Adolf-Weber, Wilhelm-Haubenstein, or Albert Einstein Gymnasium, Any one have experience?

3 posts in this topic

We are considering a possible move to Munich.  We have a 9 year old and a 13 year old.  The job offer will not include funding for international school.  I see that Adolf-Weber Wilhelm-Hausenstein, and Albert Einstein might be options for the 13 year old.  The first two have classes for learning German and Albert Einstein has English mother tongue.  Does anyone have experience with any of these schools?  I'm wondering if the programs at the first two schools are enough to get kids ready for a regular Gymnasium. 

From reading through all the posts about gymnasium, I'm really afraid to put my kids in the German system.  We have been back in the States for 5 years after having moved from Stuttgart where we also lived 5 years.  Both kids did German kindergarten and then the oldest was at the International School in Stuttgart until 2nd grade.  They remember only a little German.  The oldest's German kindergarten was terrible, but the youngest went to a different German kindergarten and that one was fantastic.  

Both my kids smart and the oldest in particular has excellent scores in math and science so he should go to gymnasium. We would be giving up an IB program here for him and so we are very mindful of possibly jumping from a great place here to a disaster there.  We miss Europe, but don't want our kids to suffer just because we like to live abroad!

I expect you'll get lots of responses.
Mine is that a thirteen-year-old might be better off going to a Realschule.  Realschule are good for technical jobs, like engineers.  We had a friend whose Realschule Abschluss led to a job at the University in Munich as a lecturer in Spanish, and two women friends who became teachers, one a high-ranking Beamtin.  Jobs that in the US require a college degree are often prepared for differently in Germany.
While your son may have to enter school in Germany in the class he just finished in the US, that would be handled easily in Realschule: but since Gymnasium begins with the fifth class (11-year-olds) and foreign language learning begins then he'd still start from behind if he tried Gymnasium.

I'll admit that my experience with the school system is forty years old.  My 11-year-old daughter was in fifth grade in the US for a year, then another year in the local German school, and finally began the fifth class in Gymnasium at the age of 13.  She made her Abitur at the age of 21.  My older two children floundered, even after being put in classes one grade down from their US schooling.  Ultimately the older did well with languages and math, but never reached his potential in Gymnasium, and went back to the US at age 18.  The younger switched to a commercial subjects Realschule and in the US has ended up as office manager.  
But, as I said, you'll get lots of responses.  Take them seriously, even the ones that question your plans.

Hi there,

this kind of question is better to ask in "Parents in Munich" Facebook group. You will get tons of replies and advise.

Good luck!