Streaming Laws in 2019

36 posts in this topic

Ah okay, yeah that I figured so much. That is why I didn't want to take any risk, but I thought I'd ask just to learn more about it. Why is it that using a VPN allows people to stream more "safely"?

3 hours ago, elliebeans said:

Ah okay, yeah that I figured so much. That is why I didn't want to take any risk, but I thought I'd ask just to learn more about it. Why is it that using a VPN allows people to stream more "safely"?

When you use a vpn your IP address is securely hidden behind that of the vpn server and the good ones don't keep records, i.e. you can't be identified.

22 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

When you use a vpn your IP address is securely hidden behind that of the vpn server and the good ones don't keep records, i.e. you can't be identified.

On the other hand it is widely believed that many VPN servies are actually run by governmental agencies  (search for vpn honeypot if you are interested), and plenty of vpn services that I have seen recommended before (remember HideMyAss?) have admitted to sharing data which they supposedly didnt keep with the FBI. 

They probably arent sharing your data with random lawyers that are sending out fines for bittorrent, but none should feel too secure about these services. In most cases we simply dont know who is really behind them, or what they are doing with your data.

10 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

On the other hand it is widely believed that many VPN servies are actually run by governmental agencies  (search for vpn honeypot if you are interested), and plenty of vpn services that I have seen recommended before (remember HideMyAss?) have admitted to sharing data which they supposedly didnt keep with the FBI. 

They probably arent sharing your data with random lawyers that are sending out fines for bittorrent, but none should feel too secure about these services. In most cases we simply dont know who is really behind them, or what they are doing with your data.

You could be right, that vpns may not be secure enough for criminal hackers and terrorists but with the greatest respect,

"They probably arent sharing your data with random lawyers that are sending out fines" should really say They definitely aren't sharing your data with random lawyers that are sending out fines. (including the apostrophe^_^).

Yeah for sure, it is definitely not to be used as a "get away with streaming" card. There should always be a hint of caution and one must always be careful. But it is interesting to see the work around streaming. I personally am quite happy with paid streams, however there are moments where you would for example want to watch Lord of the Rings and Amazon Prime Germany is just complicated and there is a while big language issue to having to find THE English version and blahblahblah. And those are the moments where a part of me is just like, "let's just stream" Haha

What VPN would you best recommend and what is the price range one should look out for? :D

Of course, it depends on how you think, but using a VPN to get-around the geo-locks that NETFLIX, BBC etc that have put in place is breaking the terms and conditions you have signed up for. This means you are breaking copywriter regulations by doing it as you are not supposed to it.

It could be argued that by not paying for it, you break the copywrite regulation in a harder way, but I believe from a legal point of view, that doing anything to get around copywrite regulations is technically wrong, even for paid streams, however its seems to me that a lot of people do it  - and do not lose any sleep over it.

You can read good and bad reviews for all VPN firms, if you want to break copywrite rules for US programs in particular NETFLIX, then a lot of people use ExpressVPN, but its expensive ! Cheaper ones can be found

54 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Of course, it depends on how you think, but using a VPN to get-around the geo-locks that NETFLIX, BBC etc that have put in place is breaking the terms and conditions you have signed up for. This means you are breaking copywriter regulations by doing it as you are not supposed to it.

And they might not know where you are, but they do know which vpn you use, and of course they know who you are because you logged in (at least netflix.  last time I used it there was no login for iplayer).  

18 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Yes.  Plus many are still subject to subpoenas if issued.

And they will have some records because:

They know who you are, in order to bill you

They may log other meta-data such as when and how often you login, and how much data/bandwidth you use, from which IPs to ensure that you stay within the limits of the service you receive.

If you are suspected of doing something illegal, this would be enough for a government agency to then start monitoring you more closely in which case they might be able to force the VPN provider to enable detail logging, or more likely, allow them to tap into your connection and monitor themselves.

They also have other ways of monitoring which are not secure from VPN.  And even simple deduction can help them narrow their search fields.

If you are using a free VPN then one should ask yourself "How can they afford to offer this service for free?"  Nobody does such things out of generosity, and the truth is that such services often sell your data.  

2 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

And they might not know where you are, but they do know which vpn you use, and of course they know who you are because you logged in (at least netflix.  last time I used it there was no login for iplayer).  

BBC Iplayer does require a login these days before you can use it. Email address and UK postcode required to set up an account. (neither of which need to be permanent/accurate).

Lately, I could no longer watch Netflix if I use VPN. It always gives me an error and advice me to turn off the “unblocker of proxy”. I paid for my VPN & Netflix by the way.

5 hours ago, Kakashi said:

Lately, I could no longer watch Netflix if I use VPN. It always gives me an error and advice me to turn off the “unblocker of proxy”. I paid for my VPN & Netflix by the way.

Have you contacted/complained to your VPN provider and if so how did they react? For the benefit of others here who may be thinking about paying for a vpn how about letting us know which one it was!

6 hours ago, Kakashi said:

Netflix have started cracking down on VPN for a few years.  But there are still which still work.

As @keith2011 suggests, you should contact your VPN provider.  They might suggest other VPN servers to use on their service which are known to work.  Else, you need to try another VPN provider.  Or a Smart DNS service.

This article details a bit more:

https://bgr.com/2018/05/21/best-vpn-netflix-which-ones-still-work/

41 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Do keep up, that option changed ages ago.

Of all the major broadcasters I can't think of any that allow you to view their content without logging in.

I am well aware of that, these days as quoted in the sentence below applies to the present, it in no way indicates this is something new!

19 hours ago, keith2011 said:

BBC Iplayer does require a login these days before you can use it.

Furthermore accessing some major broadcasters, including the BBC  through some HTPC applications e.g. Kodi does not require the end user to login although you still need a vpn to avoid geo-blocking.

2 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

Correct, that option changed ages ago.

Of all the major broadcasters I can't think of any that allow you to view their content without logging in.

I can and sometimes do watch BBC,ITV and  CH4 on an old ES series TV - I have never logged in and when I look through the settings, there is no information on how to log in

I think a couple of years ago, samsung de-activated the smart HUD for my TV, so I get no further updates, which is great because it just works, without any form of registration, I guess there are still some older systems around aswll that will do this. Of course I need a VPN- do not use it much thou

On 7/22/2019, 10:12:33, zwiebelfisch said:

If you are really worried about it, you  can set up your own VPN server, to give you a UK address, costs a bit less than the expensive VPN's - lots of guides on the internet on how to do it - then you do not have to worry about any VPN companey knowing what your doing and you can delete any logs aswell