Getting a job from abroad

11 posts in this topic

Hallo alle!

I wanted to get everyone's opinion regarding this; I've been recently interviewing at several startups in Berlin (I live abroad and I'd like to move to Berlin). All goes well until they invite me to an in-person interview, knowing my current location, they offer to pay for the flights and accommodation. My first response is to ask for an exception of being interviewed via video call instead, and that's when they turn me down.

My question is do you think it's normal or fair to throw someone off the process altogether because of their geographical circumstance? It doesn't make sense to me to fly to Berlin (which means applying for and receiving a visitor's visa ON THE INTERVIEW'S SPECIFIED TIME) and interviewing with no guarantee of an offer. Also I can't do it for every company I'm in contact with, it just makes no practical sense to me.

What do you think?

If they're already offering to pay flights etc. for you because your cv impressed them so much, they're willing to go spend money getting you there, maybe it's HOW you speak to them that's the problem. If you flat out refuse to travel, you've already proven yourself inflexible. If you SUGGEST/enquire might it be possible to have an initial phone/web interview, that's a different matter.

At some point you're usually going to have to travel to a final interview. 

If it's a startup doing this, frankly I'd be quite cautious:

A) (failing) Startups may have had a sudden cash injection from an investor, but some can act like they have money to burn. Until they go bust very quickly...

B. Precisely because of A) you would think startups would do 1st interviews via web/phone to conserve funds, and only shortlisted 2nd+ interviews at-location.

PS if you are constantly getting shortlisted from 1st to 2nd interview in most Berlin jobs you are applying for, I am extremely jealous :-)

Hey,

So it actually is the 3rd interview that I'm required to do in person, I've already done the first two on phone / video. So you think it's okay for them to ask me that?

20 minutes ago, Maram said:

So it actually is the 3rd interview that I'm required to do in person, I've already done the first two on phone / video. So you think it's okay for them to ask me that?

Do you expect a job offer without ever having attended an interview?!?!? :wacko:

I'm not surprised that you are not being taken seriously. 

Of course they want to meet you in person, it is the quickest and easiest way to interact with somebody in the working environment. If all it takes you is some time and flexibility, why even consider refusing that offer, for you it is also a great opportunity to see where you would work and meet more future potential colleagues in person. It’s a no brainer and you should be grateful for the opportunity. 

I'm grateful you guys, I just have some issues that would stand in the way between me and a visitor's visa now. My bank statements don;t look that great and to apply I need to submit the last 6 months/statements. That's the main reason I don't wanna ge tinto it, I just know the end result. On the other hand for a work visa I don't need to prove any means of sustenance because I'll have a job offer. Also keep in mind that they're multiple companies, how am I supposed to fly there and back for each interview? I live in Egypt and I still have my job here.

A final thought, I'd already done two interviews and a design task (I'm a UX designer), so basically by that point I'd been flexible enough to basically work for free. So is it so terrible to expect some flexibility in return too?

They might want to see how you fit in an established team. Find something to offer a an alternative for this interaction that works for your field as a first step.

Berlin start ups may not yet understand what the are asking for. This is innovation. Lack,of,experience is often is a part of this. If not possible, let them know neutally but clearly why not. Someone might unterstand what you have thought about and appreciate this. Others are likely not to.

1 minute ago, Kommentarlos said:

They might want to see how you fit in an established team. Find something to offer a an alternative for this interaction that works for your field,

Berlin start ups may not yet understand what the are asking for. This is innovation. Nativity is a part of this. If not possible, let them know neutally but clearly why not. Someone might unterstand what you have thought about and appreciate this. Others are likely not to.

So do you think in my reply to them I should mention the bank statements issue? Or just a general explanation without getting into details? 

Have you considered subcontracting with the companies which are interested?   

You could get paid via upwork or some other clearinghouse and simply work remotely from your current location. 

It would give you an idea of how things go with the startups in Germany and it might help increase your bank account balance. 

Good luck.  

In my minimal experience in dealing with German companies, they tend to be looking to hire someone long-term and as such the hiring process is often longer and more intensive than countries with greater labour market flexibility. I find that my colleagues suggest they'll stay in a job a minimum of two years, even if they don't really like it otherwise it will reflect badly on them. I tend to think a year is reasonable. I know others consider 3 months to be above and beyond. It sounds like you're doing quite well on the job hunting front if you are making it to this point in the application. Your best bet is probably just being upfront and saying that you're really interested in the position, but know that it is very difficult to get the appropriate visa and ask if they can proceed further via video.

The other thing that you have to consider if you plan on moving here is that there are a large number of fixed costs in coming to Germany which might make it quite difficult for you to take up a job offer. You need the first months' rent, you need accommodation while you find somewhere to live, you will probably need furniture and even a kitchen, etc.