Wonderful Chicken Pox!

14 posts in this topic

When I was a kid we coveted chicken pox like gold dust.

 

When one kid had it the whole kindergarten / pre-school got it and parents were anxious to make sure you got it too, not quite to the point of lining up to be touched by the luck patient as if we all had the King's Evil, but pretty close.

 

Where are the Chicken Pox Parties in Germany?! Are all the kids clinically immunised? Or do they just keep little Finn and Ronja home for 3 weeks so that none of the class mates get it and we can all die of shingles later in life?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got chickenpox as a kid. As an adult, I've had 2 "reactivation" episodes, which of course are nothing like full-blown chickenpox, but still annoying :-(

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember my mum telling me when I was an adult that I was constantly covered from head to toe as a child with spots etc - chicken pox, measles , mumps- the works.

Plus constant ear aches, sore throats and the then dangerous and endemic mastoiditis .

The most painful as an adult: kidney stones and in Germany: shingles. The latter is dreadful and I was suffering from it close to Christmas.

 

My mate from Derby, Tony , heard about it and phoned me and sang down the phone: “  shingle bells, shingle bells, shingle all the way! “

😂

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same for me- had all the childhood bugs, despite vaccinations .

With chicken pox, the virus stays in the system, and my be reactivated as shingles. Very unpleasant.  ( Take anti-virals asap when this happens).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

and we can all die of shingles later in life?

 

Actually if you manage not to get chicken pox for your entire life you will not get shingles. On the other hand if you had chicken pox shingles is just waiting to get you.

This is the whole point about getting the chicken pox vaccine for your kids and getting the shingles vaccine when you get oldish if you had chickenpox. 

Chickenpox, outside of the maddening itch and the scars is fairly benign, as opposed to measles.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

Same for me- had all the childhood bugs, despite vaccinations .

With chicken pox, the virus stays in the system, and my be reactivated as shingles. Very unpleasant.  ( Take anti-virals asap when this happens).

 

Ah, cwap. OK. Then I’m happy for them to avoid it I suppose!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it before - had chickenpox as a kid and shingles in my late 40's. The shingles vaccine totally disabled my mom so I won't be getting it. My shingles were no big deal. Caught it early. Took the meds. Over in a 10 days or so. I now know what to look out for.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chickenpox is a herpes virus, and while the typical child's chickenpox episode may result in only minor discomfort, in an adult it can be serious: in a pregnant woman, it can affect the fetus so seriously the child will die in utero or be born with significant birth defects.  

I know why so many people are cavalier now about the formerly common childhood diseases - they've been protected by vaccines for two full generations.  It's called 'the confidence of ignorance.'

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I've said it before - had chickenpox as a kid and shingles in my late 40's. The shingles vaccine totally disabled my mom so I won't be getting it. My shingles were no big deal. Caught it early. Took the meds. Over in a 10 days or so. I now know what to look out for.

 

I am sorry your mum has a health condition that coincided with the shingles vaccine but please in these times of antivac it would be great not to write such things. The vaccine is safe, there is plenty of evidence available to that (same as for the hepatitis vaccine which has been proven not to cause MS multiple times) Your case of shingles was not bad and I am happy for that but some people have repeating episodes that are very painful and react poorly to medecine. My mom is now on her 3rd outbreak, the last one lasted about 6 month and she gave chickenpox to my son who had only partial vaccination at the time.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do your research, you will find that anaphylaxis is a possible side effect of the vaccination and, yes, it is extremely rare. My mom was left brain damaged and had to re-learn how to feed herself ect. She never regained use of her legs and was bedridden for 2 years before she passed. Her case was fully documented. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mom's repeated problems. It must be awful.

 

I am not an antivaxxer  by any stretch. I only gave my opinion and my experience - not a recommendation.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

If you do your research, you will find that anaphylaxis is a possible side effect of the vaccination and, yes, it is extremely rare. My mom was left brain damaged and had to re-learn how to feed herself ect. She never regained use of her legs and was bedridden for 2 years before she passed. Her case was fully documented. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mom's repeated problems. It must be awful.

 

I am not an antivaxxer  by any stretch. I only gave my opinion and my experience - not a recommendation.

Oh wow! My appologies. I stand corrected anaphylaxis is so rare I dismissed it. I am sorry it happened to your mom and it was not treated in time to limit damage.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got chickenpox as a kid with reactivation. As an adult in late 30's, I've had 3rd "reactivation".

 

Believe me, a reactivation for elders is not fun. I had an extreme attack which needed 4 weeks of hospitalization. Was treated only with painkillers.

 

The good aspect of reactivation: Natural immunity develops for future reactivations, which can help in old ages.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now