What should I put as the Kinderfreibetrag in my contract?

5 posts in this topic

Im signing a contract and I need to fill in some forms regarding my personal information.

There, I need to put in my Kinderfreibetrag but I do not know what to put there.

We don't receive kindergeld at the moment. But we want to apply for it after having this contract. So, should I put 0 as Kinderfreibetrag?

It depends on your tax class.   If you are 4/4 then you and your wife can share it, so if you have 2 kids you could take 1.0 and your wife the other 1.0.   If your tax class is 3/5 then the one in class 3 takes it all.   Class 2 takes all as well.

Edit: Kindergeld is irrelevant

I'm the only one who works. So the tax class is 3 and we have one kid. in that case what should i put there?

1.0 is the correct answer?!

My understanding is that Kinderfreibetrag is an amount of money you can deduct from your tax.  The way you describe it here it is just an information for your employer so they can deduct it when paying your salary i.e. you get (a little) more money each month. Even if you don't enter the kid it will be corrected in your yearly tax declaration and will be deducted then. Its not to be mixed with Kindergeld which is money you get from the government per kid irrespective of your income/tax status as long as you are living in Germany.