Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bank no longer accepting my iTan numbers

53 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2019, 3:37:47, PandaMunich said:

within the EU

That's meant in the sense that when you're on holiday in the EU and use the phone there, it's included in your normal flat rate, i.e. it won't cost you extra.

But that's the same for every provider, since the change in roaming rules that the European Commission pushed through.

To do Internet banking, I use a Knoppix (Linux) system on a USB stick or on DVD and iTAN.

I would not consider this unsafe. Doesn't matter if there is a virus on my Windows. I don't use it.

(I know, I have to change in September)

20 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I haven't seen flat rates for EU calls anywhere: that could be very expensive for a provider.

SimQuadrat had one at 19.95€, but it's now only available to "old" customers who have to have had it continuously booked since before they discontinued it:  https://www.mobilfunk-talk.de/news/179721-simquadrat-allnet-flat-jetzt-fuer-eu-laender-und-schweiz-gueltig/

Also, old customers don't pay the 4.95€ Grundgebühr per month, and their SIM cards have unlimited validity, even if unused for years on end:

Which I can confirm from my own experience :D

My Pub to the Rescue.

So I went down to my local and raised the matter there. There were several People there who had unwanted smart phones and were willing to donate them free to me. This seems to be the way to go. Or buy them cheap on e bay.

On 5/4/2019, 11:37:22, colincostello said:

I would be willing to invest in a German pay as ou go phone.

On 5/4/2019, 11:48:40, AnswerToLife42 said:

What makes me angry is, that they offer free accounts and assume you have an smartphone. If not, get one with costs of 500€ per year. (I also found that that they still support mTAN).

• if you really only want to use the smartphone for internet banking, book the internet flat rate S (0.5 GB) at 3.99€ every 28 days: https://www.alditalk.de/internet-flat-s
  • if you also want to use the phone to surf, and to phone, book the "Paket S" (1.5 GB, unlimited calls to Germany and within the EU) at 7.99€ every 28 days: https://www.alditalk.de/paket-s

You do not need to have a data plan in your device, it will work in your local WLAN at home. 

It will probably work without a SIM car at all, but I have not tested it yet.

When you change your smartphone (even if you keep your SIM and therefore your mobile phone number), you will have to go through your bank's "app authentication process" again - the app is tied to the serial number (IMEI) of your smartphone.

I am not sure it is tied to the IMEI because most pushtan apps support tablets which mostly have no IMEI.

On 5/4/2019, 11:59:28, fraufruit said:

Or buy an old one and get pay as you go. I only pay about €80 per year for mine and it is my primary handy. Just don't do data or use it much. I use it mostly for texting when I'm meeting up with people.

Its not for internet banking as I get text conformations from my bank on the little flip lid type phone, but for getting whatsapp and sending photos quickly to clients, I got a cheap old smartphone, and a sim card that is for data only (I use it mostly from the house wifi so very little other data used), that cost 2€ a month. It is on a Congstar tarriff if that helps tou :)

1 hour ago, colincostello said:

And These Card readres cannot really cost 35 euros, can they.? I am looking at my UK Card Readers and they do not look so expensive.

Mine did cost about 10-15 Euro. I have the REINER SCT tanJack optic CX Online Banking TAN Generator. It works fine but the optical part is not working with every screen, which is a bit annoying because then you have to enter a lot of numbers.

7 minutes ago, colincostello said:

About 10-15 euros seem ok. I might go for that.

€10 euro a pop at sparkasse - I bought a handful of these - they work with some other banks cards as well  ( volksbank for example )

s-l640.jpg.884f826d8f119ab7d6e760dbd0dbd

I use Netzclub, which offers free internet, 100MB per month, which is ok for whatsapp, email etc and use it, maybe for google maps 2 or 3 times per month. I connect my handy, with a SIP account with app), which means I can telephone, anywhere cheap - well 99% of European landline numbers are free and mobile numbers about 1 cent per min. I also use the SIP account on  my home phone so I can get the same coverage anywhere. Couple of years ago I was in Veitnam/Cambodia and could ring back home or anyway for almost nothing ( well I needed a local SIM card for that or WIFI).

Netzclub, send you about 3 SMS's per month as adverting to pay for your free internet, you can get 400MB free per month if you accept video adverting, I have not done that.

Of course 100MB or 400MB per moth is nothing, if you want to download photo videos, youtube etc, but just used for meetups/emails, its ok.

Volksbank and Sparkasse share several solutions as they collaborate on various topics (a bit like Cashgroup sharing free ATMs across all affiliated banks).

As I posted some days ago:

The readers are on offer by the banks at a price (comdirect charges about 35€; some are cheaper) and you can't necessarily just use any reader for any bank (comdirect's is for example specific). 

Maybe re-read the rest of my post as it was all about comdirect.

From comdirect's own site:

Sie können das photoTAN-Verfahren statt kostenlos mit der App auch mit einem Lesegerät nutzen. Dieses können Sie unter Verwaltung > PIN/TAN-Verwaltung > photoTAN für einmalig 34,90 Euro bestellen und genau wie ein Smartphone aktivieren.

Die Lesegeräte von comdirect und der Commerzbank sind untereinander kompatibel (Ausnahme: Commerzbank-Lesegerät der 1. Generation). Lesegeräte anderer Institute können Sie nicht nutzen.

Wir geben die uns entstehenden Kosten für das Lesegerät direkt weiter. Bitte haben Sie Verständnis dafür, dass wir Ihnen daher das Lesegerät nicht vergünstigt anbieten können.

The higher cost is apparently because comdirect uses the photoTAN technology for its readers rather than basic TAN generators (where you have to enter all the bank transfer information).

If you want a cheaper solution avoiding the use of an actual phone, you'll need to try a different bank.