Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does anybody know the rules for riding E-Scooters in Germany??

55 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Not only on the streets, the first one was seen on an Autobahn: https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/autobahn-in-nordrhein-westfalen-mann-faehrt-mit-e-roller-auf-a46-a-1275311.html

"A 28-year-old has covered about seven kilometres on the A46 with his electric scooter. According to the police, the man's unusual journey began on Monday afternoon at Erkelenz station in North Rhine-Westphalia - where, according to information, he no longer wanted to wait for a train: "He used the navigation function of his mobile phone and was guided by it over the motorway."

I lost hope in humanity after reading the headliner and the first paragraphs but then the hope was restored after reading this bit:

Zwei Autofahrer nahmen sich den Angaben zufolge schließlich des E-Tretrollerfahrers an: Einer fuhr mit eingeschalteter Warnblinkanlage vor dem 28-Jährigen, der andere sicherte nach hinten ab.   An der nächsten Anschlussstelle - Hückelhoven-West - leiteten sie ihn von der Autobahn

Two car drivers decided to protect the idiot's life and one drove in front of the scooter guy and the other one behind him, while blinking the emergency lights.   And in the next exit they drove the guy out of the Autobahn.

I suspect these are likely to meet the same fate as the indie bike share business that started up in the last couple of years, because they are "distributing" them in really annoying ways.  Eg leaving them neatly (for now)  lined up two or three wide right in the middle of the sidewalk, blocking foot traffic.

It's just not great marketing to annoy people as part of your launch.

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

I suspect these are likely to meet the same fate as the indie bike share business that started up in the last couple of years, because they are "distributing" them in really annoying ways.  Eg leaving them neatly (for now)  lined up two or three wide right in the middle of the sidewalk, blocking foot traffic.

It's just not great marketing to annoy people as part of your launch.

But the problem is the people.    The only solution to have order is to have designated pick up stations and that you are required to drop them there.  But that would defeat their purpose.     

I think scooters are a great solution for short transportation, but it is not possible to successfully implement a renting service because of how people use and treat them.

these were left where they were by the company, I am fairly certain, as they all showed up, up and down the street, as of yesterday. 

Same thing happened with the indie bike share (can't remember their name but they are now defunct), they left bundles of bikes in obnoxious places to get people's attention, and next day or two you'd see the same bikes scattered all over the place, upside down, tossed in the bushes, etc.  They had not been rented and left like that, they were simply vandalized, I think in part because they were really in the way.

I do think people riding them are part of the problem, but it's not only that.  

I have never seen abused DB or MVV bikes. Not sure why. I know several people who use them all the time and find them great, so it can be successful, at least in theory.

On 6/18/2019, 9:04:38, Krieg said:

So, scooters are now legal in Germany.   But they need to have an approval, so if you plan to buy one, make sure you get one which already got such approval.   Right now you might see tons of deals everywhere, supermarkets, electronic stores, etc, you might guess why they are so cheap, yes, those do not have the approval.

The rules:

- Max 20 km/h

- Not allowed on pedestrian path.  

- Ride only on the bicycle path and if there is none then on the road

- Indicate with your hand when turning

- Same safety requirements as a bicycle: brakes, lights, bell, etc.

- You have to buy an insurance similar to mopeds.  It is a sticker. 19€ per year if you are at least 23 years old. 29€ if younger.  Minimum age is 14 years old.

- No drivers license and no helmet required.

- If the "All vehicles" sign is present (Red Circle) then you have to push the scooter and can't use any assistance

- There is a new sign called "small electric vehicle free", which is an e-scooter, and it will be used to make exceptions.  i.e. allow e-scooters on pedestrian paths

And about models. the beloved Xiaomi scooters will be sold in Saturn/Mediamarkt under the name "ICONBIT", the extremely popular Xiaomi M365 will be the ICONBIT IK-1969K which a price at the time of this post of 480€:

https://www.saturn.de/de/product/_iconbit-ik-1969k-city-2559238.html?ga_query=ICONBIT+IK-1969K

There is as well this other model a bit cheaper, I am still not sure which is the real made and model.  The battery is smaller, so probably not worth considering the price of the one above:

https://www.saturn.de/de/product/_iconbit-ik-1971k-delta-pro-2559239.html?rbtc=aff|con|432063||||&subid=190618210169o727391

But the delivery dates are from September.  So too late for this summer, which is a shame.

P.S. You have to be really careful. For example Saturn has as well the Xiaomi M365 version EU (with the original Xiaomi branding), but without the approval.  And the price is 444€.  Totally not a good idea to buy one.

Very very useful information. Just curious, if someone else manage to find any scooter model which is approved for driving on public streets in Germany?

On 7/24/2019, 2:09:59, researcher_new said:

Very very useful information. Just curious, if someone else manage to find any scooter model which is approved for driving on public streets in Germany?

In my opinion the best option is the rebranded Xiaomis that Saturn and Mediamarkt will start delivering the 1st of September.  They are street legal and go for around 400 EUR.

Do not confuse them with the ones branded as Xiaomis they are trying to get rid of right now, those are not street legal.

11 minutes ago, Ducktails said:

Here's a helpful side with rules for riding e-scooters in Germany:  https://www.punkte-flensburg.de/e-scooter/#bussgeldtabelle-allgemeine-verstoesse-mit-dem-e-scooter
But the ones that are most important are that you're aren't allowed to use one e-scooter for more than one person and to drive without an identification number (at least it's still Germany hahah)

+++ The alcohol limit for e-scooters is 0 Promille.   

3 minutes ago, Krieg said:

+++ The alcohol limit for e-scooters is 0 Promille.   

no...

Just now, snowingagain said:

only for new drivers and under 21s otherwide .5?

Yes.

3 minutes ago, franklan said:

no...

My bad, 0 Promille only for under 21 y/o or during Probezeit.   Which Probezeit?  I thought you do not need a license.   So if you get a license then it applies?  That's confusing.

18 hours ago, Krieg said:

My bad, 0 Promille only for under 21 y/o or during Probezeit.   Which Probezeit?  I thought you do not need a license.   So if you get a license then it applies?  That's confusing.

There are vehicles that do not need a DL to operate them. Like a bicycle or an e-scooter.

However, if you have a DL and participate in road traffic, you still can loose your DL on these vehicles, e.g. being hammered on an e-bike or by doing 30km/h on a bicycle in a pedestrian zone. 

TPTB simply argue that comitting this shows that you do not have the right mindset to operate real vehicles, and you need a kick in the arse to corrrect that mindset...