Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is there a way to cancel automatically renewed DB bahncard?

10 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I bought a bahncard for 70 Euro since I am younger that 27 (I was 26) and then they sent me a letter that they will renew it for 260 Euro at the end of the year but since I don't know German I didn't understand it I supposed it is a kind of advertisement for the new year. I called the DB the guy said maybe there could cancel it but I need to mail them but after my mail they didnt want to cancel it. I dont need this card and as a PhD student 260 euro is so much. Do you know anything  what can I do in that position is there a way to cancel it? I know I had the contract but I wasnt aware of the fact it will renew because of the language issue. 

Tough. I have a DB 25 and is renewed automatically as well. I can cancel it, but need to do this 6 weeks before the renewal, not after it. If you don't know German very well, you shouldn't sign contracts is my advice.

Just send them a letter with the Card number, date and name, or just copy and fill in the details below:

BahnCard-Service

60643 Frankfurt

Meine BahnCard 24 Nummer .

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

Hiermit kündige ich frist- und formgerecht meine BahnCard 25, welche gültig bis Ende Dezember ist.

Ich bitten um Bestätigung dieses Schreibens.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Don't forget to cancel any insurance you have with it. This has to be done seperately.

This will make sure it is not extended again next year.  In the mean time take as much advantage of the deal that you can to offset the price a bit.  50 percent off regular fares and 25 percent off Sparpreis is cool.

19 hours ago, French bean said:

Just send them a letter with the Card number, date and name, or just copy and fill in the details below:

BahnCard-Service

60643 Frankfurt

Meine BahnCard 24 Nummer .

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

Hiermit kündige ich frist- und formgerecht meine BahnCard 25, welche gültig bis Ende Dezember ist.

Ich bitten um Bestätigung dieses Schreibens.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Don't forget to cancel any insurance you have with it. This has to be done seperately.

Which kind of insurance do you mean ? I just applied for the card before.

21 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Tough. I have a DB 25 and is renewed automatically as well. I can cancel it, but need to do this 6 weeks before the renewal, not after it. If you don't know German very well, you shouldn't sign contracts is my advice.

Happened to me as well. I contacted DB before the new contract started, but they told me too late.

I must say this automatic renewal is really unreasonable, and Germans are just too tolerant.

You need to check whether you took out insurance against card loss or cancelled tickets.

Also against delayed journey that entitles you to accommodation or purchasing a replacement ticket.