Finanzamt asking money to us, while the landlords are not paying taxes

34 posts in this topic

Wow. I learn something new every day. Had never heard of this.

I wonder how many flats the landlord owns. Maybe his debt isn't too high since they don't make him sell one.

4 hours ago, jeba said:

No, but it´s the easiest and cheapest. Why should they cause additional cost for sending a bailiff and have things impounded and foreclosed if all it takes is sending you a letter?

The garnishment of third party debtors/Drittschuldnerpfändun is a rarely used means of enforcement - and this takes place after a series of reminders, warnings and (other) fruitless attempts to collect debts. For landlords, this is the last stage before the property is forced to be auctioned off. 

2 hours ago, HEM said:

I suppose the OP is fearing that the landlord might throw him out (or some other form or harrasment) for non-payment of rent.

2 hours ago, maurice74 said:

Exactly. Because I had bad experiences in the past and in Hamburg they can do whatever they want, they will always be able to rent again in few hours

But why is your dissatisfaction then directed against "the system" and not against the landlord? Join the Mieterverein by the way, landlords can not do "whatever they want" - "the system" has rules and laws against that and and tenant rights are far more comprehensive in Germany than in most other countries ...

If I were the landlord, I would certainly not be thinking of throwing you out, and would be very careful to be nice to you, as I would not want you talking to other neighbours or the mietverein and saying the nasty landlord is making your life hard, because they are not paying their tax bill so the finanzamt made you pay the cold rent to them direrctly. In their position I would be keeping my head down and hoping you keep quiet about it.

Also note you only pay the cold rent to the Finanzamt. 

The cold rent is the profit the landlord makes after paying for heating etc. So they are even making sure the landlord has money to heat the place and pay utilities. They are actually working rather n your interests

47 minutes ago, franklan said:

I was in the same situation (as a tenant) some years ago...

and was going well ?

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Wow. I learn something new every day. Had never heard of this.

I wonder how many flats the landlord owns. Maybe his debt isn't too high since they don't make him sell one.

I suppose it's also less hassle for the finanzamt to get the money from the tenants instead of having to take one of his flats and sell it at auction.  Especially if he has many tenants.  They just have to send out a bunch of letters and voila, money starts coming in.

18 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So if we ever get into trouble with the FA, we can just let our renter pay them. Brill! :rolleyes:

Your renters pay for you every month. 

If you ever get into trouble with the FA and you ignore that trouble long enough, the FA just takes away your freedom to spend the money the way you want...

57 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I suppose it's also less hassle for the finanzamt to get the money from the tenants instead of having to take one of his flats and sell it at auction.  Especially if he has many tenants.  They just have to send out a bunch of letters and voila, money starts coming in.

They could have took the flat where I am, then sold to me at half of the normal price, it would have worked perfectly :-D :-D

6 minutes ago, maurice74 said:

They could have took the flat where I am, then sold to me at half of the normal price, it would have worked perfectly :-D :-D

That's not how it works. They always sell the stuff they seize at auction. You might be given right of first refusal, but it would be at the market price established by a surveyor.

12 minutes ago, maurice74 said:

In a foreclosure auction, the highest bidder is awarded the auction. And he could give you notice if he wants to move into the apartment himself... There is no advance purchase right in forced sales, iirc.

23 minutes ago, maurice74 said:

As others have said, if it were to go to auction, it will be sold to the highest bidder.  You can bid on it of course.  You would have to pay a deposit of 10% of the estimated price which will be refunded if you aren't the highest bidder.  The odds of it going at half of the normal price are fairly low if it's in a desirable area.  I know someone who has been buying at auction and renovating and he told me that in many cases, people go crazy at auction and the property ends up selling at above market price.

Ok, next time I will write explicitely that I was joking..:-D