Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Employer not paying tax correctly

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have a question regarding regulations for taxes in Germany. The story is too long to cover here but shortly it is the following for the past 3 years I have had 2 normal jobs given to me by the same employer just one was for teaching and one for research and about 7 months ago the tax people sent me an invoice that I owe taxes. Since then this happened another 4 times as apparently the tax pay period is 2 years or so I have been told. I have checked the big piece of paper given to me my the employer and it is true that one of them has all the payment, health insurance, pension etc taxes and the other one has none of them paid. The tax office said they don't care that I have always been in a normal declared job and they need the tax paid within a week so this has led to me going in to a huge dept. 

Question is - how is it somehow legal for an employer to not pay any tax and declare it even so that I have to cover the payments ? I have recently been recommended to seek legal assistance and press charges against them but just wanted to check if someone has had similar experience ? 

And also could someone recommend a English speaking tax lawyer in hamburg ?

Offhand, it sounds like one of your jobs is a regular position and the other is freelance (freier Mitarbeiter). You're responsible for paying the tax in the latter case.

Were you working both jobs concurrently or did you work one first, then the other?

What do your employment contracts say?

51 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Offhand, it sounds like one of your jobs is a regular position and the other is freelance (freier Mitarbeiter). You're responsible for paying the tax in the latter case.

Were you working both jobs concurrently or did you work one first, then the other?

What do your employment contracts say?

You are in a way very right as in how it was declared apparently. So my first one is normal second one is the same but declared on tax class 6 - however they have also declared it as freelance (which it is not as I have a contract for it ) so essentially not only they have not paid the tax6 taxes bit wanted me to pay the freelance on top (none of which is in the contract or communicated with me) 

" So my first one is normal second one is the same but declared on tax class 6"  

Question is how is it somehow legal for an employer to not pay any tax and declare it even so that I have to cover the payments ?"

Did you receive two pay slips? Your employer doesn’t pay your tax, it is deducted from your salary and transferred to the tax office.

If you are a freelancer, you send your client an invoice at the end of each month, your tax class has nothing to do with them.

I suggest you seek expert advice.