Any Aussie expats out there?

13 posts in this topic

Hi all. Posted this in the general section but might be more suitable to this one.

I'm looking for any Australian citizens in Heidelberg or nearby to witness my postal vote for the upcoming election on May 18. Of course, I would be happy to witness yours too if you're voting. Drop me a line. Cheers, Rosco 

Alternatively, is there anyone about who falls into any of the follwing categories and would be willing to witness?

• an officer of the Defence Force or of the naval, military or air forces of a Commonwealth country
  • a member of the civil or public service of a State or Territory or of a Commonwealth country
  • a Justice of the Peace for a State or Territory or a Commonwealth country
  • a minister of religion or medical practitioner resident in a State or Territory or a Commonwealth country

Strange requirements aren't they? Thanks!

Just a thought. Are there any Aussie bars in your area? It might be possible to meet a few people with your same problem and organize a vote-a-round.

24 minutes ago, MakingGravy said:

Alternatively, is there anyone about who falls into any of the follwing categories and would be willing to witness?

• an officer of the Defence Force or of the naval, military or air forces of a Commonwealth country
  • a member of the civil or public service of a State or Territory or of a Commonwealth country
  • a Justice of the Peace for a State or Territory or a Commonwealth country
  • a minister of religion or medical practitioner resident in a State or Territory or a Commonwealth country

Strange requirements aren't they? Thanks!

Very strange indeed. For Dutch/European elections I just enclose a copy of my Dutch passport and put everything in a large orange envelope :). I'm registered in The Hague as a postal voter from abroad. Today, I voted for the European elections.

Yeah I thought that was weird too so I looked it up.  If you are intending to return to Australia with 6 years you can register as an overseas elector.  If you are living permanently overseas you cannot vote and must file a de-enrollment form.  Source:  https://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/overseas/index.htm  Did you register and get a postal vote form?  It would be odd if they still required a witness.

I'm registered as a postal voter and my forms are on the way. A witness is always required, I've done this many times. And unless I'm not planning to return to Australia, I can stay on the electoral roll. I do intend to, just not sure when! 

So no doctors or civil servants from a Commonwealth country about? 

On 4/30/2019, 9:14:41, LukeSkywalker said:

Very strange indeed. For Dutch/European elections I just enclose a copy of my Dutch passport and put everything in a large orange envelope :). I'm registered in The Hague as a postal voter from abroad. Today, I voted for the European elections.

I think I could enclose copy of my passport too but I thought it'd be more fun to do it this way. 

On 4/30/2019, 8:51:43, fraufruit said:

Just a thought. Are there any Aussie bars in your area? It might be possible to meet a few people with your same problem and organize a vote-a-round.

Mercifully there are no bars like that in Heidelberg (cringe)! 

I lived in London for a while and the way the antipodean culture was celebrated there by some made me wonder why they'd ever left home. I for one didn't travel half way across the globe just to hang out with my compatriots! But perhaps Aussie bars in Germany are not full of yobbos and I should reserve my judgement. 

Fair enough.  I felt that way about US expats until I'd been gone for several years, then I began to soften my opinion and in some cases seek them out.

I'm in Karlsruhe and also looking for a fellow Aussie for this purpose. A mate was visiting on the day my papers arrived - but he's deregistered from the electoral role, d'oh!

I gave up and have sent it off with a copy of my passport and a declaration. You could do the same. Would have been a nice opportunity to meet a fellow expat but all good.