Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Best options for new central heating system

26 posts in this topic

@SpiderPig, I have a pelletofen and love the thing.  It is on the ground floor and it heats the upper level as well.  It is not noisy at all.  The only noise comes from the heating itself and is quiet.  Aye, it does make a wee noise when it fills itself again.  But nothing troublesome.  All three floors are open here.  I have only one door to the WC and the bedroom is in the cellar, directly under the shop.  I did leave the stove on one night and I'm more than sure the thing filled itself once or twice.  I heard nothing and I am a light sleeper.

I had it installed in February and bought 500kg of pellets.  I think I've used about 100kg since it was installed, maybe 150.  The remainder is in the storage room in the cellar for later this year.  I paid about 125€ for the 500kg.  Here in the Allgäu, lots of people and businesses have either wood stoves or the pellets.  The Pellet ovens cost more, but are more energy efficient and in the long run, you'll not only save money on the heating cost, but less rubbish that wood brings.

Excellent... Thanks..

As mine will have the "Water Jacket", then I assume that I may use more pellets, or it could even be that as I am heating the rest of the place with radiators, the pre-set  temp of the place is reached earlier ... so less pellet usage!

Interim update...

Talked to my Chimney sweep pal last night and he pointed out that for every KW of heat, you need 55ltr of water sored in a puffer speicher ( Cistern)

So, an 18kw Pelletofen usually dedicates 6 kw to heating the air... which leaves 13KW for hot water and for that a cistern of at least 720ltr capacity is required... 

As I dont have any cistern and the layout of the farm is a bit strange... it could get quite costly to add pellet central heating.. 

:wacko:

Having the room isnt a problem... beleive me!!   

The problem is finding a suitable place to install it and get the pipes layed without it being a hazard... 

I will be getting a few different oppinions before deciding...