Reclaiming German Pension Fund Contributions

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am a British citizen who lived and worked in Germany from August 2012 to February 2013. I now live in Australia and have been here since August 2017.

I have completed the V0901 form and had it stamped at the German consulate here in Sydney. I asked the assistant at the consulate what I do next with the form, but she wasn't so clear on next steps and said I should refer to the DRV website.

I've done a bit of digging, and believe all I need to do now is send of the form with a cover letter. My German is a bit crap now, so could you please offer some advice on my approach and the cover letter below?

Thank you

Tom Mustermann
Sydney
Australia

15. Mai 2019

Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund
Ruhrstraße 2, 10709 Berlin

Beitragserstattung bei Aufenthalt im Ausland

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren.

anbei übersende ich Ihnen meine Antrag auf Beitragserstattung bei Aufenthalt im Ausland.

Versicherungsnummer: 11111111T111

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Tom Mustermann

4 hours ago, t07924 said:

I am a British citizen who lived and worked in Germany from August 2012 to February 2013. I now live in Australia and have been here since August 2017.

EU citizens are NOT eligible for a refund of their public pension contributions. 

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

EU citizens are NOT eligible for a refund of their public pension contributions. 

My understanding is that not being able to claim back as a result of being British/EU citizen is moot - per https://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Pension_refunds_on_leaving_German.

At the moment, I am contributing into the Australian superannuation (pension) system as an Australian resident for tax purposes, so I may qualify for a refund on the German system because - provided I stay in Australia - I will get a heavily reduced UK (EU) pension. I.e. the form has asked me for my Australian tax number (equivalent of UK NI number).

I think what governments are worried about is that you work in their country briefly, withdraw your pension (or super) contributions, leave for a bit, and then expect you can go back and get the full pension.

In any event, I want to have a shot at claiming the pension payments anyway, so any comments on the cover letter would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, t07924 said:

anbei übersende ich Ihnen meinen Antrag auf Beitragserstattung bei Aufenthalt im Ausland.

Just that one fix. But I believe engelchen is right. AFAIK you should be chasing up the British pension people to get your time in Germany recognized.

Only non-EU citizens are entitled to pension payment refunds.

I suspect that DRV will send you a letter stating as much in response to your request.

Nonetheless, best of luck to you - please let us know how it works out.

2 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Just that one fix. But I believe engelchen is right. AFAIK you should be chasing up the British pension people to get your time in Germany recognized.

Only non-EU citizens are entitled to pension payment refunds.

I suspect that DRV will send you a letter stating as much in response to your request.

Nonetheless, best of luck to you - please let us know how it works out.

Thank you for the tweak.

Good idea about contacting UK pension people as well.

On another point, will DRV only contact me by post?

I ask because I’ll be moving apartment in two months time, so it might make sense for DRV to send correspondence to my employer instead. I’m not sure if I can request this in the cover letter, when the address I’m using in the form will be my current apartment. Are they likely to be flexible on stuff like this?

9 minutes ago, t07924 said:

On another point, will DRV only contact me by post?

I ask because I’ll be moving apartment in two months time, so it might make sense for DRV to send correspondence to my employer instead. I’m not sure if I can request this in the cover letter, when the address I’m using in the form will be my current apartment. Are they likely to be flexible on stuff like this?

They're not necessarily famous for their flexibility, but you can try.

In general, however, I'd recommend that you set up mail forwarding for at least six months (or perhaps a year) after you move.

5 hours ago, t07924 said:

My understanding is that not being able to claim back as a result of being British/EU citizen is moot

You are wrong. 

EU citizens are eligible (regardless of country of residence) to contribute voluntarily to the public German pension fund, which makes them automatically ineligible for a refund.

If the UK actually leaves the EU, your eligibility for a refund will depend on the terms your country leaves the union.