 2010) & then killing Solaris 12 in 2017.  Solaris 11.4 was probably a correct way forward but they should have done this from the beginning.  Anyhow, all the good support guys in Europe are gone (having reunion dinner with some in Hamburg tomorrow evening).

5 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Servers don't open email attachments nor suspicious links. 

BTW, I work for some of the world's largest companies (top 20!) and all their factories run Windows, at least at workstation level. Why? Because of huge support for drivers, legacy applications, etc.

Linux is great for email and database servers,i.e. services that are standardized. Bad for anything else due to lack of support, complete incoherence and the tendency to attract the worst software developers: the technical driven developers, AKA NERDS!

5 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

I do however love using it for coding. 

Interesting... What code have you written?

In my opinion, the minimum for today's standards: 

SSD: 256GB

RAM: 8GB 

Personal observations/preferences: 

CPU: Intel runs cooler at the same performance. If you don't like the heating while you keeping it in your lap or the cooler randomly starting because you decided to open a new page, go with intel. 

Brand: Whoever gives you the most warranty. I prefer DELL for the design and ASUS for the performance. 

For HDD I don't bother going for huge storage. It's always better to get a 2T external HDD for a fraction of the price. You can even get a wireless HDD and use it to share data between phones/tables and laptop while you are at home. 

I usually go to Saturn to see what I am interested in and then buy it online cheaper. 

You can use this one as reference. It has very good reviews and good stats all around for the advertised price: 

https://www.amazon.de/ASUS-VivoBook-90NB0J54-M04770-Notebook-UHD-Grafik/dp/B07KFLCM82/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=Asus+90NB0J54-M0477&qid=1558997632&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

14 hours ago, French bean said:

... My thing about chinese manufacturers is the fact that have been caught with Spyware on their Computers and mobiles plus the ongoing Huwaei thing...

Lenovo are the "good" Chinese (from Taiwan!).  Of course they did have the spyware problem.

Others are right in that they purchased the old IBM laptop business (and server) and that these laptops are good quality.  But they were making laptops before this, and still make some which are not part of this old IBM brand which are not as good.  But they still have a good reputation (have not had one myself).

14 hours ago, Krieg said:

You are missing the point.  The important bit is your new notebook SHOULD

have an SSD.

MUST

13 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

... There are no antivirus software tools. You don't need them.

Rubbish!

The reason why there are less (not none) viruses is that so few people run Linux at home that it is not worthwhile to target them.  Why target 1% when you can target 80%+ , the hit rate is already very low that you need to maximise your chances.

This is the same rubbish they people used to say about Macs a few years ago.  

I agree that the architecture means that it is more difficult for Linux & Mac O/S (which has a Unix background), but to say that you don't need to protect yourself at all is stupid.  

A few years ago there was a virus called "Badbunny" which was distributed as an Openoffice document can infected all types system!  A so called "cross platform virus".

13 hours ago, cfq said:

... why not consider formatting the drive on your existing laptop and reinstalling a clean copy of Win 10? It is easy for the Windows OS to slow down over the years if there has not been appropriate maintenance. So simply reinstalling the OS from scratch may just be what you need based on the simple use you make of your computer.

This won't help with the keyboard problems, screen problems etc.

14 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

I do however love using it for coding. 

It depends what you are developing, in general nowadays it does not matter much in which system you are developing, there is Eclipse, Visual Studio Code and Android Studio for every major operating system.  That's why the Macbook Pro is nowadays pretty much loved by hardcore developers.

Except if you are developing Windows Native programs and you are building and testing locally, for that it is still better to have a Windows machine.

That's ok then, don't have a problem with Taiwan or Korea because the tech industries are not under the control of the government - Chinese law saying companies must assist the government in data collection or something like that... AKA spying. Also the Chinese's proven record in industrial espionage and wilful prevention of foreign investment in China. Don't see why I should fund such a corrupt government.

5 minutes ago, French bean said:

That's ok then, don't have a problem with Taiwan or Korea because the tech industries are not under the control of the government - Chinese law saying companies must assist the government in data collection or something like that... AKA spying. Also the Chinese's proven record in industrial espionage and wilful prevention of foreign investment in China. Don't see why I should fund such a corrupt government.

Americans do the same. Do you have them in the same level of consideration?

35 minutes ago, French bean said:

Chinese law saying companies must assist the government in data collection or something like that

Have you heard of a guy named snowdon?  

I have a Lenovo Y50 purchased in 2014 used for CPU intensive tasks and nowadays used infrequently.    It is a good machine, but i have had to recover it twice.   As my main notebook is a MacBook Air,  the Lenovo seems really heavy and a bit unwieldy when  traveling. 

I would recommend a Mac based on cost of ownership over the lifetime of the notebook.   My MacBook Air was purchased in 2012.   The MacBook Pro I gave to a relative which is still working, was purchased in 2009.    Your mileage may vary, but generally, i have not squeezed 8-10 years out of a Windows notebook.    If you can spread the cost of software over 8-10 years, it helps.   

The price of the Lenovo linked by Franklan is a great value.   

21 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

There are other things which are not heard about.

I know of an instance where a company wanting to sell some SW in the USA was asked to submit the SW and the source code to a US security agency for examination, and they complied.

As this SW is also used around the world it critical areas then you can be sure that any backdoors which were found would be used by them!

Makes you wonder how much SW has been examined in this way!

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Americans do the same. Do you have them in the same level of consideration?

I know

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Yes but it doesn't mean I have to be complicit to data gathering, especially mine. 2 wrongs don't make a right and I would love for there to be something European based that I could consider but unfortunately Medion are 50 % Lenovo owned. So, back to a Laptop, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 15" min. screensize, Windows 10 and not Chinese. Oh and gives value for money rather than scheap to buy:

Toshiba

Asus

Dell

Acer

I've discounted HP because my present one is HP and I hate the effing thing for all the previously stated reasons.