Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does anybody know an rules for riding E-Scooters in Germany??

31 posts in this topic

I'm in favor of it, but I hope they regulate the sharing companies a little better than in the US.  In a lot of cities, there are literally piles of them everywhere.

There was a new minor information about this on the radio yesterday, it was about the age for its use.   It seems it won't be treated exactly the same as bicycles, they want to avoid small kids from using them.    There were even pushes to classify them at the same level as Mofas therefore the minimum age would be 15, but most probably the limit would be 12 years old.

There was a new law passed the other day that said e scooters are now allowed on bike paths and the road. I don't know any more details but I think it was just for Munich. 

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

There was a new law passed the other day that said e scooters are now allowed on bike paths and the road. I don't know any more details but I think it was just for Munich. 

Further to that, I read in many newspapers ( sueddeutsche, AZ etc) , that

from 12 yo at very low speed 6kph

from 14 yo to 15 kph

after 20kph you have to wear a helmet

All the new newspaper articles, do not talk about, proper brakes, insurance, lights, number plates or anything and there will be another series of votes in the sommer on it, sounds as complex as BREXIT

So, scooters are now legal in Germany.   But they need to have an approval, so if you plan to buy one, make sure you get one which already got such approval.   Right now you might see tons of deals everywhere, supermarkets, electronic stores, etc, you might guess why they are so cheap, yes, those do not have the approval.

The rules:

- Max 20 km/h

- Not allowed on pedestrian path.  

- Ride only on the bicycle path and if there is none then on the road

- Indicate with your hand when turning

- Same safety requirements as a bicycle: brakes, lights, bell, etc.

- You have to buy an insurance similar to mopeds.  It is a sticker. 19€ per year if you are at least 23 years old. 29€ if younger.  Minimum age is 14 years old.

- No drivers license and no helmet required.

- If the "All vehicles" sign is present (Red Circle) then you have to push the scooter and can't use any assistance

- There is a new sign called "small electric vehicle free", which is an e-scooter, and it will be used to make exceptions.  i.e. allow e-scooters on pedestrian paths

And about models. the beloved Xiaomi scooters will be sold in Saturn/Mediamarkt under the name "ICONBIT", the extremely popular Xiaomi M365 will be the ICONBIT IK-1969K which a price at the time of this post of 480€:

https://www.saturn.de/de/product/_iconbit-ik-1969k-city-2559238.html?ga_query=ICONBIT+IK-1969K

There is as well this other model a bit cheaper, I am still not sure which is the real made and model.  The battery is smaller, so probably not worth considering the price of the one above:

https://www.saturn.de/de/product/_iconbit-ik-1971k-delta-pro-2559239.html?rbtc=aff|con|432063||||&subid=190618210169o727391

But the delivery dates are from September.  So too late for this summer, which is a shame.

P.S. You have to be really careful. For example Saturn has as well the Xiaomi M365 version EU (with the original Xiaomi branding), but without the approval.  And the price is 444€.  Totally not a good idea to buy one.

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

you might guess why they are so cheap, yes, those do not have the approval.

Sorry, I don't fully understand.  Is the approval only that they don't go > 20km/h or is there another standard that's required to be met, and if so, how are we going to know if our model x that we're thinking of getting is allowed or not?  

That aside, are we expecting the police to really be on top of what models are allowed, carrying a list or something of the sort, at all times with them?  only half-joking with the second question.  

1 hour ago, shockedpenguin said:

Sorry, I don't fully understand.  Is the approval only that they don't go > 20km/h or is there another standard that's required to be met, and if so, how are we going to know if our model x that we're thinking of getting is allowed or not? 

The make and model has to get certified (by TÜV?).  So buying one that "fulfill the requirements" is not enough.

You have to know when you buy if it is street legal one.   I assume it will have some sticker on the box or something and maybe you will receive a COC (Certificate Of Conformity) or ABE.   Online in the Saturn page you can see in each model if it is legal or not.

That aside, are we expecting the police to really be on top of what models are allowed,

In radio I heard that the Police in Berlin said that they do not have time to do detailed controls on every new scooter on the street.  But you have to consider that from the legal point of view they are now vehicules, so you will be breaking the StVO (road laws) if you do not follow the rules and this might affect your drivers license.

carrying a list or something of the sort, at all times with them?  only half-joking with the second question.  

I still do not know the details, but if it is like with a moped/mofa, you will need the COC when you buy the insurance, then you get the plate (which in this case is a sticker).  Everything the Police has to do to know if your scooter is street legal is checking if you have a plate for the current year or not.

3 minutes ago, Krieg said:

In radio I heard that the Police in Berlin said that they do not have time to do detailed controls on every new scooter on the street.  But you have to consider that from the legal point of view they are now vehicules, so you will be breaking the StVO (road laws) if you do not follow the rules and this might affect your drivers license.

I still do not know the details, but if it is like with a moped/mofa, you will need the COC when you buy the insurance, then you get the plate (which in this case is a sticker).  Everything the Police has to do to know if your scooter is street legal is checking if you have a plate for the current year or not.

The police might not have the time, but I've seen the Ordnungsamt set up random bicycle inspections. I wouldn't be surprised if they started ticketing scooters without the sticker.

12 minutes ago, engelchen said:

The police might not have the time, but I've seen the Ordnungsamt set up random bicycle inspections. I wouldn't be surprised if they started ticketing scooters without the sticker.

If people are caught riding scooter models that aren't street legal, I wouldn't be surprised if they were confiscated on the spot.

9 hours ago, engelchen said:

I've seen the Ordnungsamt set up random bicycle inspections

Do they check the tread depth or something?  My mind is blown.  

9 hours ago, Krieg said:

so you will be breaking the StVO (road laws) if you do not follow the rules and this might affect your drivers license.

I just finished a course for neglectful drivers and the teacher hammered into our heads the only important thing regarding tickets--whether it costs over 60€ or not.  If any tickets are <60€, it won't affect your license except in rare cases where they catch you for the same offense 20+ times.  If it's >60€, it's a point on your driver's license.  So.. does anyone know how much the fine costs?  

Helpful tip: riding a bicycle with a cell phone costs <60€ (though not so with a car).  Running a red with your bike will score you a point, and costs >60€.  

8 hours ago, shockedpenguin said:

Do they check the tread depth or something?  My mind is blown.  

I just finished a course for neglectful drivers and the teacher hammered into our heads the only important thing regarding tickets--whether it costs over 60€ or not.  If any tickets are <60€, it won't affect your license except in rare cases where they catch you for the same offense 20+ times.  If it's >60€, it's a point on your driver's license.  So.. does anyone know how much the fine costs? 

Riding a non-approved e-scooter is 70€ and 1 point.  The e-scooter will be confiscated.

Riding a e-scooter without the insurance plate is the same as driving a vehicle without driving license and driving a vehicle with no insurance.

There is already a Bußgeldkatalog for e-scooters.