Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Powerline recommendations

26 posts in this topic

I need to extend the range of my wifi so am thinking of powerline adaptors with wifi.  I saw one in operation at my daughter's and was very disappointed at the weakness of the wifi.  Does anybody here use them and can make a recommendation, please.

I have all Fritz box equipment. I have a router, plus 2 powerline repeaters. The trick to make it work well is to bind them on a mesh.

Problem is doing, as it took me several hours to get it working, and I´m pretty good with computers.

But after that I go around the house and see only 1 wifi spot. I can also switch between floors without having a video call failing.

I also use Fritz with a   1750E, fritz.repeater

I also had issues with set-up but I did find and watch a Youtube video which helped in the end.  The WiFi connection is now much better and now even extends out to the back of our garden (from our kitchen)

I have problems with wifi and use powerline adaptors, currently Develo dLan 500 duo+ to 2 rooms in my apartment which have been running trouble free for a couple of years, at least, I am well pleased with them. The have a built in pass through power socket so you don't loose one and 2 Lan sockets. I can stream HD TV without problems.I previously used some from TP-Link but had to replace them at about 1 per year due to hard failures. Develo  have do have higher speed versions these days.

Be aware that Powerline can have very bad influence (low speeds, disconnects) on DSL connections, esp. "Vectoring"/"SuperVectoring" (VDSL2 G.Vector 17a/35b) as typically used in Germany for DSL connections >16 Mbps. These problems can affect not just your own connection but also the neighbors'. Some adapters allow you to reduce power a bit to reduce this effect.

So I would avoid Powerline if you or your neighbors are using such connections if possible.

My need is not quite the same as that of the original poster, so my experience might not be relevant and might not help.

My Internet connection is only 16Mbps (due to be upgraded to 50 Mbps in two days time).  I use a Fritz!Box 7330 router.  In addition I use a a Linksys WRT3200ACM router which runs a VPN (ExpressVPN).  All my devices use the VPN.  My effective Internet speed is about 11 Mbps.

I have two Amazon Firesticks which I use for IPTV.  One of the Firesticks is connected to the VPN by WiFi, the other is connected via a Fritz!Powerline 1220E.  In my office there are two pcs, both connected by a single Fritz!Powerline 1220E.  We have a few other WiFi devices (Smartphones, tablets etc).  I reboot all the hardware every morning.

The setup is sufficient to support two simultaneous IPTV connection or any other combination of devices we have tried.

Hope this helps.

I also use the Fritz Powerlines, I have several 1220e adapters and 1260e's.

The 1220e adapters are mainly used for Deutsche Telekom entertainment boxes in each room as Germany technology of this kind doesn't offer WiFi and have to be hardwired.

I have a 1260e adapter in the Dining room which services the TV in the Kitchen which is approx 7 metres away, this is connected over the 5ghz frequency and works well also with the Firestick although this is over the 2.4ghz frequency.. I can keep the signal from this adapter throughout all the rooms but there are stronger signals coming from our other routers/adapters.

One of the 1260e adapters is in the garden where in a straight line with few objects in the way will work for approx 20-25 metres, it also depends on what I'm using, phone, laptop or Tab.

29 minutes ago, starkebogen said:

I have two Amazon Firesticks which I use for IPTV.  One of the Firesticks is connected to the VPN by WiFi, the other is connected via a Fritz!Powerline 1220E.

Do you mean 1260e? you cannot connect a Firestick to a 1220e adapter.

38 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Do you mean 1260e? you cannot connect a Firestick to a 1220e adapter.

No, I mean 1220E.  I omitted to mention that the Firestick connects to the 1220E via a UGREEN Ethernet adaptor.

@starkebogen

Interesting and very useful to know. Not sure if it will help my current situation as I don't have any connection problems over Wifi but could certainly come in useful when travelling.

2 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

The 1220e adapters are mainly used for Deutsche Telekom entertainment boxes in each room as Germany technology of this kind doesn't offer WiFi and have to be hardwired.

