Techniker Krankenkasse: anyone get Meningitis B vaccine covered?

12 posts in this topic

TK officially doesn't cover the Meningitis B vaccine, but with our first kid we submitted one dose of it as a travel vaccination and they paid it. (First two doses were done on the NHS)

Now baby #2 is soon to arrive and looking at which parent's insurance to put the baby on (we are with different Krankenkassen). Trying to guess if we would have the same luck getting MenB paid for the second time around. Did anyone else with TK have success or alternatively failure getting the MenB paid for?

On 5/15/2019, 5:05:02, john g. said:

Thanks but doesn't really help. TK officially covers only travel vaccines (in addition to the standard vaccination list) and MenB isn't currently a recommended vaccine for travel to any specific country. The original post was asking for more data points on other folks' success/failure receiving reimbursement for the MenB vaccine notwithstanding its exclusion by TK.

I hope I can help.

I have TK and a 8 month old daughter. My doctor reccomended she get the vaccine before we return to vacation in the USA. He said if TK doesn't cover it, two injections would be 150.00 Euros each. ..So I did some research and found this: 

https://www.tk.de/techniker/service/leistungen-und-mitgliedschaft/schwangerschaft-und-familie/leistungen-fuer-kinder-und-jugendliche/kinderschutzimpfungen/uebernimmt-tk-kosten-fuer-meningokokken-impfung-2008036

In short, apart from a situation where your child is considered 'high risk' only sub type C is covered from 13 months to 18 years. My husband and I wil likely be paying out of pocket. I hope this helped a little.

On 5/17/2019, 1:14:51, NativeFraulein said:

I hope I can help.

I have TK and a 8 month old daughter. My doctor reccomended she get the vaccine before we return to vacation in the USA. He said if TK doesn't cover it, two injections would be 150.00 Euros each. ..So I did some research and found this: 

https://www.tk.de/techniker/service/leistungen-und-mitgliedschaft/schwangerschaft-und-familie/leistungen-fuer-kinder-und-jugendliche/kinderschutzimpfungen/uebernimmt-tk-kosten-fuer-meningokokken-impfung-2008036

In short, apart from a situation where your child is considered 'high risk' only sub type C is covered from 13 months to 18 years. My husband and I wil likely be paying out of pocket. I hope this helped a little.

Reiterating the original post: TK say publicly that they don't cover the MenB vaccine, but paid for one dose in our case with no specific medical indication. Was hoping that other members' experience could illuminate whether they are (quietly) paying for the MenB vaccine in general, notwithstanding statements to the contrary, or if our first case was an isolated exception.

On 20.5.2019, 13:47:59, willyg said:

Reiterating the original post: TK say publicly that they don't cover the MenB vaccine, but paid for one dose in our case with no specific medical indication. Was hoping that other members' experience could illuminate whether they are (quietly) paying for the MenB vaccine in general, notwithstanding statements to the contrary, or if our first case was an isolated exception.

Ah very good WillyG, what were the grounds/reason that TK made the exception? My DD will have her U6 in July and we would like to return to the USA for Christmas. I hope this might  be enough of a reason but who knows... .                                   

1 hour ago, NativeFraulein said:

Ah very good WillyG, what were the grounds/reason that TK made the exception? My DD will have her U6 in July and we would like to return to the USA for Christmas. I hope this might  be enough of a reason but who knows... .                                   

They didn't say. We just submitted it as a travel vaccination and they paid for it without explanation. We are just not sure if we will get away with it again.

21 hours ago, optimista said:

It's possible the jobsworth didn't look very closely at what you submitted.

Of course, although they did send a detailed breakdown of the costs they were paying for and it clearly said Men B on there.

But nevertheless, to repeat, this question was about crowdsourcing data points from others' experiences, and speculation about our own case is (in the nicest possible way) rather unhelpful.

Perhaps it was because your child had begun the series in the UK, where it is a standard vaccination. 

You'll have to forgive us for speculating. The vaccination is not on the schedule for children of your child's age either in Germany or the United States. It's unlikely that there will be many of us with information you would consider helpful. 

We travel frequently to the States and have seen several pediatricians and it hasn't once been suggested. 

The situation might be different if you are travelling to some specific region where this is a problem or your child will be spending time in a boarding school. 

If it's important to you, you can ask your Hausartz/in whether s/he would order the vaccine for your child, if it's available in Germany.  You'd have to pay for this out of pocket.
This is how I got an MMR immunization for my son back in 1974, when it wasn't yet on the German schedule of immunizations.

11 hours ago, Ann_MA said:

Perhaps it was because your child had begun the series in the UK, where it is a standard vaccination. 

There is no way the TK could have known about vaccine history prior to arrival in Germany.

11 hours ago, Ann_MA said:

You'll have to forgive us for speculating. The vaccination is not on the schedule for children of your child's age either in Germany or the United States. It's unlikely that there will be many of us with information you would consider helpful. 

Understood. Although the fact that many other KKs explicitly offer the MenB vaccine for children as an extra benefit does strongly suggest that it must be, if not universal, at least fairly common in Germany to give this vaccine (and not just for families from the UK).