Experience with Brexit residency application at the Ausländerbehörde, Berlin

9 posts in this topic

In case this information is useful to others, here I share my experiences at the Ausländerbehörde last week, applying for permanent residency due to brexit. I was stressed by the lack of information before I went, and didn't find much information here. So maybe this will help those who haven't yet had their appointment.

it didn't take me long to find the right waiting room, although there are many in the building. I would allow approximately 10 minutes once at the building to climb the stairs and locate the room. It's also important to get off at the correct underground exit, assuming you arrived that way. The building is not obviously official, though it does have a plaque on the gate with the correct name.  it's opposite a beautiful garden with fountains, which is a nice place to go once you've finish there.

I think that at the at the moment they're only seeing people who have lived in Germany more than 5 years. I'm in that category. Everybody else in the waiting room with me at the Ausländerbehörde was too, and some of them had already been granted permanent residency, and were coming back for their children.

I prepared a lot of paperwork, including a letter signed by my employer which confirmed my employment, also previous tax returns, Anmeldungs,  health insurance certificate, bank statement, employment contracts past and present, and more. I had actually got new private health insurance, and finally settled old self-employed income taxes in preparation as well. 

However none of this appeared to be necessary once at the Ausländerbehörde.  during my appointment last week the only thing which was requested was the completed residency application form, and my passport. I was called into the room twice within the space of about 15 minutes, and spent no more than 90 seconds in the room itself. First time in, my documents were requested. Second time in, I got my passport back with the permanent residency included. No questions asked. I had taken a native German friend to act as a translator, but this turned out to be unnecessary. The person I dealt with spoke English to me and had no problem or resistance doing so, though only a few words in total were ever exchanged. I suppose other workers there may not offer English, hard to say.

I do not know how much of the information and documents that I brought with me had already been checked online or with other relevant agencies before I arrived at the appointment. It's possible that the work I did with my taxes and new insurance plan had an influence, and that my residency and income had also been pre-checked. It's also possible that all the paperwork I brought was irrelevant, and that they would have given me permanent residency whether I had Anmeldung, insurance, etc or not.  I just can't say.  Maybe they just waved me through because I was the second appointment of the day and they were keen to avoid delays. My friend and I wore suits and were deliberately polite, which theoretically could also have had an influence. I just don't know.

overall the experience was Swift and efficient. The process went very well, there were no Surprises, and I was delighted to get my residency. There was no evidence of stress or chaos on the part of the authority, as has been suggested in the local Media. The impression I got was that this process was mostly a formality. There was no suggestion of an interview, and if you read the email or letter you got carefully, it refers to an invitation rather than any kind of examination.

I hope this account helps somebody, and wish anyone who is anxiously awaiting their appointment good luck.

Thanks, a well written, detailed and helpful overview.  Im sure this will be both helpful and allow many people who are quite stressed to relax.

What are the legal implications here?

If samfromberlin gets a residency permit as he has been here for longer than 5 years but samfromMunich does not who has also been here for also longer than 5 years.

Is immigration not done at a Federal level or am I missing something?

I recall reading that Brexit permit applications would be considered on a 'case by case' basis. I wish we knew more about the specific criteria but I haven't seen anything in that vein.

Can anyone else offer their experience with the Berlin Brexit residency application process and the appointment at the Ausländerbehörde?

2 hours ago, Berlinbased said:

Can anyone else offer their experience with the Berlin Brexit residency application process and the appointment at the Ausländerbehörde?

Since my own appointment, I have heard from a couple of other brits who went through the process a few months ago, that it was a rubber stamping exercise for them - no questions asked. One said that he had only been in Germany for a month or so, and had no employment here, but still received his residency. I can't verify that, and don't know the people in question well.

Thanks, Sam.

I have been in Germany for more than five years so I am not expecting problems but if you have a moment, I have a couple of questions.

1/ Just to confirm, the only documents they asked to see at your appointment were your passport and the completed residency application form, the 'Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels'.

2/ In the 'Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels' it asks:

"Haben Sie sich bereits früher in Deutschland aufgehalten?

Have you ever been in Germany before?"

Does this mean prior residency periods in Germany or also holidays or other brief non-residential periods in Germany?

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Berlinbased said:

1/ Just to confirm, the only documents they asked to see at your appointment were your passport and the completed residency application form, the 'Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels'.

Yes, that's all they asked of me. I took many, many other documents with me, just in case, but they weren't requested. Maybe it's worth saying that I was already 'in the system' of health insurance and taxation, so they could have looked up my details directly without my knowledge, and hypothetically if that happened, then they may ask other people for tax or insurance details who they can't find in their system (my tax and insurance status was unusual though, so apparently if they did check, then it wasn't too closely). Personally I assume that they just didn't check these things at all.

1 hour ago, Berlinbased said:

2/ In the 'Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels' it asks:

"Haben Sie sich bereits früher in Deutschland aufgehalten?

Have you ever been in Germany before?"

Does this mean prior residency periods in Germany or also holidays or other brief non-residential periods in Germany?

I remember that strange question; I think it's basically a mistake on their part -- the form is not designed for our use case specifically, I assume it's also used by German embassies in other countries. So I wouldn't worry about it -- just say yes and they will probably ignore it as an inappropriate question for your case (and the case of all existing UK residents in Germany).

Hope that helps.