Living on canned food long-term

73 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

I do not think pickles would have preservatives [..]

Ahemmmm...

Actually, the salted vinegar that pickles the pickled vegetable is the preservative ...

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm not Korean and I didn't say it was unhealthy. I simple prefer fresh, thanks.

It is not suggestion to you to eat pickled food. Fresh has its advantages of course, richer vitamin.

I was only stating a fact.

2 minutes ago, franklan said:

Ahemmmm...

Actually, the salted vinegar that pickles the pickled vegetable is the preservative ...

By preservatives, we usually mean chemical, like somethings with SO4 (2-) ions if I remember correctly.

9 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

By preservatives, we usually mean chemical, like somethings with SO4 (2-) ions if I remember correctly.

Who is "we"?

What do you mean by preservative chemicals? Stuff like C2H4O2, Na+Cl- and/or dihydrogenmonoxide?

Just now, franklan said:

Who is "we"?

What do you mean by preservative chemicals? Stuff like C2H4O2, Na+Cl- and/or dihydrogenmonoxide?

It means general population.

For instance, orange juice box says "no preservatives", by default, it means the chemicals you listed or some chemical similar in the same line. No one woudl think about salt vinagar, ....

17 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

For instance, orange juice box says "no preservatives",

But independent laboratories still can prove that it contains C4H6O5 + C6H8O7 and a smidge of C7H6O3...

Basically, all industrial orange juice contains those chemicals...

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

I do not think pickles would have preservatives, because they are supposed to be fermented by somethings that could be killed by preservatives.

Did you not read my post -  Preserving the vegetables?!!

Using brine/salted solution- this is the preservative. Used for centuries.

13 minutes ago, franklan said:

But independent laboratories still can prove that it contains C4H6O5 + C6H8O7 and a smidge of C7H6O3...

Basically, all industrial orange juice contains those chemicals...

Yes, that is what I was told, and also that as long as the amount is under certain level, it is still allowed.

4 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Did you not read my post -  Preserving the vegetables?!!

Using brine/salted solution- this is the preservative. Used for centuries.

We heat up space in affinity with bonfire. When we talk about heater, does it include bonfire logs?

Just now, SmurfLee said:

We heat up space in affinity with bonfire. When we talk about heater, does it include bonfire logs?

WTF?:huh:

1 minute ago, RedMidge said:

WTF?:huh:

Hahahaha...

It means that a means to heat up a space is not necessarily called heater.

Something that can preserve food is not necessarily called preservative.

On 2.5.2019, 14:22:19, SmurfLee said:

it means the chemicals you listed or some chemical similar in the same line. No one woudl think about salt vinagar, ...

Concerning vinegar, the chemicals I listed were  C2H4O2, Na+Cl- and dihydrogenmonoxide, which is Acetic_acid, table salt and water. Vinegar!

On 2.5.2019, 14:56:42, SmurfLee said:

Yes, that is what I was told, and also that as long as the amount is under certain level, it is still allowed.

Concerning Orange juice, the chemicals I mentioned were  C4H6O5, C6H8O7 and C7H6O3, which is malic acid, citric acid and salicylic acid, the three (fruit) acids that basically are the taste of orange juice. Orange juice!

Jesus H. Christ, you want to discuss chemicals but don't smell the rat when  "dihydrogenmonoxide" is mentioned? 

27 minutes ago, franklan said:

Jesus H. Christ, you want to discuss chemicals but don't smell the rat when  "dihydrogenmonoxide" is mentioned? 

To be fair, he/she probably thought it was hydroloxic acid  ;)

just remember:  always rinse off the lid of the tin before you open it. there can be some nasty shit on lid.

Got too tired of this thread.  Just absorb critical information that could help you, then move on, turn the page!

3 minutes ago, tor said:

just remember:  always rinse off the lid of the tin before you open it. there can be some nasty shit on lid.

That goes for canned drinks as well - beer, sodas, etc. Lots of rats, etc. in warehouses.

On 5/1/2019, 12:43:38, SmurfLee said:

There would not be toxic effect, but would long term consumption of canned food an unhealthy habit?

My fam doc says I should eat more meat, fish, chicken...

I think fish is most acceptable to me, and it is very convenient to eat canned fish.

But I am worrying about preservatives.

On internet it is said that the reason canned food can have 2 years of life time is that the bacteria is killed and it is air tight sealed.

But I still have some doubt. Nothing can be done so perfectly, is life span of 2 years in room temp really possible without any preservatives?

As long as the can is not bulging or sucked in you are good. Look at the sodium levels in it though.