Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Waldorf Frommer - fine for downloading taken to court? Please help

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I've had a good look through the forums here and have seen a lot of posts about Waldorf Frommer but I couldn't really see any that are exactly the same. My friend received this letter recently (attached). She has previously received other letters from WF but has ignored them and since she's been out of the country for a year she didn't see a letter about going to court. From my understanding it seems like they've taken the case to court and it's been decided on, but I'm not sure if that's true. The part which is worrying is the "die gerechtliche Auseinandersetzung wurde abgeschlossen".

Can anyone advise on if and how we should respond? If she ignores this letter will it become a criminal case or will they forcefully take the money from her account? It's got us both really worried. Is this just further scare tactics?

If I'm posting this in the wrong area please let me know, I'm new to the forum. 

Thanks,

John.

Waldorf Frommer.jpeg

Standard advice has always been to get a lawyer who will advise you.  Most likely they will prepare a modified document to send and assuming things go well "your friend" will probably end up paying their lawyer and a lower amount to WF and promising not to do it again (though not admitting that they did it this time).

Obviously there is an element of luck, depends on your lawyer, etc but generally this is a standard case that everyone has seem a million times before.

Dont try to do it yourself, let a pro handle it.

Since she didn't respond at all, it looks like they've obtained a judgment in absentia. You guessed that part correctly. They're demanding immediate payment of EUR 1,429.24 (including court fees and accrued interest).

I have no personal experience with this kind of thing, but I'm not sure getting a lawyer will do anything but incur additional costs at this point. With the court judgment in their pocket, if they don't get their pound of flesh, they'll pass it onto a collection agency, who will then pursue your friend relentlessly - and for a much higher amount.

If your friend knows a lawyer she can ask for advice, then go for it, but IMO it's just throwing good money after bad.

Thanks for the responses. That sounds horrible. Is there anywhere that would offer advice for free? I'm from the UK so have no idea where to look and she's a student with essentially no income other than Bafog. Surely we could contest this with her not being in the country for a year to receive any letters. 

9 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

They're demanding immediate payment of EUR 1,429.24 (including court fees and accrued interest).

Isn't that considerably less than Waldorf-Frommer used to "demand" in their Abmahnungen? I kinda vaguely remember numbers in the multiple thousands from other threads.

20 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Why not write directly to Warner Brothers and ask them if you can settle with them in way of a donation to their prefered charity as you have a fobia about sending money to Lawyers who prey on the ignorant internet users...

That's actually an interesting idea. Not sure if they'd go for it, but it could be worth a shot.

33 minutes ago, kato said:

Isn't that considerably less than Waldorf-Frommer used to "demand" in their Abmahnungen? I kinda vaguely remember numbers in the multiple thousands from other threads.

I seem to recall that they imposed a new limit a little while back - something like €300 per case plus lawyer fees. I don't know if it applies here, however.

IIRC the standard demand was around €900, but maybe I'm misremembering that.