Google suspends Huawei's Android license

49 posts in this topic

Because of Trump's policies against China, Google has banned Huawei from using Google's Android.   This is pretty bad for the world, independent of if Huawei is really spying or not.    A single country can't decide who can and who can't provide smartphones to the whole world.   If they had banned Huawei in the USA it would be a different thing.   This just proved that the current Android state is pretty bad and the whole world depend on the actions of a single person.  This was not the spirit of Android and definitely not the spirit of Open Source which is where Android comes from.

I don't like Huawei in particular, but I really hope they can come back stronger from this.   If they want to continue using Android they will have to go back to the Open Source version of Android and start from there.    But Android without Google Services would be a big limitation at the moment, at least outside of China.   Maybe it is time things change, we can't continue depending on a single company.

Maybe things need to escalate, China banning American smartphones on their territory could be a good start. 

Technically Huawei are not outrightly banned or restricted from anything.  It is just that US companies want to sell certain products/services to them must now request approval before this is possible.  Which means of course that US government can restrict certain things, but does not mean that they will, it just becomes a more difficult and time consuming (and expensive) process.

Huawei already stated earlier this year that they have their own operating system as "Plan-B".  So they could also break away from the Google Apps and app store (which would also hurt Google as they would not get revenue from purchased apps/games/books/movies etc.).

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article190034791/Huawei-Manager-zu-Spionagevorwurf-Das-hat-politische-Gruende.html

Of course this has impacts on lots of companies.  I read that Neophotonics (a US provider of  optoelectronic  components) is reliant on Huawei for 44% of its business!  

This can backfire big time for Google. EU could rule that the app store and android is a monopoly, therefore (worst case) forcing Google to be broken apart.

5 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Of course this has impacts on lots of companies.  I read that Neophotonics (a US provider of  optoelectronic  components) is reliant on Huawei for 44% of its business! 

This will also create opportunities for EU companies to enter the chinese market.

If the Americans elected that criminal and can´t make enough pressure for congress and senate to impeach him, they get what they deserved.

I tend to think, trump has hit them where it really hurts this time

I cannot see how china, is going to come up an operating system and 1000's of apps, within the next couple of months to compete with android and play store. I cannot really see who is going to buy a china phone in Europe knowing, that there is no access to the apps store, or a small china store -

Who is going to write an app for my bank, so that I can do my secure online banking and trust them ?

Should I use it to book my flights on ???

Or secure email ???

8 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I cannot see how china, is going to come up an operating system and 1000's of apps, within the next couple of months to compete with android and play store.

They do not have to write a new operating system from scratch.   There is Android Open Source.   And Google Services can be installed as a package.   The real problem is that most probably they are not allowed to pre-install the Google Services in their devices.  So normal users would be intimidated having to installed them themselves, or maybe not.

They could go ballistic and start their own store.   At least for non-China territories.   Google Services (and the Google Store) is irrelevant in China.

37 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

This will also create opportunities for EU companies to enter the chinese market.

I believe that it is more likely that they would look internally, so that they are not so reliant on external influences.  The US places restrictions today and are pressuring EU countries to follow suit, so China would be worried about that.

9 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I cannot see how china, is going to come up an operating system and 1000's of apps, within the next couple of months to compete with android and play store. I cannot really see who is going to buy a china phone in Europe knowing, that there is no access to the apps store, or a small china store -

O/S

Well Android is open source, so they don't need to invent anything, they can just use it as is.

Or more likely, take this modify/customise it for there own use.  This is anyway what all the major handset makers used to do a few years ago, now Google prefers them to leave basic Android alone and provides methods to allow them to replace parts of the system to their own needs to produce a customised version which is still based on the standards.

There are also plenty of other O/Ses out there, including many which customise Android for some reason.  Such as for enhanced security such as  Copperhead.

But anyway, according to the link I provided above they already have their own O/S!

Apps:

There is no need.  If they use Android as the base then they can support all Android apps out of the box.  

If they have a new O/S, then they can still support Android apps if they wanted (there are emulator programs which allow  you to run Android Apps on Windows, and I have read in the past that other O/Ses support them as well, such as Chrome OS).

The App developers stay the same.  No need to change anything.

They would just have to replace the Google out of the box apps.  Anyway, the EU complains about Google forcing these apps on handset makers so they have (will have) a version of Android which does not have them included.

yes, I I agree there are always around it.

But the non-techie people I know, do not want to go into the bones of  an operating system, or find work arounds, they are happy just to search, install ->use, if it gets even a little bit harder, they just say ok, I get a Korean phone ( Samsung ), or tons of alternatives.

Only if the price becomes very attractive will some people want to look into it.

Huawei, can only hope china comes to a deal with US or maybe china bans apple, otherwise if it were a listed company I would not be buying shares in them

Here is some information concerning the state of Android:

Android is a linux based operation system bespoke to mobile phones or tablets. Access to its code is free. There are volunteers working on it, and a lot of people working on it who are paid employees of google.

