Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can you register car in Switzerland and live and drive in Germany?

12 posts in this topic

Dear friends, 

Wanted to know if you live in Germany and bought a car in Switzerland, can you register there and drive in Germany  ? because wanted to know because some of my friends want to make that or if you buy car in Germany and register in Switzerland ? Can you do that?

Thank you 

Of course you can, just beware that the Finanzamt will eventually be on to you for tax avoidance.

3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

And there might be insurance implications.

20 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Finanzamt will eventually be on to you for tax avoidance.

Agreed. 

In a reverse situation, a guy I know had a car registered in Germany but he lived and worked in Switzerland.  He did that for years (fortunately with no insurance claims ever arising), until one day the Swiss Zoll had a check point to review vehicles as they left a ski resort's parking lot.  Then the Swiss officials could look at his Swiss residency docs to know how long he'd been in Switzerland and the German Farzeugpapier to know how long he'd owned the car, so they could calculate how long he'd been avoiding paying Swiss taxes on the car. He had to get the car inspected and registered in Switzerland, and pay back taxes and a fine.  I expect Germany would behave similarly.

5 hours ago, DoubleDTown said:

Agreed. 

In a reverse situation, a guy I know had a car registered in Germany but he lived and worked in Switzerland.  He did that for years (fortunately with no insurance claims ever arising), until one day the Swiss Zoll had a check point to review vehicles as they left a ski resort's parking lot.  Then the Swiss officials could look at his Swiss residency docs to know how long he'd been in Switzerland and the German Farzeugpapier to know how long he'd owned the car, so they could calculate how long he'd been avoiding paying Swiss taxes on the car. He had to get the car inspected and registered in Switzerland, and pay back taxes and a fine.  I expect Germany would behave similarly.

Yes but i want to register in Switzerland and drive in Germany and around just want to have swiss plates. 

1 minute ago, adonissze said:

Yes but i want to register in Switzerland and drive in Germany and around just want to have swiss plates. 

And other people want to register in Cambodia and drive in Germany, because the insurance costs and taxes are much lower there.

The shit will hit the fan eventually.

17 hours ago, adonissze said:

I expect Germany would behave similarly to the story I related about Switzerland.  If you live in Germany, it is very likely German regulatory authorities will not put up with you having your car registered in another country. If you buy your car in another country, when you register the vehicle in Germany, you may have to pay an import tax.

17 hours ago, adonissze said:

That post either shows your English is not that good or it shows you´re mental...

Just to comfirm: you want Swiss registration because of the plates??

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

That post either shows your English is not that good or it shows you´re mental...

Just to comfirm: you want Swiss registration because of the plates??

My mental right ? just for the plates this is my mental thought what i want to do you mr from Munich. 

As I posted earlier and others have confirmed if you live in Germany your car must be registered in Germany. You have a little time, more like a few weeks rather than months or years.

This is because of the car tax which is collected by the Finanzamt. If your car is registered in another country and you live here it's considered tax avoidance and the penalties aren't minor.

Your choice, don't say you weren't warned.

Some of what others have said before and some more thoughts:

1. You will run into issues with the German customs/tax authorities. That risk increases the more often you cross a border with some/occasional border controls. Bear in mind that this not only applies to the German-Swiss border, but also to returning from, say, Austria.

2. You do understand that you will have to get a Swiss insurance ? Do you also understand that a Swiss insurer will not provide you with a car insurance if you live in Germany ? A German insurer will not insure a car with Swiss plates.

3. Even if you deceive them by using a friend's Swiss address: They do verify it against the Swiss registry of drivers licenses.

4. You run the risk of losing your insurance coverage in case of an accident or theft.

In light of the above you might face fewer issues if you simply register the car in Germany and then use (stolen) Swiss plates. Which is still a crime and can create all kind of other problems, but at least the car is (probably) properly insured...   Just kidding, of course.

What are you trying to achieve with Swiss plates ? Benefit from the foreigner's bonus when driving the streets of Munich ? Just get any German plates starting with three letters and you will get more leeway than you ever wanted.