Living on canned food long-term

73 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

I tend to believe preservatives are not listed in ingredients.

I am sure ketchup has preservatives, but this is not listed as ingredients.

I remember in US, orange juices has comments on the box "no preservatives", and I was told, such thing does not mean absolutely no preservatives, but that the level of preservatives are under certain threshold.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

German rules (EU?) are stricter.

The press are all over manufacturers who falsely claim on labels.

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

Fray Bentos. 

Now that takes me back a while.

I get to 'enjoy' one of these pies when a yacht delivery starts in the UK. Then someone thinks we need these instead of cooking for ourselves.

I used to love Brains faggots.

As one who was served as a child a steady diet of canned green asparagus, canned peas, canned creamed corn, canned spinach, canned beef, spam, spam, spam and spam, all I can tell you is that the biggest danger is that it fucking turns you off canned foods forever.

Just a thought, if you are really bothered about preservatives in your food or additives or what else they might have why don't you just eat fresh? I buy fruit and veg from the market. We go to our Butcher who has to prove traceability for all his meat from the farm to his counter. If we buy tinned we check it's not from China and ideally from Western Europe because of issues with intensive farming and contaminated land. If we became that anal about it then we would grow our own.

Edit: The local store holders show country of origin for their products and state if it's grown locally or not. So for those with real first world issues they can massage their conscionce by knowing they are supporting local industry, the environmental footprint is low and they score lots of smarty points with the local Greens.

14 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I WISH I could get canned broccoli and cucumbers and LETTUCE, especially.

I mean wtf?  why not?

You can get cucumber in Glasses. Every German supermarket has tons of it.

You cannot get canned broccoli orLettuce for a simple reason: To make it last you either have to boil the *hit out if it or preserve it in salt or in vinegar. You cannot boil broccoli and lettuce long enough without it getting into pulp, and people are not keen on broccoli or lettuce that tastes like salty vinegar.

2 hours ago, French bean said:

His other favourite was Carnation tinned Milk. I haven't been near the stuff since. Do they still make it?

Isn't that just Kondensmilch, available in any supermarket, and Carnation is just a brand name?

2 minutes ago, franklan said:

Isn't that just Kondensmilch, available in any supermarket, and Carnation is just a brand name?

Correct, condensed milk. Hated it's sweet sickly taste.

17 minutes ago, French bean said:

Just a thought, if you are really bothered about preservatives in your food or additives or what else they might have why don't you just eat fresh? I buy fruit and veg from the market. We go to our Butcher who has to prove traceability for all his meat from the farm to his counter. If we buy tinned we check it's not from China and ideally from Western Europe because of issues with intensive farming and contaminated land. If we became that anal about it then we would grow our own.

Yes, so I always tried to eat fresh. No problem with fresh fruits and vegetables.

I have been almost vegetarian (ate meet only during parties, or conference meals), and I do not like to handle meat or fish in kitchen. And I found that it is so convenient to eat tinned fish.

I also ate quite a bit of pork in local Rewe which has middle east people selling doner and other food on the corner. They sell pork which was baked (?) for very long time, so that fat is quite out. Still, it is a bit too greasy to me, and they do not have it every time I went there, only occasionally.

Canned fish is always on the shelf, and I do like the taste. 

17 minutes ago, French bean said:

Edit: The local store holders show country of origin for their products and state if it's grown locally or not. So for those with real first world issues they can massage their conscionce by knowing they are supporting local industry, the environmental footprint is low and they score lots of smarty points with the local Greens.

You eat Kebabs from a street vendor and then you worry about the quality of food? Just how much do you think they paid for the meat? How do you know the animal wasn't intensively farmed, pumped full of Hormones and then killed inhumanely? Think you need to look at food production more before worrying about whether it's tinned or not.

32 minutes ago, franklan said:

You can get cucumber in Glasses. Every German supermarket has tons of it.

You cannot get canned broccoli orLettuce for a simple reason: To make it last you either have to boil the *hit out if it or preserve it in salt or in vinegar. You cannot boil broccoli and lettuce long enough without it getting into pulp, and people are not keen on broccoli or lettuce that tastes like salty vinegar.

franklan, it was a joke.  I can think of nothing more disgusting than canned vegetables (corn is the only one that is ok but frozen is still better if you can't go fresh)

and no you can't get cucumbers in glass, those are pickles.  somewhat different :)

8 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

and no you can't get cucumbers in glass, those are pickles.  somewhat different :)

Hmm, isn't "pickles" just a nickname for "pickled cucumber"? :-)

38 minutes ago, French bean said:

Correct, condensed milk. Hated it's sweet sickly taste.

Hold the horses, what the Germans call Kondensmilch is not what condensed milk is in English.

Kondensmilch is evaporated milk, Condensed milk is sweetened!

You can get Condensed milk in Germany in stores specialized in Russian food.

Ah, he had both, both were awful. I'm going back to the 70's and my memory is definately struggling.

Condensed milk in the UK is mostly sweetened, in Germany it isn't. 

1 minute ago, Tap said:

Condensed milk in the UK is mostly sweetened, in Germany it isn't. 

Essential ingredient for Banoffee Pie!

37 minutes ago, French bean said:

You eat Kebabs from a street vendor and then you worry about the quality of food? Just how much do you think they paid for the meat? How do you know the animal wasn't intensively farmed, pumped full of Hormones and then killed inhumanely? Think you need to look at food production more before worrying about whether it's tinned or not.

I never had any food from street vendor. I did not worry about other things, but they way they prepare food did not look like clean.

29 minutes ago, franklan said:

Hmm, isn't "pickles" just a nickname for "pickled cucumber"? :-)

maybe - there are a lot of different veg you can pickle.  you can actually pickle broccoli and cauliflower, beans, onions.  I think anything except lettuce (well you could pickle that too but it would be a slimy mess, I suspect)

I do of course understand that you meant pickled cucumber, but it's a specific preparation, not just simple, jarred or canned cucumber, which would be absolutely disgusting :D

Pickle is the method of preserving vegetables in brine/ salted solution.  From Dutch - pekel.

Cucumbers are the most widely known veggies used, but do not forget pickled onions, and my favourite- pickled walnuts!

Plus the variety of pickled veggies, beloved by so many Europeans.

3 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Pickle is the method of preserving vegetables in brine/ salted solution.  From Dutch - pekel.

Cucumbers are the most widely known veggies used, but do not forget pickled onions, and my favourite- pickled walnuts!

Plus the variety of pickled veggies, beloved by so many Europeans.

I do not think pickles would have preservatives, because they are supposed to be fermented by somethings that could be killed by preservatives.

Nothing quite like rocking up to a fresh salad buffet in Germany only to discover that half of the veggies are pickled. 

Just now, fraufruit said:

Nothing quite like rocking up to a fresh salad buffet in Germany only to discover that half of the veggies are pickled. 

Koreans eat a lot of pickled food, and it is not bad at all. It is probiotic food good for health.