There was a company that wanted to bring out a Google-free version of Android (e.g. no bloatware). This company was called CyanogenMod but defaulted due to problems with the funding.

Some other volunteers then decided to continue this effort under the project name LineageOS.

see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

This is a great stuff, really. It's just that its progress is a little bit hindered by the fact that only unpaid volunteers work on it. Throwing money after them (by the chinese) or having paid chinese programmers joining the team would certainly solve that problem.

The only big problem is: Some Apps on the Androids as delivered today are sole property of Google, and as such not freely available: These are mainly the App that gives access to Google's APP-store and the App to access GMAIL. While it is possible to install these apps on an LineageOS based Android phone, you're not really on the legal side doing so.

Now, what if the Chinese...

a.) Join the LineageOS Team?

b.) Have their own App-stores (one accessible only from china, the other one accessible from everywhere but china) and convince the App-producers to also sell their APPS via the new APP stores?

c.) let a trustworthy (maybe European) company do the "other one accessible from everywhere but china"-App-store? With lower prices for the end customer but the same income for the APP-writers? You know, cheaper than google? 

d.) Declare their APP to access their APP-store to be license fee free to other (even non chinese) mobile phone producers? You know, cheaper than Google?

There is this or potentially other scenarios that - now that Huawei is looking down the barrel of Trump's gun - might back fire into Google's face!

They don't even have to write their own app store from scratch either.  Aptoide is Open Source.   The only issue is that Aptoide does not have the best reputation because it is used for pirating as well.

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I believe that it is more likely that they would look internally, so that they are not so reliant on external influences.  The US places restrictions today and are pressuring EU countries to follow suit, so China would be worried about that.

There are several key areas, especially on smartphone manufacturing, where Chinese have very limited knowledge.

EU will not be fool to follow US, as we are in the best position to profit from this stupid trade war.

35 minutes ago, yesterday said:

so is the average jo, going to be required to flash his or her device ? with the OS ?

No, a company as large as Huawei can bring this to their products in a way to make a lot of users not even to notice the issue.

Worst for Google is that eventually Huawei could become so sucessful in this that it would rob them with play store revenue.

13 hours ago, yesterday said:

so is the average jo, going to be required to flash his or her device ? with the OS ?

Devices already sold are not affected and will still have access to everything they do today, with the exception that they won't be able to upgrade their Android version.

15 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Worst for Google is that eventually Huawei could become so sucessful in this that it would rob them with play store revenue.

Because of the current Android situation and its dependency to the USA politics, this is the best it can happen.  Too bad Huawei is not a company you can really trust.  But I think Google's monopoly has to be broken.

Maybe the EU can do something about it as well.

18 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Too bad Huawei is not a company you can really trust. 

Look, this whole thing started because US intelligence agencies cannot spy over Huawei´s 5G network.

So we know one thing for sure: without Huawei, you cannot really trust US. With Huawei, maybe, maybe you cannot trust them, but at least you are certain that US intelligence agencies don´t have a free pass at spying us.

If things escalate, China rules the rare earth market.  Yes, other countries can re-organize the supply chain and source the materials from somewhere else, but it is not an easy task and can't probably be optimized to the level China has it now.   So we would have a 1 or 2 years bump and the era of mega-cheap electronics might come to an end. 

Also, China has years and years of experience in manufacturing and they are ahead of every country.

Like always people pay.

And, just like everything else in Trumpworld, this looks to have been either a distraction from the CRUSHING loss suffered by Trump in court yesterday or as such a resounding and horrible fail that, naturally, Trump reverses himself. What a douchebag.

Days after blacklisting Chinese technology company Huawei from buying American-made products, the Trump administration is now easing up.

On Monday, the U.S. Commerce Department restored the Shenzhen-based tech giant's ability to maintain its network, which means the company can buy equipment and complete software updates to support those who use Huawei smartphones, according to a 90-day temporary general license issued by federal officials.

"The Temporary General License grants operators time to make other arrangements and the Department space to determine the appropriate long term measures for Americans and foreign telecommunications providers that currently rely on Huawei equipment for critical services," said U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. "In short, this license will allow operations to continue for existing Huawei mobile phone users and rural broadband networks."

After the Trump administration last week barred American companies from doing business with Huawei, the world's second-largest supplier of smartphones, shares of Google and other technology companies dropped on Wall Street.

Huawei officials warned that being placed on the blacklist created a major problem: Google would no longer allow Huawei's smartphones to use popular smartphone applications, like Gmail and Google Maps.

A Google spokesman told NPR that the Trump administration loosening its restrictions will allow those with Huawei phones to use Google apps.

Analysts said if Huawei remained on the blacklist, Google's stock would have continued to take a beating.

The Chinese have been stealing trade secrets from the West for decades. The winner of this conflict will be the one who takes most care of security, as the wholesale spying and data theft on everyone, from the US Deep State to the Chinese, has made IT a joke.