Customs to receive food from a non-EU country

4 posts in this topic

A friend of mine will send me dried figs and Turkish delight in the original manufacturer packaging from Turkey. 

As I checked Zoll.de gifts worth not more than 45 euros which are sent by one private individual to another shall be admitted free of import duties.

However, I don't see any weight limit to import food.

How much weight do you think it would be okay? 2.5 or 3 kg?

To determine the value of the goods, should I put the original receipt into the box or how should be shown?

Thanks in advance,

You don't need to worry about import duties, just if the food are allowed or not!

The EU has restrictions on what type of food can be imported from outside the EEA.  You can find more details here:

https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/animalproducts/personal_imports_en

This also provides a good overview (even if it is from France!!)

https://www.douane.gouv.fr/Portals/0/fichiers/information/publication-douane/langues-etrangeres/banned-and-authorised-foodstuffs-entering-eu.pdf

Generally when importing (not just food) it pays to be open and honest about the contents.  So clearly label what is inside, as if customs are suspicious and suspect that it is not as stated then they will anyway open the package!  For the value of the goods, it should be stated on the package together with the shipping costs (both are used to calculate any import duties).  You don't need to prove anything, they will anyway use there own methods of calculation based on market value/rates.  E.g.  You might have paid 10 euros for a new car, but if the car has a value of 10,000 Euros then you will be taxed on this value and not how much you actually paid!

10 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

You don't need to worry about import duties, just if the food are allowed or not!

The EU has restrictions on what type of food can be imported from outside the EEA.  You can find more details here:

https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/animalproducts/personal_imports_en

This also provides a good overview (even if it is from France!!)

https://www.douane.gouv.fr/Portals/0/fichiers/information/publication-douane/langues-etrangeres/banned-and-authorised-foodstuffs-entering-eu.pdf

Generally when importing (not just food) it pays to be open and honest about the contents.  So clearly label what is inside, as if customs are suspicious and suspect that it is not as stated then they will anyway open the package!  For the value of the goods, it should be stated on the package together with the shipping costs (both are used to calculate any import duties).  You don't need to prove anything, they will anyway use there own methods of calculation based on market value/rates.  E.g.  You might have paid 10 euros for a new car, but if the car has a value of 10,000 Euros then you will be taxed on this value and not how much you actually paid!

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure if the logistics company labels the name of the contents and value of the package. If not, I will add a label on to box to declare the value and contents.

Should I write the contents in English or German, also the local currency and Euro together?

You said a friend was sending them, so then I don't understand why you or the logistics company would be involved in the sending!

It does not matter if you use German and Euro would of course be easier for them but they are able to translate and convert the amounts if needed