Living on canned food long-term

78 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, franklan said:

Jesus H. Christ, you want to discuss chemicals but don't smell the rat when  "dihydrogenmonoxide" is mentioned? 

To be fair, he/she probably thought it was hydroloxic acid  ;)

just remember:  always rinse off the lid of the tin before you open it. there can be some nasty shit on lid.

Got too tired of this thread.  Just absorb critical information that could help you, then move on, turn the page!

3 minutes ago, tor said:

just remember:  always rinse off the lid of the tin before you open it. there can be some nasty shit on lid.

That goes for canned drinks as well - beer, sodas, etc. Lots of rats, etc. in warehouses.

On 5/1/2019, 12:43:38, SmurfLee said:

There would not be toxic effect, but would long term consumption of canned food an unhealthy habit?

My fam doc says I should eat more meat, fish, chicken...

I think fish is most acceptable to me, and it is very convenient to eat canned fish.

But I am worrying about preservatives.

On internet it is said that the reason canned food can have 2 years of life time is that the bacteria is killed and it is air tight sealed.

But I still have some doubt. Nothing can be done so perfectly, is life span of 2 years in room temp really possible without any preservatives?

As long as the can is not bulging or sucked in you are good. Look at the sodium levels in it though. 

I still dream of getting canned pumpkin for a decent price.

This is not meant to spark a discussion of how to chop, bake, scoop, and blend a hokaido pumpkin. It ain't the same.

4 minutes ago, tor said:

I still dream of getting canned pumpkin for a decent price.

This is not meant to spark a discussion of how to chop, bake, scoop, and blend a hokaido pumpkin. It ain't the same.

True, canned food tastes and smells differently.

I had canned Schwein yesterday. It smelled so good, but it did not taste as good. I tent to feel there is some artificial flavor to make it smell so good.  

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Do you mean like this?

5 bucks a can plus shipping :/

Order 2 or something else on your wish list to get the free shipping. B) That's what I do. (I have Prime in the U.S.) I don't think that 5 bucks is out of this world for a homemade pumpkin pie. Mmmmmmmm...

3 hours ago, tor said:

like rodents in the store!

4 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

I had canned Schwein yesterday. It smelled so good, but it did not taste as good. I tent to feel there is some artificial flavor to make it smell so good.  

To be honest tinned pork sounds just nasty. To eat it is an existance not a life.

Why do you not go to a proper butcher (not the supermarket counter) and buy a nice small chicken. Put it whole in a saucepan that fits it snuggly, just cover it with cold water, add some carrots, onion, celery, peppercorns. Bring the water to the boil, skim off any grey gloop, put the saucepan lid on, switch off the heat and leave it for 45 mins. Done. Healthy. Low fat. Clean flavours. No preservatives. Keeps for 5 days in the fridge if well wrapped. You can use the stock to make yummy no effort accompanyments like couscous with fresh parsley and coriander. Greek yougurt with cucumber is also a nice accompanyment. 

Tinned items I keep in the cupboard:

No added salt plum tomatoes

Tuna

Sardines

kidney beans

Chickpeas

(rinse and drain last two items)

Black olives- rinse and drain

I have almost the same in can, except I buy my fresh black Kalamata olives from my local Greek store. I also have these small cans of highly concentrated tomato purée on stock together with baked beans and large white beans. Oh, and a can of pineapple. No idea why I bought that.

Don't know about anybody else on here, but living on only canned food for any length of time would drive me insane!

Whilst I freely admit to using tinned tomatoes and chickpeas, for the most part I prefer to buy fresh and make meals myself as often as possible.

At the end of the day, there are almost certainly "additives" in just about every food item we buy - either from the preserving process, the environment, or from whatever we acally do with it.

The best solution, in my opinion, is to get a well-balanced diet, and stick to some sort of fitness regime.

13 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

To be honest tinned pork sounds just nasty. To eat it is an existance not a life.

Why do you not go to a proper butcher (not the supermarket counter) and buy a nice small chicken. Put it whole in a saucepan that fits it snuggly, just cover it with cold water, add some carrots, onion, celery, peppercorns. Bring the water to the boil, skim off any grey gloop, put the saucepan lid on, switch off the heat and leave it for 45 mins. Done. Healthy. Low fat. Clean flavours. No preservatives. Keeps for 5 days in the fridge if well wrapped. You can use the stock to make yummy no effort accompanyments like couscous with fresh parsley and coriander. Greek yougurt with cucumber is also a nice accompanyment. 

Sounds like an expert chef  :)

12 hours ago, robinson100 said:

Don't know about anybody else on here, but living on only canned food for any length of time would drive me insane!

Whilst I freely admit to using tinned tomatoes and chickpeas, for the most part I prefer to buy fresh and make meals myself as often as possible.

At the end of the day, there are almost certainly "additives" in just about every food item we buy - either from the preserving process, the environment, or from whatever we acally do with it.

The best solution, in my opinion, is to get a well-balanced diet, and stick to some sort of fitness regime.

Totally agree.

I had one tinned pork and one tinned fish last weekend, and felt so fed up. No more tinned food.

The pork tasted a bit strange, a bit gone bad kind.

Luckily I do not need them any more. I went to newly open (actually a while ago, but never went there before) Asian store on Sat. and bought one pack of tofu. I really cannot complain. It tasted real fine. I am going to buy 7 packs every Sat.