Living on canned food long-term

73 posts in this topic

There would not be toxic effect, but would long term consumption of canned food an unhealthy habit?

My fam doc says I should eat more meat, fish, chicken...

I think fish is most acceptable to me, and it is very convenient to eat canned fish.

But I am worrying about preservatives.

On internet it is said that the reason canned food can have 2 years of life time is that the bacteria is killed and it is air tight sealed.

But I still have some doubt. Nothing can be done so perfectly, is life span of 2 years in room temp really possible without any preservatives?

It's healthier to eat fresh but canned food is perfectly ok for a few years as long as the can isn't damaged or leaking.  

On internet it is said that the reason canned food can have 2 years of life time is that the bacteria is killed and it is air tight sealed.

You have pretty much answered your own question, due to the food being subject to high temperatures, the bacteria is killed.

If you are worried about the tins, eat frozen fish, this is typically caught, filleted and frozen at sea within hours of being caught.

Incidentally, pretty much everything that we eat will be affecting by chemicals, pesticides and pollution, so take a big bite and enjoy.

But I am worrying about preservatives.

Then read for ingredients. 

The magic of science!

But I still have some doubt. Nothing can be done so perfectly, is life span of 2 years in room temp really possible without any preservatives?

Yes.

Honestly I'd be more worried about heavy metals, plastic and other environmental pollutants. I guess herring, sardines and other small ocean fish are not too concentrated. You should limit the amount of tuna you eat. I'm not a fan of 'farmed' fish/seafood, and would prefer frozen wild.

If you're low on iron, drink iron-fortified juice. If you're low on protein+associated vitamins, eat more nuts or occasional tofu/tempeh/etc. If you need B12, try marmite! Certain breakfast cereals (check the labels) are also often fortified with B12. 

You can also get fish preserved in oil in glass jars. It does not have to be a can.

the can preserves the nutrients better than any other method.  It's actually MORE nutritious than fresh

canned food for the win!

Actually, all fish has mercury - from oceans, lakes,etc. Doesn't matter if it is canned or fresh. 

Do you also buy canned tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, etc., etc.?

I WISH I could get canned broccoli and cucumbers and LETTUCE, especially.

I mean wtf?  why not?  I can't be expected to eat fresh salads all the time can I?

My dad loved tinned fruit such as Peaches and Apricots. I put it down to the lack of these fruits during the war and the only option was tinned - when the ship carrying these things made it through. His other favourite was Carnation tinned Milk. I haven't been near the stuff since. Do they still make it?

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Actually, all fish has mercury - from oceans, lakes,etc. Doesn't matter if it is canned or fresh. 

Do you also buy canned tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, etc., etc.?

I have been avoiding canned food, because I think there is some preservatives at certain level, probably no harm level, in any canned food.

12 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Stop feeding the Troll...  Every answer, she thinks is hers!

Every answer belongs to TT community, or people who access TT worldwide.

36 minutes ago, French bean said:

My dad loved tinned fruit such as Peaches and Apricots. I put it down to the lack of these fruits during the war and the only option was tinned - when the ship carrying these things made it through. His other favourite was Carnation tinned Milk. I haven't been near the stuff since. Do they still make it?

I do think tinned fruits has its unique taste that I like as well.

But I always tried to avoid them, because of preservatives.

14 hours ago, alderhill said:

Then read for ingredients. 

I tend to believe preservatives are not listed in ingredients.

I am sure ketchup has preservatives, but this is not listed as ingredients.

I remember in US, orange juices has comments on the box "no preservatives", and I was told, such thing does not mean absolutely no preservatives, but that the level of preservatives are under certain threshold.

Honestly I'd be more worried about heavy metals, plastic and other environmental pollutants. I guess herring, sardines and other small ocean fish are not too concentrated. You should limit the amount of tuna you eat. I'm not a fan of 'farmed' fish/seafood, and would prefer frozen wild.

Yes, this is what the websites are saying, heavy metals, and they are only talking about tuna for mercury, says something, you cannot consumer more than certain amount each week.

Probably harms from preservatives are ignorable compared to heavy metal.

If you're low on iron, drink iron-fortified juice. If you're low on protein+associated vitamins, eat more nuts or occasional tofu/tempeh/etc. If you need B12, try marmite! Certain breakfast cereals (check the labels) are also often fortified with B12. 

Thanks for the information. I believe it is the first case. I eat tons of nuts every week, and my doc says nuts cannot help this case.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

But Spidey, wouldn't you just love some canned beef pies, curry, etc.?

Fray Bentos. 

Now that takes me back a while.

I get to 'enjoy' one of these pies when a yacht delivery starts in the UK. Then someone thinks we need these instead of cooking for ourselves.

One a decade is enough...

But I spotted tinned spinach recently. Something the my kids here have never experienced. I was brought up on it (Popeye days)