Prefabricated, Modular or Container home in Bavaria?

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am looking at the possibility of a shipping container home here in Germany (if it is even possible). I have seen this work very well in other countries that I have lived in but not sure how it might work here.

Before I start seriously looking into it, I wanted to see if anyone has one and if so, if they can tell me anything about it and maybe where to start.

Are you talking about some sort of tinyhouse? There is a company (https://techtinyhouse.de/) offering workshops about technical as well as legal aspects of those. Maybe worth the € 180 the´re charging for it (no idea though as I never had dealings with them).

5 hours ago, jeba said:

Are you talking about some sort of tinyhouse? There is a company (https://techtinyhouse.de/) offering workshops about technical as well as legal aspects of those. Maybe worth the € 180 the´re charging for it (no idea though as I never had dealings with them).

Similar concept but instead, it is strictly using shipping containers and specifically, prefabricated ones.

It's not popular here so I guess few Germans like like living in a steel container ;) 

Well that's possibly the ugliest container "home" I have seen...but alright for a night..if you are brave ;) or drunk.

I did cheekily change the title earlier today... broadening my scope when I saw all the amazing prefab and modular homes under 100K.

Still, containers will be cheaper, I think.

Are you thinking about one container or multiple? The biggest problem I see would be zoning - where you could put it. These things are slowly catching on in Germany, though, so they are being built somewhere.

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Are you thinking about one container or multiple? The biggest problem I see would be zoning - where you could put it. These things are slowly catching on in Germany, though, so they are being built somewhere.

I will buy a small piece of land somewhere in Bavaria where they will allow container homes and where locals will not lynch me because it might "ruin" the neighbourhood. It would have to be either so remote that nobody sees it or in a forward-thinking town / area. 

As for how many, I would ideally go for two and I already have the floor plan in my mind. Both intersecting, something like this. I only found one company so far that builds them and they only do business to business and only in amounts of 20+ units, so not helpful. 

There must be an end customer somewhere who sells them.

Keep looking and good luck. I'm a tiny house freak myself. Look at them a lot.

16 hours ago, Mr Paxton said:

I will buy a small piece of land somewhere in Bavaria where they will allow container homes and where locals will not lynch me because it might "ruin" the neighbourhood.

You would definitely be ruining the neighbourhood. What would be the difference between your box and some temporary workers living in containers?

16 hours ago, Mr Paxton said:

It would have to be either so remote that nobody sees it or in a forward-thinking town / area.

Forward thinking? Living in metal boxes? Is that what the future holds for us?

Oh don't be such a negative Nancy. People have been re-purposing containers and such for homes for many years now. They even exist in Germany so they must be somewhere. Same with tiny homes. Not for everybody but many thousands are getting in on the experience and trying to be self-sustainable. I bet a lot of them even have EV's. :D

Of course you can't drop one in a normal neighborhood although many of the photos do show them sitting by traditional homes.

ETA - Millions in the U.S. live in trailer homes.