Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does anybody know an rules for riding E-Scooters in Germany??

31 posts in this topic

Was thinking of getting an Electric scooter, for zipping round Munich..

But then thought, I bet a German City like Munich would have rules that need to be followed !

Anybody know anything about it, like can you ride on cycle lanes etc, are lights required, any maximum speeds are you aloud to ride on the street,

You might want to define "electric scooter" better.   Because there are many types and everyone is different.

The ones standing up are illegal, but there are discussions at the moment to make them legal this year, probably  before the summer.   It is not clear yet what the conditions will be, i.e. allowed on the pedestrian paths or not, max speed, etc.   You really do not want to use one yet, just this week here in Berlin the Police has been chasing the few of them you can see around, I heard in the radio the fine is close to 200 EUR and confiscation of the scooter at least until the summer.

I mean this kinda thing

Capture.JPG.af82444a7a240ae5d0e0a000f7ea

IF you google search e scooter, you get pictures like this, that's why I called it an e scooter.

Its NOT an e roller, or hoverboard or powered skate board

thanks for the info, I did not know it is so forbidden here.

I was watching people ( well big kids )  using them in my local park - I guess that's its not allowed there either.

Or maybe you get bigger bill's if you cause an accident.

Anything that moves without pushing into the pedals is considered a motor vehicle at the moment.

So, operating these critters that move with a twist of the right hand is illegal when they are not insured.

Things might change this year, though.

@Franklan thanks!!!

just to get my head in the right direction 

if I buy a normal scooter ie without an electric motor then everything is ok because its not powered ?

what if I use my electric e scooter as a scooter, which means just push it, with my foot, is that then  ok, because I am  not using the e motor ?

I thought my haftpflichtversicherung, would cover the insurance issues with either method, ie just push my e scooter as a normal scooter ( no use of e motor ) or using an e motor scooter, with the electric motor on.

sorry maybe to detailed, maybe I should chat to my haftpflichtversicherung company.

33 minutes ago, yesterday said:

what if I use my electric e scooter as a scooter, which means just push it, with my foot, is that then  ok, because I am  not using the e motor ?

You mean like buying a diesel car and you push it to a supermarket instead of starting the engine?

You should definitely talk to your insurance company.  You can order all sorts of things on the internet but some are actually not allowed to be used on public paths / streets.  If you want something street legal with a motor, you can get an e-bike.  The motor should only run when you are pedaling and it should only go up to 25 km/h.  Or get a scooter but without a motor.

Seems like the law is going to change... But, being Germany they are set to make it nice and complicated and suck all the fun out of them things.

You will probably need some form of a license, you will get a number plate, or a number sticker, it will have to be insured. You won´t be able to use it on footpaths or roads but only on bicycle paths.

For the moment though they are still pretty much Verboten.

12 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

You mean like buying a diesel car and you push it to a supermarket instead of starting the engine?

You would have  to have the strength of  Chewbacca  tto push a diesel car ! An e scooter can be used without the e motor!!

Like use common sense not the force !!

Why can people use e bikes on the streets / bike lanes but not e scooters ?

Oh, I heard on the wireless this afternoon that you will not be able to buy any old e-scooter. It must have a TÜV Plakette and a CE mark, so any scooter bought now in anticipation of a new law will probably not be allowed on the road when and if the law passes.

4 hours ago, yesterday said:

Why can people use e bikes on the streets / bike lanes but not e scooters ?

I think it is because they haven't classified them yet.  Currently, e-bikes where the motor only kicks in when you pedal and can only go as fast as 25 km/h are classifieds as bikes which means you can ride them where you normally ride a bike and don't need insurance or plates.  A bike where the motor runs without you having to pedal would be classified as a motorized bike, and you will need insurance and may not ride on bike paths.  To ride one, you also need to be old enough and have the proper license.  So where e-scooters fit in, they simply haven't decided yet.

3 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I think it is because they haven't classified them yet.  Currently, e-bikes where the motor only kicks in when you pedal and can only go as fast as 25 km/h are classifieds as bikes which means you can ride them where you normally ride a bike and don't need insurance or plates.

E-bikes that enable you to as fast as 40km/h are not allowed on bicycle path and need an insurance (also license plate?)

Just read, that e-scooters are not allowed on pedestrian paths in France.

8 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

E-bikes that enable you to as fast as 40km/h are not allowed on bicycle path and need an insurance (also license plate?)

Just read, that e-scooters are not allowed on pedestrian paths in France.

According to  https://www.e-bikeinfo.de/recht/gesetzliche-vorschriften-e-bikes-pedelecs  an e-bike that can go faster than 25 km/h and up to 45 km/h needs insurance and a license plate and you need a helmet.  

I'm wondering why they keep pushing these e-scooters in Saturn/Mediamarkt if they are illegal to use on the street?

I've used these alot in Lisbon and they are awesome. Top speed was 25km/h

There were some news on the radio yesterday about this.  In short, things do not look good, yet.    The initial idea of letting them drive in the pathways was definitely rejected because of the speed they can reach and the potential danger to the pedestrians.   The only way would be to treat them the same as bicycles and allow them only in bicycle paths and on the road, but then there was big objection to this because of the danger to themselves riding along cars and the potential lag they will introduce to current traffic.   So there is no solution yet, the idea is still to have them legal during the summer, but it does not look promising.

yeah, I heard a similar report on the radio last night aswell, but the reporter said the most likely out come was that e-scooters would be classed as bicycle's - which ( I guess ) means no TUV, insurance or number plates etc  I am not sure about the requirements for 'real' brakes or lights  

1 hour ago, Adem137 said:

I'm wondering why they keep pushing these e-bikes in Saturn/Mediamarkt if they are illegal to use on the street?

I've used these alot in Lisbon and they are awesome. Top speed was 25km/h

It's not against the law to sell them. It's up to you to know they are not street legal and you can only use them on private property.