Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Diesel Euro 4 across German cities?

10 posts in this topic

Hello folks! I was asked by my father who lives abroad but often travels across Europe by car to explain if you can drive Diesel Euro 4 in German cities. Since I'm a total noob when it comes to cars and don't drive myself, I would like to ask you for the latest information. 

Is Diesel Euro 4 banned in entire cities, or is it only particular zones/streets? Does it apply to most major cities in Germany? Are there fines if you drive it?

My father is thinking of selling his car because he thinks it'll be really problematic to use it in many European cities in the near future. Any opinions? Thanks!

Consult the following site for precise information (not just for Germany):

http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/

I would first check, how high the fines are.

In Germany it is definitely cheaper to pay the fines than buying a new car.

No risk no fun. (Says somebody who's car once had a red sticker. I removed it. Looks much better now.)

What he should avoid is parking on the streets. He should use parking garages.

thinking about it

I think my mothers car does not have a Euro class sticker in her car - because its in England !

I guess, not many countries in the EU - require you to have a sticker, so if your father drive from ausland to Germany - how are the police goes to know the 'class' of the car to give it a fine or not ?

5 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

I would first check, how high the fines are.

Not having the sticker costs 80€ in Berlin (the woman at the Zulassungsstelle told me this when she asked if I wanted to buy one). However, I'm not sure if that is just the cost of not having a sticker or it is the fine for driving in the Innenstadt with a car that does not meet the requirements.

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Not having the sticker costs 80€ in Berlin (the woman at the Zulassungsstelle told me this when she asked if I wanted to buy one). However, I'm not sure if that is just the cost of not having a sticker or it is the fine for driving in the Innenstadt with a car that does not meet the requirements.

It is the fine for entering the environmental zone without (or with the wrong) sticker - not having a sticker is completely legal, at least where you do not need one.

It costs €80 throughout Germany, plus administrative fees. In Stuttgart that is a further €28.50, or a total of €108.50. 

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

It is the fine for entering the environmental zone without (or with the wrong) sticker

Thank you for the explanation. That was the part I wasn't completely sure about, i.e. I didn't know if there was an additional fine for entering the zone with a car that doesn't meet the standard.

- not having a sticker is completely legal, at least where you do not need one.

That I actually already knew :)

It costs €80 throughout Germany, plus administrative fees. In Stuttgart that is a further €28.50, or a total of €108.50. 

Ouch!

BTW, after reading this thread I started looking at cars while they drove by on my lunch break to see if they had a sticker and it is really easy to tell from quite far away. I also saw a car with Russian plates that didn't have one.

41 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Ouch!

Indeed. And I have no idea how they're gonna deal with people who get caught repeatedly. If you're a stubborn parking bum (I think if you get one ticket a week for more than a year), you'll be invited to the MPU. 

41 minutes ago, engelchen said:

BTW, after reading this thread I started looking at cars while they drove by on my lunch break to see if they had a sticker and it is really easy to tell from quite far away. I also saw a car with Russian plates that didn't have one.

Here in the greater Stuttgart area, many people who only have to go to the city occasionally have removed all the clues from their cars that shout "EURO 4", i.e. lettering like "TDI" and so on ... ;)