Is Quentin Blake still good school?

8 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone, Quentin Blake School offer my 9-years-old son a place at 5th grade if he can pass the English exam. I searched for the reputation of QB. It seems like quite good before 2014. Then, complaints started, especially for the teachers of grade 5 and 6. Even some bulling stories... Some disagreement argued that it was because QB began to give scores at grade 5, which made both the students and parents nervous. The latest comment was around Dec of 2016. It would be great if anyone knows 'what is new' at QB, especially for 2018 and 2019? Does the new principle manage to turn it back?  High appreciated for your sharing.

My son was at the school until last year (he's started Gymnasium now).

Throughout the six years he was there, some teachers were adequate, a very few were awful, and some were wonderful. There was only one teacher where all parents agreed that the teacher was awful, and that teacher has now retired anyway. 

With the teachers that my son had - teachers that I personally thought were doing a fantastic job - there were ALWAYS a few parents loudly complaining to everyone about how awful they thought those very same teachers were. So a lot of these perceptions are clearly pretty subjective.

So, based on my experience there:

-it doesn't matter really what 'reputation' the school has, within each school some of the teachers are better at their job, some are worse, and your child's experience will depend on which teachers he ends up with.

-I do know parents whose children went to Charles Dickens school, and parents who sent their children to some of the private schools. In much the same way, their child's school experience was more an issue of which teachers they ended up with, rather than an issue of what the school as a whole was like.

-if a random person asked me if they should send their child there, I would say yes.

12 hours ago, hehexixi said:

Some disagreement argued that it was because QB began to give scores at grade 5, which made both the students and parents nervous. 

This is how grades work in Berlin AFAIK:

- Class 3: Parents vote if they want grades or not.  Teachers normally push for no grades.

- Class 4: Parents vote if they want grades or not.  Teachers normally push for grades.

- Class 5: Grades are mandatory. 

AFAIK Quentin Blake is a great primary school.

55 minutes ago, hehexixi said:

@Kriegis there someplace I can check the average AFAIK scores for each primary school? 

Greenie for hehexixi for the cute question

Greenie for Jeffo for being a gentleman