Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Back to Work After Elternzeit, change of contract?

8 posts in this topic

Hello TT Community,

This might seem like a silly question but it might also be worth asking so here goes. I have been on maternity leave since August and will be returning to my work as a teacher in September. I have an unlimted, full time contract.

I would like to start in the first semester or two with half time teaching schedule.

I don't anticipate any issues with negotiating this but what should I be aware of in terms of my legal rights and obligations when I meet with administrators this month. Any TT Moms, Dads and caretakers share your experiences. 

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/karriere/rueckkehr-aus-der-elternzeit-das-ist-ihr-gutes-recht-1.2457582-2

Key takeaway: if you work for a small language school (less than 15 employees) or if your desire to work part-time would result in unreasonable costs for the company, they can deny your request. If neither of those factors apply, they have no right to refuse your request for part-time work.

Thank you El Jeffo for the link and advice.It will help someone plan their future for sure. I don't work at a language institute but a standard state school.

Why don't you ask the help of your colleagues who went on maternity leave before you?

On 5.5.2019, 17:27:12, LukeSkywalker said:

Why don't you ask the help of your colleagues who went on maternity leave before you?

Of course I have. This post is more in regards to the legal obligations, especially concerning my contact.

The problem is that the company can claim that due to "operational reasons" you cannot work part-time.

"Operational reasons" is quite vague, but basically can include that it would cost them more money, as others have said above.

They are also entitled to just say "No" and don't have to give you a reason, but they do have to inform you at least 1 month before you start (you have to request at least 3 months before you intend to start). 

So basically it comes down to what you can negotiate with your employer.  

Ok update:

I had a decent meeting with my employer in May and informed them that at least for the first semester that I would like to go part time at two days a week teaching. They agreed and nothing else was mentioned. As far as I know I 

My contract is unlimited and full time. I got an email today that my "new" contract was in the mail. I responded that I have a copy of my contract at home, that I have neither seen nor signed something new---nor do I intend to.

It has sadly come to me slowly but steadily through the grapevine that there is a lot of pressure from administrators towards teachers trying to get them to sign new (and obviously less beneficial)  contracts. There has been a ton of "political turmoil during my elternzeit and I have a strong sense already that I coming back into a chaotic situation next month. Teachers are being told that they are no longer "allowed" to teach subjects that they had taught at our location for years. Myself included. 

Who else has experienced something similar? What are my rights and obligations under such circumstances? 

You are requesting a change in your contract because you will be changing the number of hours you work.  Therefore there has to be an amendment of some kind as your old contract is not valid any more.

Normally, this can just be a simple addendum add to the contract that states the new work hours.  But they might send a new contract to sign and you are right to be sceptical and need to check all the details and conditions including that your original start date is honoured and taken over in the new contract.