Dual nationals DE/UK and voting in the EU election?

6 posts in this topic

So months ago I registered to vote in the UK as I do every year.

Also this year got my confirmation of German citizenship, and they put me on the register here as a German citizen.

Apart from this I’ve done nothing proactive but somehow I’ve received voting papers for the EU elections BOTH here AND in the UK.

what’s going on? Anyone else get 2 sets of voting papers? Are duals allowed to vote in both countries?! I’d assume we’re not. Any need to inform the other country once we’ve voted in one?

7 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

Are duals allowed to vote in both countries?

No, there was a thread about it somewhere last week that I cannot find.. Basically no, it is not allowed.

Here we go, found the link

14 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

Yup, all signs point to illegal.

ill probably go with the DE then.

Personally I think it will be better to vote in UK (I'm in the same situation), reason being that the vote in the UK is being billed as an indication of the current opinions on Brexit, so your vote has a greater value there.

On 15/05/2019, 10:55:28, fmshughes said:

Personally I think it will be better to vote in UK (I'm in the same situation), reason being that the vote in the UK is being billed as an indication of the current opinions on Brexit, so your vote has a greater value there.

Yup, I reconsidered and grabbed the postal vote form that's been gathering dust here.

Hopefully it will get there in time. As always I seriously doubt it will make the blindest bit of difference but hey ho, pushing the water back up the waterfall we go.