Driving Restrictions Frankfurt

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone have an update on the ban on certain vehicles in Frankfurt in relation to emissions? I thought up to Euro 5 would be banned but cannot find any recent news on this and still see lots of old vehicles driving around the city?

I may as well post this here... Anyone heading from FFM towards Nur berg, be prepared for delays near the offenbach exchange.. 3 car accident.. One is an electric car that's smoldering... Rescue crews seem to be standing well back.. 🤔

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

One is an electric car that's smoldering... Rescue crews seem to be standing well back.. 🤔

One of my flying pals is in the local voluntary fire brigade.

He says they do not attempt to put out fires in electric vehicles.

21 hours ago, HEM said:

One of my flying pals is in the local voluntary fire brigade.

He says they do not attempt to put out fires in electric vehicles.

I saw an article about local fire services having containers.

They push or lift the burning (!) car into the container and smother it with foam / water.

10.000 litres will cover a car and keep it cool.

story

On ‎25‎.‎01‎.‎2020‎ ‎16‎:‎36‎:‎25, HH_Sailor said:

I saw an article about local fire services having containers.

They push or lift the burning (!) car into the container and smother it with foam / water.

10.000 litres will cover a car and keep it cool.

What if the e-car catches fire whilst being parked in an underground parking lot?

11 minutes ago, franklan said:

What if the e-car catches fire whilst being parked in an underground parking lot?

What if it happens on a normal car? Which is 5-10x more likely to happen?

7 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

What if it happens on a normal car? Which is 5-10x more likely to happen?

Fire fighters will use water on a normal car.

They are not keen to do that on an e-car. And this option doesn't apply in an underground parking.

That's my question. And nobody asked about probability, IIRC.

According to a recent FEMA report, “from 2014 to 2016 an estimated 171,500 highway vehicle fires occurred in the United States, resulting in an annual average of 345 deaths; 1,300 injuries; and $1.1 billion in property loss. These highway vehicle fires accounted for 13 percent of fires responded to by fire departments across the nation.”

The report adds, “Approximately one in eight fires responded to by fire departments across the nation is a highway vehicle fire. This does not include the tens of thousands of fire department responses to highway vehicle accident sites.”

In May, three people were killed when a gas station in Virginia exploded. In February, two cars were destroyed when a gas station in North Carolina burst into flames.

The point is, the vehicles we use to get from Point A to Point B all rely on large amounts of stored energy, whether it is in liquid form like gasoline or in the form of electrons stored in batteries. We think nothing of it until something goes wrong.

The news media likes to focus on the dangers of electric cars while ignoring that there are more than 150 fuel fires in vehicles in America every day. Whether that’s because of the “If it bleeds, it leads” mentality in the news business or because of the influence of traditional automakers and behind-the-scenes actors like the disinformation network sponsored by the Koch brothers, the impression the public gets is that electric cars are scary, potentially dangerous devices. Better think twice before buying one.

All new technology is scary. But the risk of fire while driving a fossil fueled car is much greater than it is with an electric car. We need to take a breath and calm down about battery fires. Yes, they do happen and, yes, they are frightening. But they are relatively rare, despite what the news media would have us believe. Drive on electrons and be happy. When it comes to fires, you are safer in an electric car than in a conventional car.

source

Nah. My sources are better and there are a lot of them saying the same thing. I check around before posting unlike your friend.B)

6 hours ago, franklan said:

Fire fighters will use water on a normal car.

They are not keen to do that on an e-car. And this option doesn't apply in an underground parking.

That's my question. And nobody asked about probability, IIRC.

Gasoline produces a class B fire, which you definitely should not use water on.

6 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

You are posting like J²  :huh:

Please stop...;)

SpiderPig, you are the one posting unfounded bullshit like J2! Please stick to the facts, even if they don't support your anti-EV conspiracy theory!

21 hours ago, franklan said:

Maybe they will implement restrictions or bans.  Like some paranoid people did with LPG cars in some places like shopping centers in Eastern Europe or in the Eurotunnel.