Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bank no longer accepting my iTan numbers

53 posts in this topic

So I logged on to my bank this morning to pay the rent for May. To my suprise, my bank no longer accepts my iTan numbers. I am sure that they are not out of date. Nor have I used them all.

My bank advised my to download some app but I do not have a smartfone and I never will.

So now I have to order a Lesegerät. This will take a few days.  I must order this by phone

Also, they may need my Access data and this may be another problem as I alwasy forget my Passwords and telepins numbers.

I will have to pay my landlord by cash this month and try to sort this mess out by next month.

But why does my bank suddenly not accept my itans?

I have no idea why this has happened, but what you can do is go to your local bank and transfer the money using the SB machine. (selbstbedienung- self service). This will insure that you can pay your landlord on time.

You can also set up a "dauerauftrag" which transfers the rent automatically each month. Best is to go to the bank tomorrow and ask a bank employee to help you.

1 hour ago, colincostello said:

New EU regulation meaning after September the paper tan thing can no longer be used. Yes it is done at the EU level so affects every bank in the EU. You should have had a warning saying something like on the 3rd log in the itan can not be used. Strange you never had that.

I may have had such a warning. When I log on there is almost always some message waiting for me. Experience has shown me that most of these are not important and are mainly reports or promotional stuff, so I disregard them . That may have been a mistake in this case.

21 minutes ago, colincostello said:

Using the SB maschines is free?

Yes it is at my bank, but my bank is not an online one, it has branches in every city. I have to pay every month for the account (7 euros) but I find there are more benefits paying, having bank employees and branches where I can go into if I have a problem.

26 minutes ago, colincostello said:

Thanks for that. I should have thought of a Standing order before. 

It makes everything more easy, especially if you go on holiday you know the rent will be transferred automatically.

As far as I know, Comdirect is connected with Commerzbank. You can go to one of their branches for help. That's what I did a few years ago when I needed to withdraw a large amount of cash. Things may have changed by now. 

Anyone?

I'm at Wüstenrot and I get my TAN by SMS so no need for a smart phone.

Although agreed that if you have to make a monthly payment of any kind, dauerauftrag is absolutely the way to go.  No headaches as long as there is enough money in your account and if you are no longer paying, you can cancel it any time.

54 minutes ago, colincostello said:

So I logged on to my bank this morning to pay the rent for May. To my suprise, my bank no longer accepts my iTan numbers. I am sure that they are not out of date. Nor have I used them all.

My bank advised my to download some app but I do not have a smartfone and I never will.

So now I have to order a Lesegerät. This will take a few days.  I must order this by phone

Also, they may need my Access data and this may be another problem as I alwasy forget my Passwords and telepins numbers.

I will have to pay my landlord by cash this month and try to sort this mess out by next month.

Having a street bank does not help, n a public holiday or weekend as the street bank s closed anyway.

What many people do ( who do not want a smartphone ) is write your telephone number and PIN numbers down, so you can always  ring up your bank and transfer money over the phone. Of course you do not write down your actual PIN number, but you write down a number in an encoded format, for example take 1111 of your PIN, when you want to use your PIN then only you know what number to ad or take off to find out your actual PIN. Obviously choice a method that is easy for you to remember.

Although, if @RF is right, you will no longer be able to do an online banking, because you will never get a phone/smartphone!!. Therefore you will have to do everything over the telephone, so I guess you will start to remember your PIN as you are going to use it for all banking operations.

Normally, I try to have at least 2 or 3 ways to pay for things, just having one way to pay for something can lead to these kinda problems.

13 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I'm at Wüstenrot and I get my TAN by SMS so no need for a smart phone.

Although agreed that if you have to make a monthly payment of any kind, dauerauftrag is absolutely the way to go.  No headaches as long as there is enough money in your account and if you are no longer paying, you can cancel it any time.

Don't you have to pay something like 10 cent for every SMS sent?

thats, good just like @colincostello

But if RF is right, the EU has banned papier TAN, then that will no longer work, I guess it will be rolled out to each bank.

I use the system like @LeonG,  when I make a payment on the PC, the bank sends me an IPIN, ( a number ) to my mobile phone(SMS), which I need to enter into my PC before the transaction will be completed.

But it means you have to have a phone.

@FF I am surprised, all banks do not have a TAN,ITAN verification system, as just entering a unchanging password, seems less secure to me, as once somebody else knows your unchanging password, then they can use your account - getting a new ITAN for each transaction seems safe to me.

Not really sure, its probably safe which ever system you use

Just now, RenegadeFurther said:

Don't you have to pay something like 10 cent for every SMS sent?

I'm not sending any SMS' though, just receiving them.  I assume my bank is paying and they probably have a good deal or a flat rate.

9 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I'm not sending any SMS' though, just receiving them.  I assume my bank is paying and they probably have a good deal or a flat rate.

I had this option and was told that every SMS the bank sent me would cost 10 cents. You should really check if this is the case in your case. I am not sure the bank would absorb this cost.

46 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Although, if @RF is right, you will no longer be able to do an online banking, because you will never get a phone/smartphone!!. Therefore you will have to do everything over the telephone, so I guess you will start to remember your PIN as you are going to use it for all banking operations.

I do my online banking with a card reader. 

Yes, I think Himself got one of those when they did away with the paper TAN numbers.

Having said that, the OP is looking for a quicker solution.

As of September ( I don't remember if my letter said beginning or end of), iTAN letters will become a thing of the past. As per EU-regulations, online banking will have to be secured by TWO systems. The only options I have heard about to date are:

computer and photo-TAN (smartphone)

computer and SMS-TAN (mobile phone) - some banks offer the service for free; many charge a few cents per transaction.

computer and reader.

The readers are on offer by the banks at a price (comdirect charges about 35€; some are cheaper) and you can't necessarily just use any reader for any bank (comdirect's is for example specific). 

As far as I know, comdirect users can't use the Commerzbank's SB-machines (only their ATMs; Commerzbank has become more restrictive in the last years about which services it offers to comdirect customers, who have a free-of-charge bank account and are therefore not entitled to over-the-counter services. It no longer offers currency exchange to comdirect customers, as an example).

Comdirect did indeed send a notification that this would happen (although I didn't think it was going to be enforced before September). I did a search for a new bank, not because I won't use photo-TAN, but because I wanted a back-up in case of a lost/stolen phone...but all the banks are going this route and I saw no alternative other than buying the reader. So I called comdirect to ask what you can do in an emergency and was told I could do this by telephone banking..but that I should log in and raise the limit allowable (as the default is zero). Afair, I needed a (photo-)TAN to change the limit online for my telephone banking. 

@OP: if you really don't have a mobile phone at all (you said Smartphone, so *maybe* you can go the SMS-route - or maybe you meant you don't have any mobile phone at all), you'll need to get the reader soon, even to set up Daueraufträge and the like.