You can use e.g. FRITZ!Repeater 1750e as a "WLAN bridge" (Denglisch). https://avm.de/service/fritzwlan/fritzwlan-repeater-1750e/wissensdatenbank/publication/show/1486_FRITZ-Repeater-im-FRITZ-Box-Heimnetz-einrichten/ (first option)

But with Telekom Entertain you cannot use any bridge. There is the danger of the IPTV multicast packets flooding the wifi effectively rendering it useless if the equipment isn't suited for each other (google "IGMP snooping").

Thanks @sneaker I've already set the system up with the adapters as that was the only real solution to getting internet in every room for the Entertain boxes at the time, not necessarily the cheapest but was the most effective so it paid off in the end and it works.

I tried Fritz repeaters a few years ago and they were really hit and miss, there was another problem if I recall in the early days when the Chrome stick came out, it would work over a repeater either.

So basically, @Sir Percy B is the only one using a wifi Powerline with his 1260E. Here is my problem in more detail. I am trying to provide internet to the adjoining house. The second house requires connection very rarely so not worth the expense of a complete internet system.  So, another question has come to mind. Will my present TP-Link TL-WA854RE, range extender, in my house, talk to another extender in the other house? i.e.

Router in my house ----------> Extender in my house ---------> Extender other house -----> wifi

No, regular WiFi range extenders can't be daisy-chained. Each extender can communicate only with the base stations, not with each other.

You need a mesh system for that - entirely doable, but somewhat more expensive. You'll probably need a new router, too.

I think we have communication problem. Maybe I used the word "any" incorrectly.

What I meant is: you can use wifi for Telekom Entertain. It works with some but not with every combination of router/switches/wifi receivers. The combination of the equipment should be built to support Entertain (e.g. via IGMP snooping so the wifi doesn't get flooded with the IPTV packets). Usually this is the case with equipment from AVM and Telekom as these are built for the German market.

1 hour ago, sneaker said:

I think we have communication problem. Maybe I used the word "any" incorrectly.

What I meant is: you can use wifi for Telekom Entertain. It works with some but not with every combination of router/switches/wifi receivers. The combination of the equipment should be built to support Entertain (e.g. via IGMP snooping so the wifi doesn't get flooded with the IPTV packets). Usually this is the case with equipment from AVM and Telekom as these are built for the German market.

The t-home  receivers that I have installed do not have wifi capabillity at all

Newest, latest and greatest...

https://www.telekom.de/zuhause/geraete-und-zubehoer/media-receiver/media-receiver-401-schwarz

No wifi.

Yes, that's why I linked the "FRITZ!Repeater 1750E". You can use FRITZ!Box as router, have the 1750e connect to the router via wifi and then connect the Media Receiver to the 1750e via CAT5.

Similar with Speedport Smart 3 <- wifi -> Speed Home WiFi <- CAT5 -> Media Receiver 401.

I give up... You say it can be connected by wifi..

But the only connection it has to the internet is via the Ethernet connection...   That aint wifi...

Look at the post I originally quoted and answered to. The poster said he used Powerline to connect the media receiver as wifi isn't offered. I answered that he can use wifi. In the same sense he uses Powerline, i.e. by utilizing external wifi devices. Not that the media receivers have wifi in-built. They don't have Powerline in-built either so he understood what I meant.

Don't try so hard to misinterpret my posts. I even linked to the AVM website showing a nice picture of what I meant.

On 11.5.2019, 10:53:54, Sir Percy B said:

Getting back to @rodisi's original question: powerline technology is largely standardized, so you can buy the boxes from Fritz or another supplier and essentially get the same results.

If they don't work to your satisfaction, that's usually due to the electrical wiring in the building/flat, specifically the junction box/fuses/circuit breakers. I tried them in our apartment, which was built in 1985, but they don't work for that very reason. As an alternative, we installed a bridge WiFi system to the more remote TV sets/data devices that I find works much better than regular WiFi, presumably because it uses dedicated channels.

There are limits to the ranges (and physical barriers) that the bridge solutions can cope with too, however, so if your requirements go beyond that, I think a mesh WiFi system is the way to go.