Forced Job title change

3 posts in this topic

Hi community!

I was wondering if it is possible that an employer can force you to change your job title? 

I have been told that a company has the right to change your job title, even if there is an unlimited employment contract that clearly states the job title, but I find this a bit hard to believe. They have said that they are not allowed to change important things like salary, vacation time, etc, but job title changes can be forced.

Does anyone know if this is really the case?

Many thanks in advance!

No idea but perhaps grounds for asking for an Arbeitszeugnis if indeed so. Otherwise you will just get one when you leave with the new title.

How can employers make changes to existing employment agreements?

An employment agreement can be revised through a mutual amendment agreement between employer and employee. Under certain strict conditions, an employment agreement can also be changed unilaterally by the employer by way of a so-called ‘dismissal with the option of altered conditions of employment’ (this is predominantly used for changes to the job/position), or by using agreed fixed terms or revocation rights for certain conditions.

Employment and Labour Law in Germany