Trump proposes new green card requirements

9 posts in this topic

Trump said he wanted to do away with granting green cards based on having family members who are green card holders themselves. As my daughter as well as my sister are living in the US I might want to move there in the future. Should I be worried as a German pensioner that I might not be able to get a US residence permit ?

Trump has set the bar so high for new immigrants that most Americans would have to leave if held to the same standards.

Parents and siblings of Green Card holders don't have a right to a Green Card. This is not a new thing.

11 minutes ago, sneaker said:

Parents and siblings of Green Card holders don't have a right to a Green Card. This is not a new thing.

Tell that to the Third Lady's parents.

50 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Trump has set the bar so high for new immigrants that most Americans would have to leave if held to the same standards.

Does it include some kind of literacy test. If so, I expect that Donny would most likely fail that.

Tell that to the Third Lady's parents.

I don't know what you are talking about. If you mean "fraufruit": according to her forum profile she's an American citizen not a Green Card holder.

Well, here's the thing - not to defend The Don, but US immigration law always required an interview for the Green Card. This requirement just was waived in many cases.

Here's a link on the current executive order (and CNN is no friend of Trump, either):

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/28/politics/trump-administration-green-cards-interviews/index.html

"While requiring all green card applicants to be interviewed is already provided for in the law, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the past has waived the interview for broad categories of applicants"

[...]

"According to current published USCIS guidelines, many individuals applying for employment-based green cards have their interview waived, especially if they have extraordinary abilities and if the employer petitioning on their behalf is the same one that sponsored their initial work visa.

Monday's order doesn't affect other broad categories of people generally exempt from interviews, including fiancés and parents of US citizens. But USCIS said in an updated release Monday afternoon that the agency plans to incrementally expand interviews in other categories."

Every Green Card application in my family based on relationship or marriage led to a mandatory interview at the US embassy with the classic trick questions etc.

Let's see how this goes.

14 minutes ago, sneaker said:

I don't know what you are talking about. If you mean "fraufruit": according to her forum profile she's an American citizen not a Green Card holder.

Jeffo doesn't mean fraufruit (a US citizen indeed) he means this (warning, slightly NSFW and crude):

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Third%20Lady

There's current speculation on how *she* got her Green Card...