Dinosaur in need of a new Laptop.

112 posts in this topic

I openly admit to being a Dinosaur and hate computers but unfortunately I need one. I need help deciding what spec I should have.

 

My uses are as simple as I am:

Intenet surfing,

The odd spread sheet

Photos

The odd Forum

So I know what software I need (Windows 10) and I use Libra but I am well pissed off with my present PC being so slow, forever failing to do what I ask when I ask and disconnecting itself, hence the wish to change. I hated it from the day I got it, just isn't a patch on my old Toshiba.The present one is 4GB RAM, 500 GB Memory I believe. So for those IT experts out there time to bring me up to date.

 

Not interested in make - so long as it's not Chinese, OK they all have Chinese components I know, so no need to be brand specific. Thanks for your advice.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is important to you?  Are you more interested in price, design, weight...?

 

You can walk into any cyberport or media markt, play with a few and chose the one you like.

 

Id avoid anything under about 500 euro as that is very much the budget end, and whilst on paper they will probably do you fine, I dont know anyone that has been happy with a true low end pc.

 

Lenovo is a decent brand (chinese, but its more or les still the old IBM brand with similar quality).  Otherwise Toshiba or well pretty much anyone you have heard of.

 

Schenker (mysn.de) is a decent place to buy a laptop online, but to be honest if you dont have a clear view what you want its a good idea to go to a real shop and see what there is and compare some.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah that's my problem, the choice is phenomenal, I really liked the quality of my old Toshiba and I definately don't want bargain basement but it's spec that is important. I want something that will suit what I do and has a bit of reserve capacity left. For example my C drive is 80% free and my D drive is only 10% free. I've not been downloading or streaming but it is full and hence the very poor performance on a laptop that is poor anyay. However, before you suggest I  clean my drive up I am already hostile to this PC and have been wanting a new one since last year.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is difficult to advise anybody on this, as the options are numerous and if  you ask 5 people you will get 15 different opinions.  So keep it simple:

 

First set your budget range.

  • Ideal & maximum

(I agree that < 500 euros is to be avoided if possible!)

 

 

Then determine any minimum requirements you have:

  • Disk space = xxx  (I would suggest either 256 or 512 GB SSD)
  • Memory = 8 GB (my suggested minimum)
  • O/S = Windows 10 (based on your input)
  • Screen size = xxx (a very big factor on budget for a laptop!)

Then define your nice to have better criteria in preference order, such as:

  • Looks & build quality
  • an NVME Hard disk
  • As fast a processor as possible
  • Disk space (as long as bigger than your minimum).
  • Screen size (as long as bigger than your minimum)
  • Brand
  • Warranty
  • etc.

Then start looking and select laptops which match the criteria.

 

I would also add, that some laptops, especially at the cheaper end of the scale, only come with 4GB RAM.  But don't let that put you off as they can easily be upgraded to 8 GB for an extra 30 - 40 Euros, and that this might be a good option if you find the right PC.

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought of dumping Winders and going to Ubuntu? Those old lappies sing on Linux.

 

George Formby hated windows. he wanted to clean them...

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did think of going to Linux because I am not a Windows fan but unfortunately as 80% of the World operates Windows I believe I should stick to it. The old arguments about using Apple have gone out the window. For me inhibitively expensive, getting hacked just as much as any other and not really my thing. Most of my family use Apple but they see themselves as creative - brand snobbery really.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dj_jay_smith Thanks for the input. I've sort of decided on 8GB memory and Windows 10, the other items I can put into a search and see what it comes up with. I've looked at SSD compared to HDD and being a simple creature I don't see the point of having a smaller capacity SSD compared to a HDD if all it does is make data retrieval faster. If I'm missing something here please tell me. Reliability of an HDD isn't really a problem, weight of the extra mechanics for an HDD is not a problem either.

 

Quality I've set Toshiba as the benchmark. Not top of the range but not cheap and cheerful either.

Processor speed- so long as waiting for a bus doesn't take longer.

Warranty - everything in Germany must have minimum 2 years only

Screen size minimum 15", 17 " would be nice but actually it's the quality of the screen that's more important. I have a Samsung Tablet and the quality of that compared to my Laptop doesn't compare. When I expand a picture is like comparing a modern TV to a something from the 60's

Brand - not openly Chinese.

 

So there I have it. I'd love to go to a shop and try but living in a small town I'm really limited. I suppose I could look in Mediamarkt.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had Lenovo for years with zero problems...I wear them out.  The deals in the US are far better than DE, so if you know someone who travels.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, French bean said:

...I don't see the point of having a smaller capacity SSD compared to a HDD if all it does is make data retrieval faster. If I'm missing something here please tell me. ...

 

Yes you are missing something!

 

I would say that if you are not going to purchase a laptop with an SSD then just save your money and don't purchase one at all!!

 

 SSD (and memory) prices have plummeted over the last year and are less than half of what they were some 12ish months ago.  Meaning that they have never been as cheap.  A quick look on amazon shows a Samsung 256 GB SSD can cost 60 euros, with a 500 GB one costing 80 euros.

 

The difference in speed is incredible.  It makes everything you do much, much quicker.  Compare driving from Munich to Berlin with a Porsche (or other fast car) vs a Truck!

