26 posts in this topic

Whenever I go to blighty, I do a little shopping for things that are either not available or too expensive over here. Well , Monday night I packed the car so we can leave nice and early for the 8.00am ferry homeward bound. Locked the daughter's house, where we were staying, and dropped the keys in through the letter box. Getting into the car I realised I left my jacket inside FFS. Both daughter's and husband's phones switched off so decided to leave it till the next time. Got home and got a phone call from daughter - I left our shopping in the garage. Double FFS. So that too will be left till next time unless some good samaritan happens to be traveling by car, this direction.

Bad luck rodisi. 

Purely out of interest, what is it that TTers find unavailable or too expensive here?  My list starts with Strongbow, although I suspect she who must be obeyed has other priorities.

@starkebogen

Marmite-available/very expensive

English Mustard-available/very expensive

Sarsons Vinegar

Cider Vinegar

Self Raising Flour

Knorr Fish, Pork, Chicken, Beef, Lamb, Ham and Vegetable stock cubes. 

Oxo cubes

Branston Pickle

Piccalilli

Crumpets

Easter eggs

Xmas Crackers

Pork Scratchings

Digestive Biscuits

Cheddar Cheese-limited availabilty, quality?

Biscuits fot Cheese

Port-availability limited/expensive

Sherry-availability limited/expensive

Stones/Grabbies Ginger wine

Single Malt Whisky-availability limited/expensive

Salt & Shake crisps

Prawn flavoured Skips

Quavers

Bramley Cooking Apples

Green/Spring Greens

Marrow

Frozen Pancakes for Peking Duck

Tilda Basmati Rice -available/very expensive

Egyptian Cotton Quilt cover & Sheets etc 400-800 Thread count.

That's just a few things.

@rodisi as SP mentioned where in UK, I'm due to go again shortly but haven't fixed a date yet.

9 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Self Raising Flour

Available in Asian markets.  Probably expensive compared to UK.

9 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Knorr Fish, Pork, Chicken, Beef, Lamb, Ham and Vegetable stock cubes. 

Again, available in Asian markets.   Except the Ham.

Apart from the Knorr brand, Go Asia has as well powdered fish, chicken, beef, lamb and veggie stock for about 5 EUR for 1 KG.  Pretty affordable if you use a lot and want to try other brand.

1 minute ago, Krieg said:

Again, available in Asian markets.   Except the Ham.

Apart from the Knorr brand, Go Asia has as well powdered fish, chicken, beef, lamb and veggie stock for about 5 EUR for 1 KG.  Pretty affordable if you use a lot and want to try other brand.

Krieg, it's not about availability it's about the end flavour and ingredients with many German products like Maggi, Knorr etc adding flavour enhancers like MSG in its various forms.

I haven't bought the German equivalent for years ever since my German neighbour pointed out the additives used here, I even get his Beef and Chicken stock cubes from UK.

As for Go Asia selling powders for €5 a kilo, go read the list of ingredients, why do you think it's so cheap?

3 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

As for Go Asia selling powders for €5 a kilo, go read the list of ingredients, why do you think it's so cheap?

Because it is a brand which spend no money in marketing and because most of expenses of a product go into packaging and logistics, that's why a 500ml bottle of a product cost more than half the price of a 1000ml.   However, some companies might decide to sell the 500ml bottle for exactly half the price of the 1000ml and then profit much more on the big bottle.   Germany is actually pretty weird in this, you can see everything, you can find the 500ml of a product sold for the same price as the 1000ml, and you can find that buying the giant 10l container costs actually more than buying 10x 1l ones (buying bulk might be actually more expensive).

Bottom line, it is not always about the quality of the product.    And then we are discussing chicken stock, the only thing you really have to take in consideration is the ratio of salt, because some cheap ones have actually just plenty of salt.    If you care enough about quality you would be doing your own stock.

P.S., However I can totally understand someone preferring the home version of the same product instead of the local one, but as a matter of taste.

Is there a thread about how to make those  things you miss?

I've got pretty good at making pickled onions,pies,  hot-cross buns and crumpets now,

Next on my list is making a Branston pickle substitute and some decent pork pies.

Not  prepared to raise and slaughter pigs to get hold of decent bacon rashers though.

23 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Where in the UK?

12 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

as SP mentioned where in UK, I'm due to go again shortly but haven't fixed a date yet.

Near Maidstone in Kent, which is on the M20 on the way to Dover.

@Sir Percy B that's not too dissimilar to my shopping list when I was back last week...except, you forgot tea and Twiglets (we also bulk buy Weetabix, as it's way cheaper, and comes in proper sized boxes, rather than the poxy 24 ones which don't even last three days in this household).  

Annoyingly, the pork scratchings I bought were already past their best before date when I got back here. Obviously, I ate them all anyway, but it would have been nice to space the packets out over a period of weeks, rather than hours.

One other thing from the UK supermarkets is medicines. Packets of paracetamol and ibruprofen for under 30 pence (you have to spread the purchases out over a few days though).

14 hours ago, starkebogen said:

Bad luck rodisi. 

Purely out of interest, what is it that TTers find unavailable or too expensive here?  My list starts with Strongbow, although I suspect she who must be obeyed has other priorities.

My list, fortunately is way less than Sir Percy's. From his list, I have marmite and basmati rice, peanut butter, black beans, oat meal, dates and Egyptian molasses, sponge pudding and ginger nut biscuits.

8 minutes ago, dstanners said:

@Sir Percy B that's not too dissimilar to my shopping list when I was back last week...except, you forgot tea and Twiglets (we also bulk buy Weetabix, as it's way cheaper, and comes in proper sized boxes, rather than the poxy 24 ones which don't even last three days in this household).  

Annoyingly, the pork scratchings I bought were already past their best before date when I got back here. Obviously, I ate them all anyway, but it would have been nice to space the packets out over a period of weeks, rather than hours.

One other thing from the UK supermarkets is medicines. Packets of paracetamol and ibruprofen for under 30 pence (you have to spread the purchases out over a few days though).

Yes, I forgot tea, paracetamol and Rennies.

BTW, this thread is for anyone with a FFS, not just for my problem.

Plus ribena, galaxy caramel, mint aero (the majority of my list is chocolate based), paxo, medicines, bacon, Lincolnshire sausages.  I got back from a trip earlier this week so am currently well stocked :D

Well for us it's:

Pork Pies, not really Melton Mowbray Pork Pies from Dickinson and Morris because they're for the tourists.

I sometimes have a craving for a Ginsters cornish pasty. Sad I know.

Proper Pickle like Branstons,

Paracetamol and Aspirin

Everything else I can think of I can get here or have found a substitute for.

1 hour ago, dstanners said:

Yep, forgot that, Lemsip and Gaviscon. 

I once ordered a 600ml bottle of Gaviscon from my local Apotheke, it took 2 days and cost €26.00, quite a difference to the £9.00 I pay in the UK.

@Rodisi, I'm not sure what my plans are yet but if I use the Tunnel I will let you know.

I gave up long ago buying Teabags from the UK when I compared them to the price of Coffee. For €9.00 I get a box of 240 T-Bags, you can't get 240 cups of coffee from a Kilo of Coffee Beans costing upwards of €12.00.

@evildudette Had you said sausage meat I would agree but sausage rolls, never, making your own are so much better and mince pork is all you need and an imagination as to what herbs and spices you can add.

I'll second peanut butter, oatcakes, and big bags of Alpen Müsli, and  summer lighting beer.

Nobody mentioned Worcestershire Sauce :).

PS- peanut butter you can buy on your way through the Netherlands if you happen to take that route. The brand is Calvé Pindakaas.