Techniker Krankenkasse: anyone get Meningitis B vaccine covered?

15 posts in this topic

TK officially doesn't cover the Meningitis B vaccine, but with our first kid we submitted one dose of it as a travel vaccination and they paid it. (First two doses were done on the NHS)

 

Now baby #2 is soon to arrive and looking at which parent's insurance to put the baby on (we are with different Krankenkassen). Trying to guess if we would have the same luck getting MenB paid for the second time around. Did anyone else with TK have success or alternatively failure getting the MenB paid for?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019, 5:05:02, john g. said:

Thanks but doesn't really help. TK officially covers only travel vaccines (in addition to the standard vaccination list) and MenB isn't currently a recommended vaccine for travel to any specific country. The original post was asking for more data points on other folks' success/failure receiving reimbursement for the MenB vaccine notwithstanding its exclusion by TK.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I can help.

 

I have TK and a 8 month old daughter. My doctor reccomended she get the vaccine before we return to vacation in the USA. He said if TK doesn't cover it, two injections would be 150.00 Euros each. ..So I did some research and found this: 

 

https://www.tk.de/techniker/service/leistungen-und-mitgliedschaft/schwangerschaft-und-familie/leistungen-fuer-kinder-und-jugendliche/kinderschutzimpfungen/uebernimmt-tk-kosten-fuer-meningokokken-impfung-2008036

 

In short, apart from a situation where your child is considered 'high risk' only sub type C is covered from 13 months to 18 years. My husband and I wil likely be paying out of pocket. I hope this helped a little.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019, 1:14:51, NativeFraulein said:

I hope I can help.

 

I have TK and a 8 month old daughter. My doctor reccomended she get the vaccine before we return to vacation in the USA. He said if TK doesn't cover it, two injections would be 150.00 Euros each. ..So I did some research and found this: 

 

https://www.tk.de/techniker/service/leistungen-und-mitgliedschaft/schwangerschaft-und-familie/leistungen-fuer-kinder-und-jugendliche/kinderschutzimpfungen/uebernimmt-tk-kosten-fuer-meningokokken-impfung-2008036

 

In short, apart from a situation where your child is considered 'high risk' only sub type C is covered from 13 months to 18 years. My husband and I wil likely be paying out of pocket. I hope this helped a little.

Reiterating the original post: TK say publicly that they don't cover the MenB vaccine, but paid for one dose in our case with no specific medical indication. Was hoping that other members' experience could illuminate whether they are (quietly) paying for the MenB vaccine in general, notwithstanding statements to the contrary, or if our first case was an isolated exception.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20.5.2019, 13:47:59, willyg said:

Reiterating the original post: TK say publicly that they don't cover the MenB vaccine, but paid for one dose in our case with no specific medical indication. Was hoping that other members' experience could illuminate whether they are (quietly) paying for the MenB vaccine in general, notwithstanding statements to the contrary, or if our first case was an isolated exception.

 

Ah very good WillyG, what were the grounds/reason that TK made the exception? My DD will have her U6 in July and we would like to return to the USA for Christmas. I hope this might  be enough of a reason but who knows... .                                   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NativeFraulein said:

 

Ah very good WillyG, what were the grounds/reason that TK made the exception? My DD will have her U6 in July and we would like to return to the USA for Christmas. I hope this might  be enough of a reason but who knows... .                                   

They didn't say. We just submitted it as a travel vaccination and they paid for it without explanation. We are just not sure if we will get away with it again.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible the jobsworth didn't look very closely at what you submitted.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, optimista said:

It's possible the jobsworth didn't look very closely at what you submitted.

Of course, although they did send a detailed breakdown of the costs they were paying for and it clearly said Men B on there.

 

But nevertheless, to repeat, this question was about crowdsourcing data points from others' experiences, and speculation about our own case is (in the nicest possible way) rather unhelpful.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it was because your child had begun the series in the UK, where it is a standard vaccination. 

 

You'll have to forgive us for speculating. The vaccination is not on the schedule for children of your child's age either in Germany or the United States. It's unlikely that there will be many of us with information you would consider helpful. 

 

We travel frequently to the States and have seen several pediatricians and it hasn't once been suggested. 

 

The situation might be different if you are travelling to some specific region where this is a problem or your child will be spending time in a boarding school. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's important to you, you can ask your Hausartz/in whether s/he would order the vaccine for your child, if it's available in Germany.  You'd have to pay for this out of pocket.
This is how I got an MMR immunization for my son back in 1974, when it wasn't yet on the German schedule of immunizations.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ann_MA said:

Perhaps it was because your child had begun the series in the UK, where it is a standard vaccination. 

There is no way the TK could have known about vaccine history prior to arrival in Germany.

 

11 hours ago, Ann_MA said:

You'll have to forgive us for speculating. The vaccination is not on the schedule for children of your child's age either in Germany or the United States. It's unlikely that there will be many of us with information you would consider helpful. 

Understood. Although the fact that many other KKs explicitly offer the MenB vaccine for children as an extra benefit does strongly suggest that it must be, if not universal, at least fairly common in Germany to give this vaccine (and not just for families from the UK).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I'd hijack this thread to ask about the Meningitis B vaccine more generally. Is it really 'that' necessary? I'm generally 100% for vaccines, but just wondering in this case... is it really a common infection among kids here? The possible effects, including death, sound grim. 

 

Well our son is still only a few weeks old, and our U3 is still to come, so we have some time to decide. Generally, I'm intending to do the whole vaccine array and we will probably do Men B as well... But since this one isn't covered by insurance (our doctor explained it's at least partly a Bundesland thing. Niedersachsen doesn't consider Men-B of vital significance...), I have some doubts. 

 

And this vaccine topic has reminded me I haven't had a booster shot of any kind for approximately 11 years!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, meningitis is a killer disease.  Our upstairs neighbor's 2-year-old was under the weather and the grandmother called the Hausarztin.  She was also our Hausarztin, and she told me later, after it was clear the little one would recover, that if she'd been called in even an hour later, the child would have died.  As it is, within an hour she was in isolation and a subsequent lengthy hospital stay.  She hadn't even seemed very ill - certainly not in danger of dying - so it was a lucky thing the grandmother made the call.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading about bacterial meningitis makes me want to go wash my hands. 

 

Most people do not get sick from the bacteria, one in ten people have it in their noses or throats at any one time.  People with weak immune systems are most vulnerable.  It is quite hard to pass on to other people.  23 percent of 19 year old males are asymptomatic carriers (all that snogging) and 16 to 23 year olds also have highest rate of infection (all that snogging again). 

 

Some states are waiting to see results from the UK on the B strain  vaccine, how long it lasts, and whether it has any herd immunity effects.

UK invasive meningitis rate is 3 times that of Germany.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now