If you have an NVME SSD then the laptop should take < 10 - 15 seconds to boot.  If you have a HDD spinning drive then this will probably take 45+ seconds, if not more likely 1 - 2 minutes!

 

IMHO It is even worth it to fork out the extra money on an NVME SSD (which is faster).  An NVME SSD costs more, but is in my opinion worth it. 

 

 

But don't save money on an SSD disk drive, it is a false economy.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, French bean said:

I've looked at SSD compared to HDD and being a simple creature I don't see the point of having a smaller capacity SSD compared to a HDD if all it does is make data retrieval faster. If I'm missing something here please tell me. Reliability of an HDD isn't really a problem, weight of the extra mechanics for an HDD is not a problem either.

 

You are going to change your laptop because your old one is too slow.  Yet you want to avoid having an SSD in your new system which is most probably the single hardware part that affect the most the performance of the system.

 

P.S., Your old system might work much faster if you replace your HDD for an SSD.  This is the single upgrade that might bring the life (speed) to old systems.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

frankIan,  that looks interesting. My thing about chinese manufacturers is the fact that have been caught with Spyware on their Computers and mobiles plus the ongoing Huwaei thing. I just don't trust them and me being typical Anglo Saxon I really don't like the thought of a foreign dictatorship collecting info on me or my country.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Krieg said:

 

You are going to change your laptop because your old one is too slow.  Yet you want to avoid having an SSD in your new system which is most probably the single hardware part that affect the most the performance of the system.

 

P.S., Your old system might work much faster if you replace your HDD for an SSD.  This is the single upgrade that might bring the life (speed) to old systems.

Not just that, the body is cracking near the hinge. The screen surround is starting to come away from the back, the battery is worn out. The key board needs a lot of pressure on a key sometimes to register on the screen, the screen is shite, very poor quality when trying to read small print. etc etc etc. It's less than 3 years old.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, French bean said:

Not just that, the body is cracking near the hinge. The screen surround is starting to come away from the back, the battery is worn out. The key board needs a lot of pressure on a key sometimes to register on the screen, the screen is shite, very poor quality when trying to read small print. etc etc etc. It's less than 3 years old.


You are missing the point.  The important bit is your new notebook SHOULD have an SSD.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, French bean said:

frankIan,  that looks interesting. My thing about chinese manufacturers is the fact that have been caught with Spyware on their Computers and mobiles plus the ongoing Huwaei thing. I just don't trust them and me being typical Anglo Saxon I really don't like the thought of a foreign dictatorship collecting info on me or my country.

There are so many companies that have a high inclination to prove that Aldi's stuff is shite, it would be in the Bild-Zeitung if there would be  spyware on them. These critters  are  basically taken apart to be analysed.

 

It also comes  with Intel Optane, so you have a painless hybrid, basically a combined SSD and a "normal" harddisk. That's what dinosaurs want.

 

>the screen is shite, very poor quality when trying to read small print

BTW, hint to all dinosaurs who have problems reading  small printed stuff on the display: Press the Windows-key and the +-key at the same time.  This is the magnifying glass on Windows (The Windows-key is the one with the four squares   located between the CTRL  and ALT-key).

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are so scared of spyware you can reinstall Windows 10.   

 

Lenovo makes decent notebooks for business and end consumers, they are not an obscure brand,

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, French bean said:

I did think of going to Linux because I am not a Windows fan but unfortunately as 80% of the World operates Windows I believe I should stick to it. The old arguments about using Apple have gone out the window. For me inhibitively expensive, getting hacked just as much as any other and not really my thing. 

 

If you use Libre office, I may be wrong but that was originally Linux. I have it on Linux. Everything I do is Ubuntu which def used to have a reputation as command line stuff, but with the Gnome Desktop it works beautifully. And security - to my knowledge the hacks are very few on Linux - mostly Winderz. There are no antivirus software tools. You don't need them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Krieg said:

If you are so scared of spyware you can reinstall Windows 10.   

 

Lenovo makes decent notebooks for business and end consumers, they are not an obscure brand,

Lenovo laptops was a purchase of IBM´s laptop division. IMO they are better than Toshiba or Hp or DELL.

 

I agree with the others, buy SSD.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, franklan said:

BTW, hint to all dinosaurs who have problems reading  small printed stuff on the display: Press the Windows-key and the +-key at the same time.  This is the magnifying glass on Windows (The Windows-key is the one with the four squares   located between the CTRL  and ALT-key).

 

 

Sorry I wasn't clear, when I do that on my Tablet I can read the print, when I do it on this lap top the quality is so poor I just get a fuzzy mess. As for Aldi stuff being shite, I recently said on another thread I've bought a lot of their stuff and it's been reliable. I just don't trust the Chinese. However at the moment I don't trust Trump either.

@ Krieg I regularly go through my Setup to make sure Windows hasn't set Cortana running again.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

 

If you use Libre office, I may be wrong but that was originally Linux. I have it on Linux. Everything I do is Ubuntu which def used to have a reputation as command line stuff, but with the Gnome Desktop it works beautifully. And security - to my knowledge the hacks are very few on Linux - mostly Winderz.

I always say to my relatives: "Buy Linux or Apple, so that I have a great excuse NOT to support it".

 

 

7 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

There are no antivirus software tools. You don't need them.

Yes, because no money to be made with the 1% of the population that uses Linux.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now