Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bank no longer accepting my iTan numbers

53 posts in this topic

Hi fraufruit! I'm not really around...just pop in from time to time :-)

The SMS option might not be around forever. Sparkasse is phasing it out and is forcing me to either download an app or get a Lesegerat - I think from the middle of June - if I want to continue online banking.

4 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I had this option and was told that every SMS the bank sent me would cost 10 cents. You should really check if this is the case in your case. I am not sure the bank would absorb this cost.

They are not charging for the SMS. Wüstenrot is an Internet bank and they only charge for a handful of things. 

Not sure how it is with yours, but both banks I use have been pestering me with this thing every single time I signed on for the past year.   Norisbank implemented the no paper TAN thing last year.  And as a coincidence, DKB implemented it not long time ago because yesterday I signed in and they had the announcement of no paper TAN anymore.

If they pestered you and you ignored the thing then Selber schuld.

P.S., for pushTAN it doesn't have to be an Smartphone.  A tablet would work as well (except probably Amazon Tablets because I bet the apps are only in the Google Play Store).

Thanks for all the informative Posts. I am not paying anything for a Card Reader. Bloody cheek of these banks. I have used a Card Reader for some time for my UK bank accounts and this is my preferred option, not least because I have a UK dumb phone and I am pretty sure that German Banks will not accept this.

But one question. In the UK. These Card Readers are specfic to Banks, but not to people .

All my Family use just the one Card Reader as we all have the same bank. Will this be the same in Germany? If so,could one be shared?

We've been using the card readers for several years, one for BBBank and the other for Sparkasse.  Each of the card readers will work with only one EC card, and the card had to be assigned to the reader when it was ordered from the bank.  My wife and I have EC cards for each account, but only one will work with the reader from each bank.

Himself says that one can put the photo tan app from one's bank into any old phone and use instead of a reader.

I know nothing.

On 5/1/2019, 12:32:34, colincostello said:

So I logged on to my bank this morning to pay the rent for May. To my suprise, my bank no longer accepts my iTan numbers. I am sure that they are not out of date. Nor have I used them all.

My bank advised my to download some app but I do not have a smartfone and I never will.

So now I have to order a Lesegerät. This will take a few days.  I must order this by phone

Also, they may need my Access data and this may be another problem as I alwasy forget my Passwords and telepins numbers.

I will have to pay my landlord by cash this month and try to sort this mess out by next month.

But why does my bank suddenly not accept my itans?

My bank (ING-Diba) also really wants me on the App.

When I went digging, I did find out that the mTAN system will stay in operation (in the fine print, they really want me on that app). It's an SMS confirmation system, so no smartphone required. You can check if your bank has a similar system.

Thanks. I will do that. But just to round off a few stressful days…… A Young Woman offered me her seat on the tram. This is far worse than all this tan Business.

5 hours ago, colincostello said:

Comdirect want to charge me 35 euros for a Card Reader. No way, Jose. Time to look for a new bank? But aren't

they all going this way?

I see here:  https://www.comdirect.de/suche?q=mobiletan%20geb%C3%BChr&from=Servicebereich&site=comdirect  that you could opt for mobile tan by sms (no smart phone needed) but it would cost you 9 cent per sms.  

I bank with Wüstenrot and they do it for free.  At least they are not charging yet, whatever may happen later.

On 3.5.2019, 11:25:18, Maarsch said:

My bank (ING-Diba) also really wants me on the App.

When I went digging, I did find out that the mTAN system will stay in operation (in the fine print, they really want me on that app). It's an SMS confirmation system, so no smartphone required. You can check if your bank has a similar system.

I dug even deeper and found that they think about also using the card reader method.

More information in summer.

What makes me angry is, that they offer free accounts and assume you have an smartphone. If not, get one with costs of 500€ per year. (I also found that that they still support mTAN).

8 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

If not, get one with costs of 500€ per year.

Or buy an old one and get pay as you go. I only pay about €80 per year for mine and it is my primary handy. Just don't do data or use it much. I use it mostly for texting when I'm meeting up with people.

2 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

I dug even deeper and found that they think about also using the card reader method.

More information in summer.

What makes me angry is, that they offer free accounts and assume you have an smartphone. If not, get one with costs of 500€ per year. (I also found that that they still support mTAN).

I pay 10 euros a month.

I suggest that rather than get angry maybe change supplier.

500 Euros a year what were you thinking.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I pay 10 euros a month.

Or people could simply buy a smartphone from AldiTalk, it comes with an AldiTalk SIM (on the O2 network): https://www.alditalk.de/c/smartphones?sort=price-asc&q=%3Arelevance&show=Page#

Then:

• if you really only want to use the smartphone for internet banking, book the internet flat rate S (0.5 GB) at 3.99€ every 28 days: https://www.alditalk.de/internet-flat-s
  • if you also want to use the phone to surf, and to phone, book the "Paket S" (1.5 GB, unlimited calls to Germany and within the EU) at 7.99€ every 28 days: https://www.alditalk.de/paket-s

Then install your bank's app, go through your bank's "app authentication process" and from then on use the Push-TAN to "sign" your bank transfers.

When you change your smartphone (even if you keep your SIM and therefore your mobile phone number), you will have to go through your bank's "app authentication process" again - the app is tied to the serial number (IMEI) of your smartphone.

The mTAN aka SMS-TAN is living on borrowed time, it won't take long until it's phased out competely: https://www.welt.de/print/die_welt/finanzen/article192924855/Die-Tan-ist-tot-es-lebe-die-Tan.html

On 5/4/2019, 3:37:47, PandaMunich said:

if you also want to use the phone to surf, and to phone, book the "Paket S" (1.5 GB, unlimited calls to Germany and within the EU) at 7.99€ every 28 days: https://www.alditalk.de/paket-s

I called a number in Netherlands (+31..), and it consumed my 10€ deposit. I think this package allows unlimited calls only within Germany.

I'm with O2 and have an extra pack for EU calls: €10 for 120 minutes. My flat is for Germany only. I haven't seen flat rates for EU calls anywhere: that could be very expensive for a provider.