Bike locked up

23 posts in this topic

Hi I've been living here in Germany for 7 months now and been a long time lurker here in the forums. On 01.05. my roommate and I went to Offenburg to meet some friends. Since we don't have a car yet, we went to the train station by bike and parked them at the Fahrradparkplatz. Later that night, as we arrived at the station and ready to get the bikes, I realized I left the keys at my friend's flat! I didn't get the keys back until more than 2 weeks later. Yesterday, when I was ready to get the bikes back, I noticed that the rear wheels were locked. Since it was already late there were no more Bahnhof employees around to ask. Now I'm not sure what to do. Do i need to pay some fine for leaving the bikes there for a long time?

received_471391750271379.jpeg

Thats a classic scam...

If the bike is there in 2 or 3 days, then someone will come allong with bolt croppers, chop off your lock and then use their key to open the "Bike lock"...

The crooks buy these locks for 10€ or so, then claim they are the owner of the bike cause they have the keys!!   ( They fix this to your bike to make it look officially part of the bike...   

Sneaky bastards

Oh no! I've seen other bikes there too with the same lock. Has anyone experienced this too? Can the bahnhof employees do anything to help me?

Ah, this are the most primitive bike locks there are - you can open them with almost any small flat key! Give it a try.

25 minutes ago, Metall said:

Ah, this are the most primitive bike locks there are - you can open them with almost any small flat key! Give it a try.

And if they get caught... how can they prove its their bike?

Bad bad advice...

8 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Erm...a receipt for purchase perhaps?

I am sure whoever put the lock on the bike also took note/pictures of the serial/frame numbers and aslo has a receipt freshly printed out...

8 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I am sure whoever put the lock on the bike also took note/pictures of the serial/frame numbers and aslo has a receipt freshly printed out...

Somehow, I just can't picture this scenario. How would it pan out? 

I still say go to the police first and ask them.

14 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Bad bad advice...

So what's the good advice?

14 minutes ago, LeonG said:

So what's the good advice?

I would ask a friend!...  

Your friend... as you almost always have a friend or a work coleague who the same has happened to...

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Erm...a receipt for purchase perhaps?

The thing is, we don't have purchase receipts as we bought them second hand. Does having the keys to the lock prove anything? (The bike lock we used to bind the bikes to the metal bar) Oh, we also have photos with the bikes from last month so...

Take your keys and photos to the police and ask them. Surely the actual to-be-bike-thief wouldn't do that if Spidey's speculation is correct.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Take your keys and photos to the police and ask them. Surely the actual to-be-bike-thief wouldn't do that if Spidey's speculation is correct.

Thank you so much! Will do. One question though, is it certain that the train station management doesn't do this, like at all? I was just wondering if it was locked due to being abandoned for more than 2 weeks.

4 minutes ago, dioneesha said:

One question though, is it certain that the train station management doesn't do this, like at all? I was just wondering if it was locked due to being abandoned for more than 2 weeks.

Management of train and subway stations clears away the bicycles every few years - but they put up numerous signs and attach stickers to bikes warning the owners of this several weeks beforehand.

Rest assured, this is a thief. :)

3 hours ago, dioneesha said:

One question though, is it certain that the train station management doesn't do this, like at all?

Wouldn't cost anything to ask them. I can imagine that different cities have different policies.

5 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I would ask a friend!...  

Your friend... as you almost always have a friend or a work coleague who the same has happened to...

Actually, I had a mate at uni whose bike got stolen.  A couple of weeks later, he saw it locked outside a public pool and stole it back.  The thief did not show up later with a freshly printed out receipt or anything like that.  Sure the victim can go to the police but it will have to be fast or the thief will be gone with their bike.

26 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I knew you had a mate who had a bike nicked...

Actually several but this was the only one who found his bike again and stole it back.